Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air nailers and dogs

Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Dave - Parkville
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Some dogs have a propensity to get "gun shy" from loud, sharp sounds ...
I would say you have a "gun shy" pooch.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Swingman wrote:
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Some dogs have a propensity to get "gun shy" from loud, sharp sounds ...
I would say you have a "gun shy" pooch.

Yep, I agree, having observed very much the same thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Swingman wrote:
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Some dogs have a propensity to get "gun shy" from loud, sharp sounds ...
I would say you have a "gun shy" pooch.

Yep, I agree, having observed very much the same thing.

Hey, Doug ... don't mean to hijack the thread, but how's that Eagle
Scout doing?

It's a good bet you still have a case of the "proud papas".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 8:25*pm, "Dave - Parkville, MD"
wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. *My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. *He wasn't
in the same room. *The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Dave - Parkville

Ours is Maltese and Poodle mix...and she wants me to pick her up every
time a woodpecker makes its typical sound.
She also goes all goofy when I start the burr-grinder for my morning
coffee. No fan of the garburator either. She used to get spooked by
passing motorcycles but no longer pays any attention to them.
Nailgun? I have a feeling she'd freak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-10-06, Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Gun shy dogs are pretty common. It can be a real problem around the
Fourth of July, some dogs scared out of their wits and run off in a
panic, never to be recovered. A neighbor last their dog this way.

I'm no expert, but I've seen info on tv about how to train a dog to
not be gun shy. You start out by doing the initial training during
feeding, when all their attention is on getting that food from the
dish to their tummy. While they are eating, bang a cooking pot with a
spoon, starting slowly and not too loud. Over time, you just keep
raising the volume of the banging, later moving to louder noises, all
this while they are eating. I suppose you move up to party poppers,
blanks, whatever, until they no longer spook at loud noises. I've
never done it, but it makes perfect sense.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. 153.158...
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Dave - Parkville

Did you nail his tail or ears?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in

Did you nail his tail or ears?

LMAO

As someone mentioned, he also got nervous on 4th of July.

Dave - Parkville, MD
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. 207.163...
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in

Did you nail his tail or ears?

LMAO

As someone mentioned, he also got nervous on 4th of July.

Dave - Parkville, MD

My dog totally freaks on the 4th and/or New Years but has no problem with
any tools being used. Power tools (hand, bench, or stationary), hand tools,
etc. are no problem. I've never used a powder charged driver around him,
though.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06 Oct 2009 00:25:04 GMT, "Dave - Parkville, MD"
wrote:

in the same room. The only thing we could attribute it to was using the
nailer.

I'm sure it was just a new noise situation and probably could be
attenuated by repeated similar but lower intensity noises if you
wanted to put the effort in.

I took my indoor cat over to my friend's place to introduce her to
grass and the outdoors because she'd never seen them before. I put her
in the back yard with a harness on and a 6 foot leash attached to it
staked to the ground. It started to rain and thunder. She was fine
with it all watching with interest while sitting under the outcropping
of the rear porch. She had heard it all before while looking out my
apartment window. Ten minutes into the thunder and lightening, it
started to hail and she started shaking uncontrollably in fear. Had to
take her inside at that time. Took a number of minutes for her to calm
down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Some dogs have a propensity to get "gun shy" from loud, sharp sounds ... I
would say you have a "gun shy" pooch.

As I am typing our "shy" Great Dane and I share the area under the desk
because I brought a 12' board inside the house this morning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Have two dauchounds, the mini one goes nuts whenever I use my DeWalt 18v
drill and Passload finish nailer. He is not spooked by the nailer, it is the
fan that drives him nuts. The other, long haired regular barely will lift
his head when I am working around him...go figure :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
. 207.163...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in

Did you nail his tail or ears?

LMAO

As someone mentioned, he also got nervous on 4th of July.

Dave - Parkville, MD

My dog totally freaks on the 4th and/or New Years but has no problem
with any tools being used. Power tools (hand, bench, or stationary),
hand tools, etc. are no problem. I've never used a powder charged
driver around him, though.

Ed

I've got two golden retrivers. One doesn't seem bothered by anything.
The other one has no problem with fireworks, shotguns, or air nailers
but cowers when the automatic ice maker in the freezer kicks on???

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 8:19*am, Nova wrote:
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
.207.163...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in

Did you nail his tail or ears?

LMAO

As someone mentioned, he also got nervous on 4th of July.

Dave - Parkville, MD

My dog totally freaks on the 4th and/or New Years but has no problem
with any tools being used. Power tools (hand, bench, or stationary),
hand tools, etc. are no problem. *I've never used a powder charged
driver around him, though.

Ed

I've got two golden retrivers. *One doesn't seem bothered by anything.
The other one has no problem with fireworks, shotguns, or air nailers
but cowers when the automatic ice maker in the freezer kicks on???

I grew up with a German Shepherd who was totally afraid of the leash.
Other than that, he was a great dog: friendly, protective, playful. No
problem in him going for a with us and heeling and obeying, but he
would cower & tremble anytime we showed him the leash, and he would
just lie there and shake and refuse to move if you hooked it on his
collar.

The only explanation was that we used a leash to hold him after he sat
on a freshly painted porch and we cleaned his butt with varsol (paint
thinner Tom). He howled a bit as some got on his anus.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" writes:

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in message
.153.158...
Has anyone expirenced an issue with their dog while or after using an air
nailer. My little guy (a maltese) shivered for about an hour. He wasn't
in the same room. The only thing we could contribute it to was using the
nailer.

Dave - Parkville

My dog hates the air nailer. I don't think it is the noise, something to do
with the air pressure and feeling the waqve in his ears.

Tim W

I suspect that this is a prime cause. My dog also hates the cans
of compressed air used to dust keyboards.

scott

23g pin nailers Jay Pique Woodworking 4 October 18th 08 12:57 PM
Nailers The Medway Handyman UK diy 26 April 4th 08 10:48 PM
Air nailers Max Woodworking 5 August 26th 07 05:03 PM
T-Force Air for nailers? Robatoy Woodworking 21 May 7th 06 11:32 AM
FS: PC nailers Ba r r y Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 12:27 AM