DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/288180-any-carving-tips-staunton-style-knights.html)

Tom Watson September 27th 09 02:39 PM

Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Elrond Hubbard September 27th 09 06:16 PM

Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

Tom Watson wrote in
:

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Start with a block of wood and carve away everything that doesn't look like
a Staunton Knight.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Robatoy[_2_] September 27th 09 06:47 PM

On Sep 27, 9:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Finally found one that I have seen and liked. Looks simple enough,
unlike the more ornate complex ones.
Are you doing the whole set, Tom?

Tom Watson September 27th 09 07:02 PM

Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:47:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Sep 27, 9:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Finally found one that I have seen and liked. Looks simple enough,
unlike the more ornate complex ones.
Are you doing the whole set, Tom?

Yeah. I'm doing this one:

http://houseofstaunton.com/Store/pro...-id=/password=

whit3rd September 28th 09 09:56 PM

On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Tom Watson wrote:
I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this
road before.

Usually one turns the head as an eggshape, then cuts (observing
grain direction) the eggshape to an oval slab. A file or rasp
makes two notches that suggest the horse-head shape.

I did it with steel rods, using a drillpress as a lathe, and a bench
grinder for the flattening operation. It's up to you whether to
add embellishments, I stopped right there (my Dremel points
weren't up to the challenge of carving a proper mane).