Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Picture frames

I'm not new to woodworking, but have not done a lot of picture frames. I
can construct a frame with tight angles and all that, but I have problem
when I need to secure the glass, picture and backing to the frame. I have a
few expensive tools from Rockler: a Squeeze tool that puts point into the
frams and a "point driver" that bangs them in. They work great until it
comes to the addition of a glass front.

If I'm using oak, cherry or maple (which are hard), the hand squuze tool
often slips when driving the point, causing a shock which breaks the glass.
If I use the point-driver tool, a "bang" is part of the way the tool works,
which also breaks the glass. I can't find clips, as yet, for doing this and
it's driving me nuts. I'm not a professional framer and don't feel like
taking a course, but wondering if anyone out there has any ideas...?

Best regards,

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Paul Wolsko" wrote in message
[...]

Why are you putting the glass in before the frame is glued up? The glass
should sit in a rabbet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Wolsko wrote:
[...]

Since you are making your frames, you could cut a groove on the inside edges
so that the groove extends very slightly below where the outside of the
backing will be; you cut then use a couple of small wedges on each frame
piece to secure the glass/art/backing. A biscuit slot cutter is about the
size groove I'm thinking of.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Paul Wolsko wrote:
[...]

BTW, the same thing works for drawer bottoms if one goofs and cuts the
groove too wide.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:35:40 -0400, "Paul Wolsko"
wrote:

I'm not new to woodworking, but have not done a lot of picture frames. I
can construct a frame with tight angles and all that, but I have problem
when I need to secure the glass, picture and backing to the frame. I have a
few expensive tools from Rockler: a Squeeze tool that puts point into the
frams and a "point driver" that bangs them in. They work great until it
comes to the addition of a glass front.

If I'm using oak, cherry or maple (which are hard), the hand squuze tool
often slips when driving the point, causing a shock which breaks the glass.
If I use the point-driver tool, a "bang" is part of the way the tool works,
which also breaks the glass. I can't find clips, as yet, for doing this and
it's driving me nuts. I'm not a professional framer and don't feel like
taking a course, but wondering if anyone out there has any ideas...?

I've NEVER had the point gun break the glass. You have a backing in
there too right? I just have one hand pressing gently on the backing
to make sure everything is tight to the frame and fire away. Never a
problem. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you aren't
making the rabbet large enough, there should be a little room around
the glass.

-Kevin

Picture frames Pete Verdon UK diy 6 October 16th 07 01:30 AM
Making picture frames? Lobster UK diy 14 June 5th 07 12:06 PM
PICTURE FRAMES J T Woodworking 0 October 22nd 06 07:42 PM
building picture frames CC Woodworking 2 December 30th 05 04:21 AM
Picture Frames Alfa Woodworking 3 February 7th 05 11:41 PM