Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Building a Buck Saw - Prometheus???

Anybody have some rough sketches or measurements they could post? I found a thread from 2003 or 4
that discussed some pics of a drawing being posted to ABPW, but long gone of course. Prometheus, if
you're still here, could you repost the pictures and/or plans?

I have a hankering for an old style buck saw, something like I used to use 40+ years ago and a
thousand miles from here. Right hand handle about 6 inches below the blade, slight angle on both
the uprights (braces?), loose tennon cross brace, and baling wire twisted together to tension the
blade.

Looking for some guidance on the angle of the vertical sticks, width of the wood, etc. The more
detailed the better, but general guidelines appreciated. I can always fiddle with the dimensions to
get something I like, just trying to cut down on the iterations.

Thanks!

Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Google "Buck Saw Plans".

Up comes Good Mother Earth site with plans.

You will also get some links to "Saw Buck Plans"

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:29:25 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Subject

Google "Buck Saw Plans".

Up comes Good Mother Earth site with plans.

You will also get some links to "Saw Buck Plans"

Lew

Thanks Lew. I've been Googling all night, and MEN was one of the many sites I've been searching.
Here's the best I've found, but I can't get it to print out. This is the Oct 1980 Popular
Mechanics.
http://tinyurl.com/yeakrv9 Page 188 if it doesn't open there.

I may try to pick the dimensions off the image it tomorrow. Maybe someone out there has a copy of
the October 1980 Popular Mechanics they could loan me? This looks like the saw I remember using,
and that is what I want to build.

I may have a copy of the Jul/Aug 2001 issue of Backwoodsman that should have an article according to
their web archive. I'll look tomorrow, getting late tonight. I was somewhat surprised to find
nothing on the Shopsmith site. Their Handson mag usually has something like this in their free
plans.

Regards,
Roy