Ah10201

Default is tradesman the same as craftsman?

is tradesman the same as craftsman? are they made by the same people or are
they complelety different manufacturers? if they are different, is tradesman
appreciably better than craftsman tools?

thanks...
Rob

The only product I know that uses the "Tradesman" name is a line of clamps
made by Bessey. These are very good bar clamps. Not their top of the line
K Body but still a good clamp. "Craftsman" is a line of tools made for
Sears by a variety of manufacturers.

"Craftsman" is often referred to in this newsgroup as "Crapsman".

Rob

"Ah10201" wrote in message
is tradesman the same as craftsman? are they made by the same people or

are
they complelety different manufacturers? if they are different, is

tradesman
appreciably better than craftsman tools?

thanks...

Toller

"Ah10201" wrote in message
is tradesman the same as craftsman? are they made by the same people or

are
they complelety different manufacturers? if they are different, is

tradesman
appreciably better than craftsman tools?

Tradesman is their really crappy line. I looked at a tradesman pipe wrench
that I doubt could turn anything. Good price though. g

LRod

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:24:28 -0600, "Rob" wrote:

The only product I know that uses the "Tradesman" name is a line of clamps
made by Bessey. These are very good bar clamps. Not their top of the line
K Body but still a good clamp.

In all fairness, I don't think you can properly compare them that way.
Although both work with bars, I believe that the K-Bodies are a
different class of clamp (as are the cabinetmasters and the
Gros-Stabil of the same type). Certainly the K-Bodies are top grade
clamps in that class.

The Tradesman clamps are what I would characterize as F-clamps. They
are perhaps a lighter duty clamp, albeit for different tasks. It's my
opinion that they are the best of the F-clamps.

Opinion worth amount paid for.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Kevin Daly

I picked up a Tradesman 5 spd. 8" drill press when Sears had them for half
price. $45 was hard to pass up. It came with a 5 year warranty. It's worked
quite well for me.

Kevin Daly
Mattatuck Astronomical Society
http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/index.html

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

The Tradesman clamps are what I would characterize as F-clamps. They
are perhaps a lighter duty clamp, albeit for different tasks. It's my
opinion that they are the best of the F-clamps.

Agreed ... the deep throat on the Bessey Tradesman clamp allows you to get
clamping pressure farther from the end/edge of wide parts when necessary. I
have a few of the 12" that I probably use more than any other clamp ... they
seem to be rarely mentioned around here as an option.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04