Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Usually one turns the head as an eggshape, then cuts (observing
grain direction) the eggshape to an oval slab. A file or rasp
makes two notches that suggest the horse-head shape.

I did it with steel rods, using a drillpress as a lathe, and a bench
grinder for the flattening operation. It's up to you whether to
add embellishments, I stopped right there (my Dremel points
weren't up to the challenge of carving a proper mane).