Christian McArdle

Default Cast iron verandah

My mother would love a decked cast iron (or "cast iron effect" steel)
verandah outside her back lounge. It would need to be 2m above the ground
and have lots of cast iron mouldings in the most ghastly late-Victorian
Gothic monstrosity style possible, with swirly railings and a staircase down
to ground level. Any ideas as to where such stuff could be
obtained/manufactured?

The size of the main deck would be about 3.5m x 4m. I was thinking of a
layout like:

| HOUSE |
| |
+---------+ +-----+
| \ / |
|--| \ / |
|--| DECK |
|--| |
|--| |
|--| |
|--| |
|--#------#------#------|
^ |
| +-----

STAIRS

I would assume that there would be a few pillars on the south edge (#), with
an east/west beam and joists running north-south. The pillars would have
frilly capitals and the edges would have railings. Would a second beam be
needed halfway across the joists? What should the joists be made of? Steel?
Flitch beam? Wood?

Christian.

nightjar

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
My mother would love a decked cast iron (or "cast iron effect" steel)
verandah outside her back lounge. It would need to be 2m above the ground
and have lots of cast iron mouldings in the most ghastly late-Victorian
Gothic monstrosity style possible, with swirly railings and a staircase

down
to ground level. Any ideas as to where such stuff could be
obtained/manufactured?

Try

http://www.victorian-lace.co.uk/

Colin Bignell

Christian McArdle

http://www.victorian-lace.co.uk/

Very nice. I've applied for further information...

Christian.

William McNicol

Christian McArdle wrote:
My mother would love a decked cast iron (or "cast iron effect" steel)
verandah outside her back lounge. It would need to be 2m above the ground
and have lots of cast iron mouldings in the most ghastly late-Victorian
Gothic monstrosity style possible, with swirly railings and a staircase down
to ground level. Any ideas as to where such stuff could be
obtained/manufactured?

or http://www.creativeironworks.co.uk

Cheers,

William

Cast iron rad valves Richard Geyman UK diy 7 April 9th 04 10:46 PM
Cast iron bath(s) Dave Plowman UK diy 30 February 5th 04 02:35 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe Steve UK diy 7 August 11th 03 01:08 PM
cast iron bath wanted jacob UK diy 2 August 8th 03 01:38 PM