Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picture frames

Hi,

I've just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to buy cheap picture
frames on various websites. Some of them looked reasonable value for
what they were offering, but were still more than I want to pay. I'm
basically trying to mount some smallish posters on the walls, but
without making the house look like a student ghetto. The frame's not the
feature; anything better than blu-tak is fine.

I have an idea of what I'm looking for. One of my photos (blown up) is
mounted in a frame that originally held some tacky fairground "prize".
It's basically a sheet of thin hardboard, a sheet of lightweight
perspex, and some very thin black aluminium edging strip that holds the
layers together. It must have been really cheap, but it's exactly what I
need. Trouble is, I can't find anywhere that sells it. Any ideas?

I'm hoping that this stuff (particularly the edging) is available in
bulk, as some of my posters and comic strips are unusual dimensions and
this would let me make up the frames myself.

Any pointers (or advice on alternate approaches) welcome, also any tips
on finding frames for a 24"x25" poster, which seems to be a completely
non-standard size.

Thanks,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
Hi,

I've just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to buy cheap picture
frames on various websites. Some of them looked reasonable value for
what they were offering, but were still more than I want to pay. I'm
basically trying to mount some smallish posters on the walls, but
without making the house look like a student ghetto. The frame's not
the feature; anything better than blu-tak is fine.

Cheap poster from your local pound shop

chuck poster - use frame

tenon saw and 45 degree jig from a hardware store - bits for the frame
from a timber merchant

do try and think ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct, 00:59, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
[...]

I used to stick nice posters up for decor using IIRC what were callled
'frameless frames' which sound as if they are similar to what you
describe, but these are held together with metal clips that clip on
the glass and then into a slot on the back board (which is made of
hardboard). They weren't too expensive but I don't know who sells them
these days, and I think they are perspex now as the glass was a bit
dangerous. They looked good though and went with any decor.
I looked up frameless frames but just got a site that charges £44 for
a small one, so I guess they are called something else now! Clip-frame
perhaps?

There are some on this page for reasonable money.

http://websites.uk-plc.net/Ask_Offic...ure_Frames.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct, 00:59, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
[...]

PS. For my non-standard size posters, I used to place a sheet of black
paper behind the poster in the nearest size clip frame so it had a
border. It was quite effective if you had more than one with the same
size border.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon d wrote:

Any pointers (or advice on alternate approaches) welcome,

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytyyzv

http://www.fastframes.co.uk/acatalog...lack_Aluminium.
html

also any tips on finding frames for a 24"x25" poster, which seems to be a
completely non-standard size.

Buy a larger frame, use a mount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 00:59:23 +0100, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

I've just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to buy cheap picture
frames on various websites.

Ikea. Not as good as they were a few years ago, but glass is glass and
they're cheap.

If you want something better, try Hobbyworld (big shed on the local
town's retail park). They do some very nice frames, they sell mounting
board, Logan cutters and also raw or painted mouldings of much better
range than timberyards.

Making picture frames? Lobster UK diy 14 June 5th 07 12:06 PM
Picture Frames and shooting miters John Grossbohlin Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 April 19th 07 03:41 AM
PICTURE FRAMES J T Woodworking 0 October 22nd 06 07:42 PM
building picture frames CC Woodworking 2 December 30th 05 04:21 AM
Picture Frames Alfa Woodworking 3 February 7th 05 11:41 PM