Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pink Hammers

I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. As I was
checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on the
counter! Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. I asked about
them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. I asked if they
sold any of them and was told two.

I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would buy. I
think of it almost as a gag item. Anyway, I was a little puzzled by the
whole thing. I know that women in the trades will paint their tools to keep
them from being stolen. But this was no hammer for anybody in the trades.
It was consumer, light weight model.

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast cancer
research. Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast
cancer research. Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

Why not - not secure enough in you masculinity .?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Kenefick" wrote in message
Not all woodworkers are men. I may go and get one for my daughter. Mike
in Ohio

Everyone should get whatever color they like, but I have a feeling that
tools
that look like tools are safer. I don't think I'd prefer a tool that
invited me
to let my guard down. I'd prefer red warning stickers to pink. How can
you hand anyone a pink anything, and expect them to take it seriously?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 8:00*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. *As I was
checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on the
counter! *Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. *I asked about
them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. *I asked if they
sold any of them and was told two.

I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would buy. I
think of it almost as a gag item. *Anyway, I was a little puzzled by the
whole thing. *I know that women in the trades will paint their tools to keep
them from being stolen. *But this was no hammer for anybody in the trades.
It was consumer, light weight model.

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast cancer
research. *Would you buy a pink hammer? *Not me.

Was it a fuschia pink or more of a dusty rose?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Was it a fuschia pink or more of a dusty rose?

Powdered pussy willow pink would crow bar my wallet, fer sure ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 9:25*pm, Swingman wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
Was it a fuschia pink or more of a dusty rose?

Powdered pussy willow pink would crow bar my wallet, fer sure ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

.....as long as it isn't that disgusting pony-pecker pink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Was it a fuschia pink or more of a dusty rose?

Powdered pussy willow pink would crow bar my wallet, fer sure ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

....as long as it isn't that disgusting pony-pecker pink.

Hell, even putrid puss pussy pink before that ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
"Michael Kenefick" wrote in message
Not all woodworkers are men. I may go and get one for my daughter.
Mike in Ohio

Everyone should get whatever color they like, but I have a feeling
that tools
that look like tools are safer. I don't think I'd prefer a tool that
invited me
to let my guard down. I'd prefer red warning stickers to pink. How
can you hand anyone a pink anything, and expect them to take it
seriously?

Well, we handed the Iranians a bunch of pink F-14s and when ever one of
those lit off its radar the entire Iraqi air force would look for a place to
hide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Pink hammers are probably a symbol, same as pink ribbons, of
acknowledgement of the event.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Pink hammers are probably a symbol, same as pink ribbons, of
acknowledgement of the event.

Lew

Also, if they have the pink ribbon symbol for the Susan G. Komen Breast
Cancer Foundation, part of the price goes to research.

My daughter has done the 60 mile walk to raise money and the OverLord
and daughter do the 3 mile for the last few years - in fact this coming
Sunday.

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Kenefick wrote in
:

Not all woodworkers are men. I may go and get one for my daughter.
Mike in Ohio

At one time, there was a line of pink colored tool especially for the
women. It was a psychology thing, hoping they'd be more likely to buy
them.

I wouldn't refuse to use a pink tool, but given the choice between two
equal tools would probably buy the non-pink version.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Also, if they have the pink ribbon symbol for the Susan G. Komen
Breast Cancer Foundation, part of the price goes to research.

My daughter has done the 60 mile walk to raise money and the
OverLord and daughter do the 3 mile for the last few years - in fact
this coming Sunday.

Last I heard, the group now has a new theme, "Big or small, save them
all".

Gotta love it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I rented space in a cabinet shop where I could only use the space
on off hours, the regular day shift guys (who I got to know pretty
well) somehow seemd to always visit my utility belt and "borrow"
stuff. I once replaced one of those red handled screwdrivers with the
changable tips with one from my daughters toy kit that had a flowered
pattern. They never took it, so I bought some pink spray paint. I
still have a few clamps and squares, etc that are pink.

On Oct 5, 5:00*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. *As I was
checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on the
counter! *Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. *I asked about
them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. *I asked if they
sold any of them and was told two.

