Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scroll Saw Recommendations

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Didn't Hegner go out of business?? I have used the Hegner and they are
excellent machines. Pricy, but nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Nova" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Didn't Hegner go out of business?? I have used the Hegner and they are
excellent machines. Pricy, but nice.

If they've gone out of business I wasn't aware of it. A Google search
shows the saws are still being sold by Advanced Machinery.

http://www.advmachinery.com/default....roducts&grp=24

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Didn't Hegner go out of business?? I have used the Hegner and they
are excellent machines. Pricy, but nice.

If they've gone out of business I wasn't aware of it. A Google search
shows the saws are still being sold by Advanced Machinery.

http://www.advmachinery.com/default....roducts&grp=24

Just another thought... RBI Hawk used to be another excellent scroll
saw. They are OOB. Could it be them you were thinking of?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Nova wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Didn't Hegner go out of business?? I have used the Hegner and they are
excellent machines. Pricy, but nice.

If they've gone out of business I wasn't aware of it. A Google search
shows the saws are still being sold by Advanced Machinery.

http://www.advmachinery.com/default....roducts&grp=24

Just another thought... RBI Hawk used to be another excellent scroll saw.
They are OOB. Could it be them you were thinking of?

Maybe, I was reading something on another forum and some folks were
lamenting the loss of a high end scroll saw manufacturer. Maybe somebody
went bankrupt and were able to keep manufacturing under the bankruptcy
reorganization.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

If they've gone out of business I wasn't aware of it. A Google search
shows the saws are still being sold by Advanced Machinery.

Just another thought... RBI Hawk used to be another excellent scroll
saw. They are OOB. Could it be them you were thinking of?

What, Laguna doesn't make a scroll saw? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Ok, so I suppose that I'm really interested in a good mid range saw
then. No way I'm paying more for a scroll saw than my table saw!!!

Any other contenders beyond the Dewalt?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Note the post said up to $2,500, do a web search for both Hegner and
Excalibur and you will find several models some of which are just a bit more
than the DeWalt.

BTY it is RBI Hawk that is out of business, they went under and sold off all
their assets at auction. There is a rumor in the Yahoo Scrollsaw group that
the buyer of the assets may try to get the business going again. I sure hope
so, I have a RBI Hawk and think it is one of the best scroll saws out there.

Also for more opinions try the Yahoo Scrollsaw group.

Russ
"Mike" wrote in message

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Ok, so I suppose that I'm really interested in a good mid range saw
then. No way I'm paying more for a scroll saw than my table saw!!!

Any other contenders beyond the Dewalt?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Ok, so I suppose that I'm really interested in a good mid range saw
then. No way I'm paying more for a scroll saw than my table saw!!!

Any other contenders beyond the Dewalt?

I my opinion, new in the $500 price range, No.

'Course there's always used...
Usually someone who's willing to spend $1,000 - $2,500 takes pretty good
care of them.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:19:26 -0700, Mike wrote:

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500

A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500

Ok, so I suppose that I'm really interested in a good mid range saw
then. No way I'm paying more for a scroll saw than my table saw!!!

Any other contenders beyond the Dewalt?

Not really. IIRC, the reviews on the DeWalt said it was 90-95% as good
as the high-priced spreads. I know there's so little vibration you can
do the nickle on edge trick. When I worked at Woodcraft, they had
several used in the classroom. I left after 3 years and AFAIK all were
still humming away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seems like there are a bunch of low end saws around $100 and then
nothing until you get to $500 for the DeWalt. I was hoping to find
something decent for around $200 - $250. I don't use a scroll saw
enough (maybe 3-4 times per year) to justify spending $500.

Checked on Ebay for used, found a few Dewalts selling for around
$250-300, then when you factor in shipping, the price approaches the
point where it would make more sense to by the new one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-16, Mike wrote:
Seems like there are a bunch of low end saws around $100 and then
nothing until you get to $500 for the DeWalt. I was hoping to find
something decent for around $200 - $250. I don't use a scroll saw
enough (maybe 3-4 times per year) to justify spending $500.

Checked on Ebay for used, found a few Dewalts selling for around
$250-300, then when you factor in shipping, the price approaches the
point where it would make more sense to by the new one.

There is Proxxon DSH/E at 250 USD. I have it and it works for me but I
think that it may be worst of all Proxxon tools. I had these 3 choices here
in Finland 1) cheap ones 2) this Proxxon 3) Hegner at about 1000 USD (600
euros from germany with delivery). I would have taken the Dewalt if it was
sold in Finland.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37090-...3166402&sr=1-1

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something
much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end
scroll
saw would be appreciated.

I am new to scroll sawing and probably don't have enough years left
to get really good at sawing. Have a used Craftsman that seems to
work pretty good, variable speed motor. What is it that makes these
high dollar machines so much better, since they all use the same
blades?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree on DeWalts. Love mine for a year now. Picked it up used but
completely refurbished for $250 and it runs great. So glad I skipped
the Dremel for $200. DeWalt is a way better machine imho.
`Casper

Seems like there are a bunch of low end saws around $100 and then
nothing until you get to $500 for the DeWalt. I was hoping to find
something decent for around $200 - $250. I don't use a scroll saw
enough (maybe 3-4 times per year) to justify spending $500.

Checked on Ebay for used, found a few Dewalts selling for around
$250-300, then when you factor in shipping, the price approaches the
point where it would make more sense to by the new one.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:55:22 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much,
much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll
saw would be appreciated.

Greatly depends on the amount of money you have to spend. Take a look
at DeWalt, not the best/worst.

scroll saw [email protected] Woodworking 12 February 19th 07 06:43 PM
GMC scroll saw Steve Hall Woodworking 2 January 13th 07 09:19 PM
Need recommendations for scroll saw blades mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 3 November 27th 05 04:05 AM
Scroll saw [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 4th 05 12:20 AM
Scroll Saw recommendations Thomas Mitchell Woodworking 8 July 27th 03 11:24 PM