Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Scott Duncan

Default New Contractors saw vibrates - how much vibration is acceptable???

I just purchased a new contractors saw and I think it vibrates too
much. I don't want to spell out the brand yet (for people using search
engines) but let's just say that it's green, cost $649, was
recommended by Fine Woodworking as a best buy, and comes from Taiwan
via the "Great White North". Something like vibration is hard to
quantify so I'll describe it in terms of the nickel test. My father
has a 40-year-old Delta Rockwell contractor style saw that does not
vibrate at all. The nickel will stand up forever. It has a standard
V-belt, not a powertwist link belt. The saw I'm replacing is a $100
Delta benchtop saw which also passes the nickel test but is not nearly
as smooth as it's grandfather. Those two saws form my basis for
comparison.

When I first turned on my new saw, not only did the nickel fall down
immediately, it started moving around the table slightly. I could see
the vibration in the table and especially in the motor. After wearing
in the belt and making some tweaks to perfect the pulley alignment,
the vibrations reduced somewhat but they still seem excessive to me. I
stand three nickels on the table and when I turn on the saw, one falls
down immediately, one usually falls down after 3-5 seconds, and the
third falls down after 10-15 seconds. I can no longer see the
vibrations in the table but can feel them, and I can see the motor
vibrating slightly. Is the in the range of normal for a new
contractors saw or does this saw have a problem?

I aligned the pulleys using a straight edge as described in the
manual. I've run the motor with the belt off and it is smooth. The
blade spins smoothly as well. I tried two other v-belts that I picked
up at automotive stores. I've ordered (but have not recieved) a 3/8
powertwist link belt for it because I couldn't find one locally.
However, if this saw has some kind of problem, I want to return it or
exchange it, not mask the problem with a link belt.

Thanks,
Scott