Alfa

Default Picture Frames

PICTURE FRAMES

From a novice

So I did it the usual way - first tried it and then read the manual. In
this case the Net. Found enough to read for days on end. But what the
manual lacks is the specific and personal experiences of people.

My wife has done some fabric painting (very large fabrics) and had some of
it framed in the cheapest possible manner. I thought I could do better
after one of the frames stared to "wrap' (turn skew). Big mistake !! I
bought the cheapest wood available in case, as I suspected, I would be
making a boo-boo of the exercise, and found that on a big piece you should
not try to do it the traditional way. I have read enough to now understand
that I should rather start on a smaller frame and gain experience than to
jump in and the deep end. I drowned.

Are there someone in this newsgroup that would be prepared to share some
information and experience on picture framing. Please!

George

"Alfa" wrote in message
PICTURE FRAMES

Are there someone in this newsgroup that would be prepared to share some
information and experience on picture framing. Please!

Don't let anyone else know you can make them, or you'll do nothing but.

Seriously, best things for picture framers are a good mitering jig using the
saw of preference, and the four-cornered clamps.

If you cut your miters well, and make sure the opposite pieces are _exactly_
the same length, you don't need to chase alternately opening corners as the
glue dries. Straight-grained wood is nice, but straight pieces are really
all that's required.

For framing fabric, your subframe can be made adjustable, or you can get a
good set of stretching pliers. Obviously if you stretch the entire frame
with wedges, you'll want to wait on the outer frame.

Must be hundreds of books out there - go to a used book store or library and
keep the information fresh and in front of you as you work. If, as you
imply, your saw is not there, tell the group what you're using, and I'm sure
you'll get jig advice.

TheNewGuy

Alfa wrote:
PICTURE FRAMES

I'm in the midst of taking on this task as well.

Just like there's more than one way to skin a cat, not all frames need
to be made with mitered corners. Check out:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ontentId=60 1

-Chris

TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy wrote:
Alfa wrote:
PICTURE FRAMES

I'm in the midst of taking on this task as well.

Just like there's more than one way to skin a cat, not all frames

need
to be made with mitered corners. Check out:

Sorry, bad link. Try again:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ontentId=6 01