Posted to uk.d-i-y
Maria Maria is offline

Default Picture frames

On 15 Oct, 00:59, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
Hi,

I've just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to buy cheap picture
frames on various websites. Some of them looked reasonable value for
what they were offering, but were still more than I want to pay. I'm
basically trying to mount some smallish posters on the walls, but
without making the house look like a student ghetto. The frame's not the
feature; anything better than blu-tak is fine.

I have an idea of what I'm looking for. One of my photos (blown up) is
mounted in a frame that originally held some tacky fairground "prize".
It's basically a sheet of thin hardboard, a sheet of lightweight
perspex, and some very thin black aluminium edging strip that holds the
layers together. It must have been really cheap, but it's exactly what I
need. Trouble is, I can't find anywhere that sells it. Any ideas?

I'm hoping that this stuff (particularly the edging) is available in
bulk, as some of my posters and comic strips are unusual dimensions and
this would let me make up the frames myself.

Any pointers (or advice on alternate approaches) welcome, also any tips
on finding frames for a 24"x25" poster, which seems to be a completely
non-standard size.

I used to stick nice posters up for decor using IIRC what were callled
'frameless frames' which sound as if they are similar to what you
describe, but these are held together with metal clips that clip on
the glass and then into a slot on the back board (which is made of
hardboard). They weren't too expensive but I don't know who sells them
these days, and I think they are perspex now as the glass was a bit
dangerous. They looked good though and went with any decor.
I looked up frameless frames but just got a site that charges £44 for
a small one, so I guess they are called something else now! Clip-frame
perhaps?

There are some on this page for reasonable money.

http://websites.uk-plc.net/Ask_Offic...ure_Frames.htm