Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

Default The Other Side of Home Depot

I know most of us take great pleasure in bashing Home Depot for their
frequent ineptness, and Craftsman for their... well just because :-)

Ocassionally though, Home Depot gets it right. They currently have a
sale going on in SE PA that gives up to a $300 instant rebate on
qualifying tools.

My son and I have been eyeballing their 80 gallon, two stage air
compressor for quite a while now. He likes to turn a wrench, and I like
to make large piles of sawdust, so we thought this would be more than
adequate for our needs. The problem was that I could never justify the
$1079 price tag when my little 6 gallon twin stack did OK most of the
time.

Well, it seems that air compressors were a qualifying item on this
instant rebate program, and this one in particular qualified for the
full $300 rebate. So for $779 this brand new, in the box, compressor
now has a new home. Today's job is wiring it up to a dedicated 220v
circuit!

How PO'ed would I have been if I would have bought it at the full price
:-)

Joe
aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:
[...]

I betcha HD (or any other reputable purveyor) would honor a sale price on an
item bought within the last 30 days.

A basic management principle is one does not want to discourage a
prospective customer from spending money.

"I'm waiting for it to go on sale" is pretty discouraging to hear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

How PO'ed would I have been if I would have bought it at the full
price :-)

I betcha HD (or any other reputable purveyor) would honor a sale price on
an item bought within the last 30 days.

A basic management principle is one does not want to discourage a
prospective customer from spending money.

"I'm waiting for it to go on sale" is pretty discouraging to hear.

Home Depot will extend sales pricing back 90 days, as long as you have your
receipt. If you purchase on a Home Depot card, or your own debit/charge
card, they can go back (right at the service desk), and find the
transaction, but I am not sure if they will honor the 90 thing without the
actual receipt.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 8, 12:18*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

How PO'ed would I have been if I would have bought it at the full
price :-)

I betcha HD (or any other reputable purveyor) would honor a sale price on
an item bought within the last 30 days.

A basic management principle is one does not want to discourage a
prospective customer from spending money.

"I'm waiting for it to go on sale" is pretty discouraging to hear.

Home Depot will extend sales pricing back 90 days, as long as you have your
receipt. *If you purchase on a Home Depot card, or your own debit/charge
card, they can go back (right at the service desk), and find the
transaction,

Lowe's can do that with just your telephone number, if you give it at
checkout. I've returned stuff without the receipt using just the
telephone number. Say what you will about the big box stores, their
customer service is pretty good. Of course, they really dump the
stuff back on the manufacturer.

but I am not sure if they will honor the 90 thing without the
actual receipt.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:59:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Say what you will about the big box stores, their
customer service is pretty good. Of course, they really dump the
stuff back on the manufacturer.

Not always, apparently.

A few weeks ago I had to replace the garbage disposal and while
looking over the offerings, struck up a conversation with the
"associate" in the area. I recognized a trace of the South in her
voice and we were relating the parts of Louisiana from which we
hailed. Anyway, I made my selection and pulled a box of the shelf. She
stopped me and said to take a different one because the box I picked
up had come back as a return.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Say what you will about the big box stores, their
customer service is pretty good. Of course, they really dump the
stuff back on the manufacturer.

Not always, apparently.

A few weeks ago I had to replace the garbage disposal and while
looking over the offerings, struck up a conversation with the
"associate" in the area. I recognized a trace of the South in her
voice and we were relating the parts of Louisiana from which we
hailed. Anyway, I made my selection and pulled a box of the shelf. She
stopped me and said to take a different one because the box I picked
up had come back as a return.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Lots of that going around. And the stuff's not even tested and proven
good before going back on the shelf over half the time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , " wrote:

Lowe's can do that with just your telephone number, if you give it at
checkout. I've returned stuff without the receipt using just the
telephone number. Say what you will about the big box stores, their
customer service is pretty good. Of course, they really dump the
stuff back on the manufacturer.

Not all of it, they don't. Just a few weeks ago, at our local HD, I saw
several PVC pipe fittings in a bin that had purple primer on the socket
surfaces, and a couple of brass hose bibs with solder on them....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2009 5:46 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article
,
" wrote:

Lowe's can do that with just your telephone number, if you give it
at checkout. I've returned stuff without the receipt using just the
telephone number. Say what you will about the big box stores,
their customer service is pretty good. Of course, they really dump
the stuff back on the manufacturer.

Not all of it, they don't. Just a few weeks ago, at our local HD, I saw
several PVC pipe fittings in a bin that had purple primer on the socket
surfaces, and a couple of brass hose bibs with solder on them....

So the liberal return policy that I noted elsewhere here comes back to
bite us ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:

[...]

My wife was buying some yard lights Friday at HD and saw the person
ahead of her show his military ID and get a discount so she slid out
her retired military dependent card and got 10 percent off and a
thank-you.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

How long a minute is depends on which
side of the bathroom door you're on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
10x wrote:

[...]

