Heath Roberts

Default Best mobile base for Unisaw with cast iron skirt

I've googled this topic, but haven't really found a consensus as to
the best solution...

I have a 1951 model Unisaw, and want a mobile base for the saw plus
52" unifence. I'm going to put some constraints on your
recommendation, though. I want one that's designed and made to fit the
saw, not a 'universal' type. I don't think the universal ones would
accomodate the table extension legs, anyway.

I think those constraints mean HTC is my only choice, and I think the
HTC base uses some sort of screw-down arrangement, instead of flipping
a foot lever to raise & lower the saw. I haven't seen it in person,
but that seems like a pain to use. I wish the current Delta model
would fit, but apparently it's a little too small for the cast iron
base.

So, are there any other options? Anyone have an HTC base with this
type saw and have an opinion :-) ?

I'll be using it on a pretty flat smooth concrete floor, if that
factors in.

Thanks,
Heath
Leon

"Heath Roberts" wrote in message
om...

I think those constraints mean HTC is my only choice, and I think the
HTC base uses some sort of screw-down arrangement, instead of flipping
a foot lever to raise & lower the saw. I haven't seen it in person,
but that seems like a pain to use. I wish the current Delta model
would fit, but apparently it's a little too small for the cast iron
base.

I am going out on a limb here. I assume you are looking at the typical HTC
base for the 52" capacity saws. I have a JET base manufactured by HTC.
In regards to the lifting and or foot lever you are referring to that I
think that the Delta bases have, the HTC base does not lift at all. Mine
has 2 screws above the front and back wheels. These screws are the brakes.
That said, I never never never have had the need to use the brakes. The
orientation of the 3 wheels deeps the saw from moving during a sawing
operation. The wheels are mounted much like those on a kids wagon except
the base has 1 wheel under the right extension table that swivels. With
some comfortable effort you can move the saw by going to the end of the
right extension and pushing there. No reasonable amount of effort will move
the saw from where you position the saw and base when standing in a saw
operating location. With only 3 wheels, the base and saw are always stable
and never rocks. Extremely simple and extremely effective.

TeamCasa

Heath, I did not use my mobile base for my Unisaw. I cut it up and made a
base for my Jet 16" Bandsaw. I used the remaining pieces to construct one
more base for a sanding, grinding stand. Very easy for anyone with a welder
and metal cutting chopsaw or Skilsaw with a metal cutting blade.
If you know someone with a welder, it is an easy job. I will post pictures
of mine later.

Dave

[...]

Pat Barber

HTC will "make" you any size base.... They more than likely
have the base you need. I would also be surprised that the
Delta does not fit. The Unisaw footprint has not changed much
if any in many moons. Have you actually checked the size ???

What is your saw model number ???

Heath Roberts wrote:

I've googled this topic, but haven't really found a consensus as to
the best solution...

I have a 1951 model Unisaw, and want a mobile base for the saw plus
52" unifence. I'm going to put some constraints on your
recommendation, though. I want one that's designed and made to fit the
saw, not a 'universal' type. I don't think the universal ones would
accomodate the table extension legs, anyway.

I think those constraints mean HTC is my only choice, and I think the
HTC base uses some sort of screw-down arrangement, instead of flipping
a foot lever to raise & lower the saw. I haven't seen it in person,
but that seems like a pain to use. I wish the current Delta model
would fit, but apparently it's a little too small for the cast iron
base.

Morris Dovey

Heath Roberts wrote:

[...]

Heath...

I've been using a ShopFox mobile base under my (more recent
model) Unisaw and like it. There're photos at the bottom of
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/pix.html.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Rob

Double check the Delta if you haven't already.

I love the mobile base on my Unisaw. It flips up real easy.

I have an HTC base on my Jet 18" bandsaw and it sucks.

It is on only three weeks so it wobbles and locks poorly. Major suckage!

Rob

[...]

John Grossbohlin

[...]

Based on my experiences with mobile bases, Delta and HTC, I'd be inclined to
get the current issue Delta base and modify it to fit your saw. The tubing
can be cut and internally sleeved with hardwood or pieces of tubing welded
in. The HTC cabinet saw base gets bad reviews (see Amazon for some). I
don't care for the HTC base I have for my bandsaw as it wobbles when "locked
down" and is very unstable while moving the saw. The Delta bases I have for
my Jet Cabinet Saw and Delta DJ-20 jointer are far superior to the HTC base.
The tools sit on the wheels all the time with the HTC bases and the wheels
have brakes. The Delta base cams down to rubber feed and there is no
movement when the tool is in use. On the Delta the lever to raise the tool
is very easy to use--hand pressure will lift the tool easily--while the HTC
requires you to unlock each wheel's brake.

John

Leon

"Rob" wrote in message
Double check the Delta if you haven't already.

I love the mobile base on my Unisaw. It flips up real easy.

I have an HTC base on my Jet 18" bandsaw and it sucks.

A 3 wheel set up works much better on a long wheel base. And I hope on you
BS you have the 2 wheels under the table.

TeamCasa

This is the original stand modified (twice) to fit my bandsaw.
http://www.teamcasa.org/Woodworking/...op_stand_1.jpg

Here is a copy I made based on the Delta and using the Delta lifting wheel.
($16 from Delta)
http://www.teamcasa.org/Woodworking/...op_stand_2.jpg