Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Paul Kierstead

Default Experiences hammer veenering?

I have made a solemn oath: I can buy blades and "wear related" items,
jig supplies, fastening hardware and wood for the shop, but nothing
else. Even planes are out (that is a toughie, though if I stumble across
a bunch of excellent quality cheap molding planes I WILL sin). OK, I am
not 100% successful at keeping it (and man does those HVLP threads make
me tempted) but I am working hard to keeping it.

But, I really would like to try a little veneering and -- if that works
-- start making my own veneer (for my own uses, not commercially). I
don't own a veneer press, don't own a vacuum press. Reading a very old
article by Tage Frid, he makes hammer veneering sound pretty doable.
However, a later article by Ian Kirby says it is pretty hard to do.

Has anyone had any experience doing this that they would be willing to
share? Particularly on success rate, number of tries to "get it right"
and success with thick veneers of the sort you tend to get off of a
bandsaw/planer set-up.

Paul K

20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself(Deck Designer v1, Fence Designer v5, P TEL UK diy 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Water Hammer from Toilet anon UK diy 7 December 4th 03 01:36 PM
Chicago Electrics Rotary Hammer Drill Review Barry Criner Metalworking 0 September 21st 03 02:20 PM