Dave W

Default Experiences hammer veenering?

Interesting you should ask. I read the Frid article and it seemed so easy.
I was making a dining room table.....My wife agreed to help me with my first
hammer veneering project. That was 25 years ago. It became known as our
first "divorce". Talk about mess...hot (burned) hide glue, burned fingers,
wrinkled veneer, terrible seams and lots of yelling. We are still together
but....I have taken a solemn pledge....no more hammer veneering. The table
is still in daily use; with its cherry plywood top. Anyone want a slightly
used veneer hammer?
Dave
"Kim Whitmyre" wrote in message
In article pmkierst-079689.02080109032004
@nntp.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com,
says...
Has anyone had any experience doing this that they would be willing to
share? Particularly on success rate, number of tries to "get it right"
and success with thick veneers of the sort you tend to get off of a
bandsaw/planer set-up.

Nope! But let me suggest "Making Classic English Furniture," by Paul
Richardson, Guild of MasterCraftsman Publishers. He has an excellent
section of the technique of veneering: demystifies it very well. He uses
hide glue, which eliminates most of the problems relating to finishing
the project.

Kim