Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cove Molding

Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

__
| *
| * -------------1 inch radius
| *
| *
|__________*|

| |
|--- 1.5"-----|
| |

Thanks for any help.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

Amana - and I'm sure others too - make 1" radius cove bits.
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/49092.html

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you start with wider stock, 3", make the cove with the tablesaw and then
split it in half. Take a look at this article. May work for you.. Article
has a rather elaborate guid fence tie down system. You just need to clamp
it securely at each end..

http://woodgears.ca/cove/index.html

"rich" wrote in message
Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

__
| *
| * -------------1 inch radius
| *
| *
|__________*|

| |
|--- 1.5"-----|
| |

Thanks for any help.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's some more tips from Rockler.. Not pushing their jig. You can fashion
one out of four pieces of wood bolted together at the corners. I'm sure
they're handmade jigs galore out there on the internet.

http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000352AA.pdf

"rich" wrote in message
Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

__
| *
| * -------------1 inch radius
| *
| *
|__________*|

| |
|--- 1.5"-----|
| |

Thanks for any help.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"rich" wrote in message
Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. *I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. *But that was a wide shallow cut. *Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? *No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

__
| * * *
| * * ** * -------------1 inch radius
| * * * * *
| * * * * * * *
|__________*|

| * * * * * * * * * * |
|--- 1.5"-----|
| * * * * * * * * * * |

Thanks for any help.....- Hide quoted text -

Jim: Thanks, that's just what I needed!!!!! Never thought about
cutting "two" then splitting them in half. Must have been brain dead.

Off to increase my sawdust supply.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:
Can you start with wider stock, 3", make the cove with the tablesaw and
then split it in half. Take a look at this article. May work for
you.. Article has a rather elaborate guid fence tie down system. You
just need to clamp it securely at each end..

http://woodgears.ca/cove/index.html

Since he did this before, he probably know this, but for anyone else
reading...
....keep in mind that cutting coves with a table saw won't give you a
constant radius, but a ellipse.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
Hi, All.

I need to make a cove molding from a 1.5" square piece of fir. I made
some for another project, 4" wide with the table saw, cut at an
angle. But that was a wide shallow cut. Can you make a round cut
with a 1 inch radius??? No one makes cove cutters larger than 3/4
inch, so I'm guessing there is a trick.

Your question has already been addressed, but I found the following to
be helpful when doing cove cuts on the table saw:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/nmw030_pop.asp

Example:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab14.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab15.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab24.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Example:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab14.jpg

Your setup is very simple and all you really need.
I started with two fences but quickly found all you need is one on the
far side of the blade.
Those grippers are a good way to go, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 11:59*am, -MIKE- wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Example:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab14.jpg

Your setup is very simple and all you really need.
I started with two fences but quickly found all you need is one on the
far side of the blade.
Those grippers are a good way to go, too.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Just made a jig using the cove calculator, and initial pass on some
scrap worked well. Clamping the jig to the fence is cool, and
adjustable, but I now see that a board just clamped to the table would
work well also.

Learned a new skill today. Thanks to all!
Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:59 am, -MIKE- wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Example:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CornCab14.jpg

Your setup is very simple and all you really need.
I started with two fences but quickly found all you need is one on the
far side of the blade.
Those grippers are a good way to go, too.

Just made a jig using the cove calculator, and initial pass on some
scrap worked well. Clamping the jig to the fence is cool, and
adjustable, but I now see that a board just clamped to the table would
work well also.

Learned a new skill today. Thanks to all!

It's one of those things that gives you two immediate thoughts:
1) That was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
B) Why haven't I been doing this for years?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Light cove MiamiCuse Home Repair 15 February 21st 08 03:27 AM
Questions about vinyl cove molding commo1982 Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 12:30 PM
Where to buy a set of 5/8" cove molding knives Dave Hall Woodworking 1 January 11th 06 04:46 PM
Cove and pin Joint TeamCasa Woodworking 7 January 23rd 04 04:00 PM
cove lighting Kaptain Kremin UK diy 1 November 12th 03 06:14 AM