I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would buy. I
think of it almost as a gag item. *Anyway, I was a little puzzled by the
whole thing. *I know that women in the trades will paint their tools to keep
them from being stolen. *But this was no hammer for anybody in the trades.
It was consumer, light weight model.

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast cancer
research. *Would you buy a pink hammer? *Not me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't refuse to use a pink tool, but given the choice between two
equal tools would probably buy the non-pink version.

Puckdropper

Think of the benefits, though... it would never get stolen. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote

I wouldn't refuse to use a pink tool, but given the choice between two
equal tools would probably buy the non-pink version.
--

Afterall, the pink tool would clash with your other tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 8:31*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Last I heard, the group now has a new theme, "Big or small, save them
all".

Gotta love it.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXi5ploCAjU
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 21:15:07 -0400, "Bill"
wrote:

to let my guard down. I'd prefer red warning stickers to pink. How can
you hand anyone a pink anything, and expect them to take it seriously?

Pink tools sound like the basis for a woodworker's club 'booby' prize
where you award one monthly to the woodworker who can build the most
outlandish woodworking project. Would be great for some laughs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
[...]
Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

Pink? You guys probably don't watch rugby and won't have seen the Stade
Francais strip. Here is a picture of the SF forwards:

http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20...vants.jpg.html

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message

Pink? You guys probably don't watch rugby and won't have seen the Stade
Francais strip. Here is a picture of the SF forwards:

http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20...vants.jpg.html

Sorry, that's last year's strip. This is how they look this season:

http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20...upuy1.jpg.html

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:49:56 +0100, "Tim W"
wrote:

Sorry, that's last year's strip. This is how they look this season:
http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20...upuy1.jpg.html

They look like (in any year) they've been attacked by a zombie who has
taken up finger painting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 6:49*am, "Tim W" wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in message

Pink? You guys probably don't watch rugby and won't have seen the Stade
Francais strip. Here is a picture of the SF forwards:

http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20...f/081213_avant...

Sorry, that's last year's strip. This is how they look this season:

http://www.stade.fr/phototheque/v/20.../toulon-sf/090...

Tim W

One has to fully understand the rugby mentality to appreciate this
zaniness. Got to love it!
My daughter is an 8 on her highschool team and they're just as zany.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. As I was
checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on the
counter! Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. I asked about
them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. I asked if they
sold any of them and was told two.

I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would buy. I
think of it almost as a gag item. Anyway, I was a little puzzled by the
whole thing. I know that women in the trades will paint their tools to keep
them from being stolen. But this was no hammer for anybody in the trades.
It was consumer, light weight model.

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast cancer
research. Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

Support for breast cancer research is a lot better than snarking about
having a pink tool. Get with the program guys, breast cancers is nothing
to laugh about.

Bill (yes I'm a guy)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 08:24:59 -0500, BillGill
wrote:

Bill (yes I'm a guy)

Well, if you were by chance a woman named Bill, I'd bet you are a
tough woman.

Support for breast cancer research is a lot better than snarking about
having a pink tool. Get with the program guys, breast cancers is nothing
to laugh about.

Agree 100%. Don't know any women (that I know of) that have/had breast
cancer, but I've lost both parents and a close friend to other forms
of cancer so it's a worthwhile endeavor if it contributes in any way
to the damned disease.
Posted to rec.woodworking

BillGill wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Guys get it too you know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BillGill" wrote

Support for breast cancer research is a lot better than snarking about
having a pink tool. Get with the program guys, breast cancers is nothing
to laugh about.

What do they get off the tool? A buck, maybe. There is lot better ways to
contribute to that cause without buying crappy tools that invite ridicule.
This whole thing of covering everything with ribbons for the sickness of the
month is tiring and ultimately desensitives everybody.

I am tired of getting hit up for money at every turn. I don't really care
what month it is. I give where and when I think it is appropriate. Not what
is trendy or the current publicity program.

