Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote in
:

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Start with a block of wood and carve away everything that doesn't look like
a Staunton Knight.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 9:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Finally found one that I have seen and liked. Looks simple enough,
unlike the more ornate complex ones.
Are you doing the whole set, Tom?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:47:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Sep 27, 9:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Finally found one that I have seen and liked. Looks simple enough,
unlike the more ornate complex ones.
Are you doing the whole set, Tom?

Yeah. I'm doing this one:

http://houseofstaunton.com/Store/pro...-id=/password=

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Usually one turns the head as an eggshape, then cuts (observing
grain direction) the eggshape to an oval slab. A file or rasp
makes two notches that suggest the horse-head shape.

I did it with steel rods, using a drillpress as a lathe, and a bench
grinder for the flattening operation. It's up to you whether to
add embellishments, I stopped right there (my Dremel points
weren't up to the challenge of carving a proper mane).