Mark

Default Jet...Junk?

Silvan wrote:

(Yes, I'm still ****ed off about the total crap sitting on store shelves
wearing the Tonka brand name. Hasbro, you suck, and I don't mean that in a
Wreck way.)

I think it was 1969.

I left my Tonka dump truck (PayHauler) in the drives turn around. My mother
backed the LTD into it's bed. I swear the tire was off the ground.

Only damage to the Tonka was the bed side got bent. Axles didn't bend and the
tires didn't break.

Those were toys built to last.

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

CW

Yes, they have always been an importer. Long before they got much into
woodworking, they had a line of imported metalworking machinery. Some models
of their bandsaws weren't bad but most were junk. Their milling machines
were garbage, through and through.

"Silvan" wrote in message
AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time
Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta
tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

CW

England is officially metric.

"ddinc" wrote in message
My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.

The whole world is metric except US and England.

Quick, divide 1.301mm by 5.

Now try 4 ft. 3 in and 7/32"

The world does change....

For the better.

DexAZ

I'm quite sure that garbage like this can come from either side of the
aisle on any given day.

Barry

Yep, same old rat race, just new rats.

DexAZ

Bridger

"Silvan" wrote in message
AFAIK, JET has *always* been an importer. Am I wrong about that old time
Wreckers? Seems they came onto the scene with imported copies of Delta
tools, and they've always been an importer, rather than a manufacturer.

I have an early jet horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw. it
works fine, and appears to be identical to the delta and harbor
freight models.

Silvan

Mark wrote:

(Yes, I'm still ****ed off about the total crap sitting on store shelves
wearing the Tonka brand name. Hasbro, you suck, and I don't mean that in
a Wreck way.)

Only damage to the Tonka was the bed side got bent. Axles didn't bend and
the tires didn't break.

Those were toys built to last.

Yes they were! I have some old Tonka stuff from the '70s myself. The
plastic windshields and cab interiors look worse for wear, but the metal
stuff is still fine. I have a couple of pumper trucks with little rubber
push bulb things to shoot water out a hose. They still work.

I watched Tonka's downfall with my son. Around '94, we bought a dump truck
and a back hoe. He eventually broke the back hoe, after digging lots of
real rocky dirt with the thing for hours on end. In around '97 we bought
him another one. The whole arm and bucket on the thing were PLASTIC. It
lasted a couple of months.

The first one was made in America. The second one in China. What's worse,
they started slapping Tonka logos on all kinds of Chinese low budget crap.
The kind of cheap little car stuff you'd buy for your kid to give away at a
birthday party. Nothing even Tonkaesque about them.

I hate Hasbro. Look around. They're the Microsoft of the toy world. They
own Parker Bros., Milton Bradley, ad nauseum. You can tell when they've
taken over someone new because you go to buy a new copy of a favorite old
game, and now it's new and incredibly crappy for twice the price.

Sorry. Rant off. I know this is totally off-topic, unless you go so far as
to mention that they do still sell ultra premium Monopoly sets with wooden
houses. (OBWWR... wooden houses, see...)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Cape Cod Bob

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:53:40 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I watched Tonka's downfall with my son. Around '94, we bought a dump truck
and a back hoe. He eventually broke the back hoe, after digging lots of
real rocky dirt with the thing for hours on end. In around '97 we bought
him another one. The whole arm and bucket on the thing were PLASTIC. It
lasted a couple of months.

The key here is that the shoddy Tonka truck has nothing to do with
where it's made. Tonka decided on using plastic, not the factory in
mainland China or Taiwan or East Kangaruistkazanakan. They would, I
am sure, only be too happy to make toy arms and buckets out of
stainless steel, if Tonka wanted.

The "buy American" crowd talks about inferior foreign goods. It's not
the factory - it's the specifications the manufacturer imposes.

Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Doug Miller

In article , Cape Cod Bob wrote:

The "buy American" crowd talks about inferior foreign goods. It's not
the factory - it's the specifications the manufacturer imposes.

Not necessarily. The company SWMBO works for recently decided to terminate
their Chinese subsidiary operation, due in part to the subsidiary's repeated
inability to consistently supply steel that met specs -- a problem that they
have *not* had in the United States.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Scott Duncan

"CW" wrote in message ...
England is officially metric.

England is metric and the system we use in the States is the "Old
English System"

I finished putting my new General table saw together last night and
found that I needed 7/16 and 9/16 wrenches to put together the fence
and metric sizes to put together the rest of the saw. The fence is
made in Canada so I guess they use the Old English system too.

-Scott

"America works when you buy American"

"ddinc" wrote in message
My BP goes up a bit every time I have to grab a "mm" wrench.

The whole world is metric except US and England.

Quick, divide 1.301mm by 5.

Now try 4 ft. 3 in and 7/32"

The world does change....

For the better.

DexAZ

"Scott Duncan" wrote in message
"CW" wrote in message

England is officially metric.

England is metric and the system we use in the States is the "Old
English System"

I finished putting my new General table saw together last night and
found that I needed 7/16 and 9/16 wrenches to put together the fence
and metric sizes to put together the rest of the saw. The fence is
made in Canada so I guess they use the Old English system too.

Is that what they use in Quebec?

DexAZ