My sister is a dog trainer who has trained a bunch of service dogs. Her own
daughter has seizures and she trained her dog to alert to the seizures. It
is something I can relate to and I will give money to support service dogs.
I don't give a damn about pink hammers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Bill (yes I'm a guy)

Well, if you were by chance a woman named Bill, I'd bet you are a
tough woman.

Support for breast cancer research is a lot better than snarking about
having a pink tool. Get with the program guys, breast cancers is nothing
to laugh about.

Agree 100%. Don't know any women (that I know of) that have/had breast
cancer, but I've lost both parents and a close friend to other forms
of cancer so it's a worthwhile endeavor if it contributes in any way
to the damned disease.

As I saw this thread this morning it was somewhat surreal.

Like WAY WAY WAY to many people in this world I have friends that have had
cancer and breast cancer more specifically. In matter of fact yesterday my
sister started chemo after having a mastectomy this summer. That coupled
with being a dad with 3 daughters, if in fact some of the profits go to
breast cancer research I am in.

If they are just pink hammers like the pink Red Sox hats I have to see at
the ball park. I am out.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:47:19 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

What do they get off the tool? A buck, maybe. There is lot better ways to
contribute to that cause without buying crappy tools that invite ridicule.

I am tired of getting hit up for money at every turn. I don't really care
what month it is. I give where and when I think it is appropriate.

Fine, you don't think this particular method of bringing awareness to
breast cancer is appropriate. Good for you, you're free do to what you
want. But, learn to keep your BIG MOUTH SHUT and let others contribute
as they may.

You go contribute to your sister's charitable efforts and consider how
you'd feel if some ****ING ASSHOLE wrote something similar about
people with seizures and service dogs.

Man, you could be three times my size and I'd sucker punch you in the
nuts in a half second if you said something like that in front of me.
I've said a lot of dumb, ignorant things in my time, but I'd never
consider saying anything approaching your crap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Oct 5, 8:31 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Last I heard, the group now has a new theme, "Big or small, save them
all".

Gotta love it.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXi5ploCAjU

And just yesterday I read an online article about a group with more of
an "in your face" approach (yet light-hearted) about breast cancer
awareness - check out:

http://www.savethetatas.com/home.htm

Also fortunate to not have had anyone in the family suffer from breast
cancer, but I do support the research.

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:06:44 -0400, wrote:

enough to convince everyone that he is just one more microphallic
troll in a world already too full of them

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do they get off the tool? A buck, maybe. There is lot better ways to
contribute to that cause without buying crappy tools that invite ridicule.

I am tired of getting hit up for money at every turn. I don't really care
what month it is. I give where and when I think it is appropriate.

Fine, you don't think this particular method of bringing awareness to
breast cancer is appropriate. Good for you, you're free do to what you
want. But, learn to keep your BIG MOUTH SHUT and let others contribute
as they may.

You go contribute to your sister's charitable efforts and consider how
you'd feel if some ****ING ASSHOLE wrote something similar about
people with seizures and service dogs.

You've got a pretty big mouth yourself there pal, and a foul one at that. I hope you don't
eat with that dirty mouth.

Man, you could be three times my size and I'd sucker punch you in the
nuts in a half second if you said something like that in front of me.
I've said a lot of dumb, ignorant things in my time, but I'd never
consider saying anything approaching your crap.

Hmm, you're even willing to assault somebody to stifle their free speech. You sound like a
right nice guy.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. As I
was checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on
the counter! Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. I
asked about them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. I
asked if they sold any of them and was told two.

I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would
buy. I think of it almost as a gag item. Anyway, I was a little
puzzled by the whole thing. I know that women in the trades will
paint their tools to keep them from being stolen. But this was no
hammer for anybody in the trades. It was consumer, light weight model.

Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast
cancer research. Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

It does make one wonder what kind of item they would sell to promote
awareness of Prostate Cancer?

In addition, what does "Breast Cancer Awareness" have to do with anything
productive? Is there anyone in the country that is not "aware" of breast
cancer or its consequences?

I recall many years ago a group solicited millions for "AIDS Awareness."
They published a slim paperback volume and gave it away at bookstores across
the land.

Totally wasted endeavor - even a 1st grader knew the concepts behind that
which was published in the book. The project did, however, provide
(lucrative) employment to a few dozen people.

In my view, the goal should not be to make everyone (even more) AWARE of
breast cancer; the goal should be to CURE it!

Oh, by the way, the five-year survival rate after diagnosis of breast
cancer:

U.S. - 83.9%
Canada - 82.5%
U.K. - 69.8%

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had no idea that this sweeth nothing guy was even talking. I killfiled him
a long time ago as he has nothing positive or interesting to say. I merely
pointed out that selling pink hammers is a strange way to do things. And I
also pointed out I think there are better ways of doing it. I also pointed
out how I do my charitable thing. If that offended a mental midget, so be
it. Nuff said.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:30:55 -0400, Bill

makes it a crime, I think). You've taken the pink cause 3 steps back.

It *was* an implied threat. Tell you what Bill. My real name is David
Moore and I live in Toronto, Canada. Do a little searching and you can
find my entire contact information. I'll be here should you decide to
have me charged.

Ok? Now **** off.

(That's a threat too if you choose to take it that way. Nothing
implied).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:37:36 -0500, Steve Turner

Hmm, you're even willing to assault somebody to stifle their free speech. You sound like a
right nice guy.

When someone says something ignorant when they should have shown more
consideration, that makes me angry and then I'm a god damned prick.
Hope that floats your boat.

You've got a pretty big mouth yourself there pal, and a foul one at that.

There's a world of difference between having a big, foul mouth and
displaying an attitude of ignorance like Lee Michaels did. Of course
you can accuse me of being ignorant too, but it's certainly not the
same type of ignorance. Thing is, I know the difference. Michaels
obviously doesn't or just doesn't care which is worse.

You're accusing me of trying to stifle free speech, but then you're
admonishing me for swearing at someone. Make up your mind Steve, you
can't have it both ways.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:55:02 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I had no idea that this sweeth nothing guy was even talking. I killfiled him
a long time ago as he has nothing positive or interesting to say. I merely
pointed out that selling pink hammers is a strange way to do things. And I
also pointed out I think there are better ways of doing it. I also pointed
out how I do my charitable thing. If that offended a mental midget, so be
it. Nuff said.

Feeble try at best. It wasn't what you said, it was how you went about
saying it. And you said it about as unthinkingly as you could without
breaking a sweat.

You're too stupid to realize that people are smarter than you think
and you're not too brilliant for them. It just goes to show how much
of an asshole you really are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You're too stupid to realize that people are smarter than you think
and you're not too brilliant for them. It just goes to show how much
of an asshole you really are.

Unreal. I have been called an asshole by somebody who has nothing good to
say about anybody. I suppose I should not be surprised. I guess talking
about charity and pink hammers was too much for you. How did you become so
bitter at the world?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:43:35 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Unreal. I have been called an asshole by somebody who has nothing good to
say about anybody. I suppose I should not be surprised. I guess talking
about charity and pink hammers was too much for you. How did you become so
bitter at the world?

Are you actually attempting to have an intelligent conversation with
me? If so, then do it without the "poor innocent me" act and
acknowledge that you phrased your comment on your choice of charities
without much consideration. If you can't do that or simply aren't able
to comprehend what you said was offensive in a number of ways, then
I'm not the least bit interested in "discussing" anything with you.

I'm not the only one that has deemed your response as offence.
Consider that when you reply.

That's my honest, uncritical response. It's the best I'm willing to
do. Respond as you choose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Are you actually attempting to have an intelligent conversation with
me?

That would be an act of futility. I have seen you whine and bitch ad
infinitum. I have no interest of engaging in an endless babble fest with
you. A bitter old man is upset with me. I couldn't care less.

PEX and water hammers Steve Barker[_4_] Home Repair 13 January 26th 09 12:31 AM
hammers best wire Metalworking 2 March 12th 08 01:32 PM
Small hammers? Mike S. Home Repair 14 April 9th 06 06:22 AM
"Soft" hammers Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 24 August 14th 05 06:43 PM
Safety hammers? Sasha Klamp UK diy 24 March 24th 04 11:29 PM