Just for everyones info, Home Depot and Lowes gives 10% off everyday of
the year if you show a military ID (active duty or Retired). All you
have to do is ask and show your ID.

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:
[...]

Nice! Now take the money you saved and go buy a sandblast cabinet and a
Dynabrade palm sander and let me know how the compressor keeps up. I've
been wanting to upgrade my 20-year old Sanborn 60-gallon single-stage to
a two-stage for a long time now, but like I've never wanted to fork over
the bucks.

So that rebate was a regional thing? Wondering if it would also apply
here in Texas...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
I've
been wanting to upgrade my 20-year old Sanborn 60-gallon single-stage to
a two-stage for a long time now, but like I've never wanted to fork over
the bucks.

Like, why did I stick that superfluous "like" in there? Somebody put
Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl" in my mind the other day; it must still be
stuck in there... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Nice! Now take the money you saved and go buy a sandblast cabinet
and a Dynabrade palm sander and let me know how the compressor keeps
up. I've been wanting to upgrade my 20-year old Sanborn 60-gallon
single-stage to a two-stage for a long time now, but like I've never
wanted to fork over the bucks.

So that rebate was a regional thing? Wondering if it would also apply
here in Texas...

Houston HD has a sign with varying degrees of discount. The largest is $300
off $1000 or more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

So that rebate was a regional thing? Wondering if it would also apply
here in Texas...

It's across Home Depot.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-07, 10x wrote:

I know most of us take great pleasure in bashing Home Depot for their
frequent ineptness, and Craftsman for their...

I'm glad you qualified your statement with "most". After living
within spitting distance of an HD, Lowe's, and an Orchard Supply
Hardware (both pre- and post- Sears) for the last 30 yrs, I gotta say
I REALLY miss 'em. I'm now out in the Central Rockies, with ACE being
the only chain. Lumber yards? We have 2-3 in a two towns of 2K and
4K pop. Small, privately owned, but it doesn't prevent me from
getting poor supplies, occasionally. Prices? High. I was gonna use
stringer brackets for my deck steps till I realised they were over $6
each. The biggest shock, imagine my astonishment when I discoverd
there was not a 2x4 or sheet of plywood to be had on Sunday. All
closed.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

notbob wrote:
... The biggest shock, imagine my astonishment when I discoverd
there was not a 2x4 or sheet of plywood to be had on Sunday. All
closed.

I gather you're easily astonished...

Welcome to small-town America where we think retailers deserve a day off
as well and not everything has to run 24/7 (and generally find things
better for it)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-07, dpb wrote:

I gather you're easily astonished...

Welcome to small-town America where we think retailers deserve a day off
as well and not everything has to run 24/7 (and generally find things
better for it)...

Yes, I'm still looking for just the right hayseed to chew on.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:39:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

notbob wrote:
... The biggest shock, imagine my astonishment when I discoverd
there was not a 2x4 or sheet of plywood to be had on Sunday. All
closed.

I gather you're easily astonished...

Welcome to small-town America where we think retailers deserve a day off
as well and not everything has to run 24/7 (and generally find things
better for it)...

Perhaps, but since most others work a more standard week, weekends are
all we have to spend money. It would be nice if those who wanted that
money made it easy to spend it locally. If they want the money to
stay local, perhaps they can take Wednesdays off and go golfing with
the doctors. ...or Mondays and hang with the chefs.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

notbob wrote:
... The biggest shock, imagine my astonishment when I discoverd
there was not a 2x4 or sheet of plywood to be had on Sunday. All
closed.

I gather you're easily astonished...

Welcome to small-town America where we think retailers deserve a day off
as well and not everything has to run 24/7 (and generally find things
better for it)...

Perhaps, but since most others work a more standard week, weekends are
all we have to spend money. It would be nice if those who wanted that
money made it easy to spend it locally. If they want the money to
stay local, perhaps they can take Wednesdays off and go golfing with
the doctors. ...or Mondays and hang with the chefs.

Maybe you should take up being one of them instead...

If one really has no freedom to run an errand during the day or
whatever, I'll agree that can be pita. OTOH, most small-town employers
aren't so inflexible as big corporate employers tend to be.

Also, small-town businesses may well simply deliver what you want/need
for you while you're at work if you just call 'em up. "Sure, J-Bob,
Freddy'll run it over and put it in the shed out back thar for ya' next
run...needin' anything else?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote in :

*snip*

My son and I have been eyeballing their 80 gallon, two stage air
compressor for quite a while now. He likes to turn a wrench, and I like
to make large piles of sawdust, so we thought this would be more than
adequate for our needs. The problem was that I could never justify the
$1079 price tag when my little 6 gallon twin stack did OK most of the
time.

*snip*

Joe
aka 10x

What kind of CFM do you get out of it? That might be worth asking HD to
extend my credit limit for.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Puckdropper
wrote:

What kind of CFM do you get out of it? That might be worth asking HD to
extend my credit limit for.

Puckdropper

The data tag says it will deliver 12.2 scfm at 175 psi. Of course, I
have no way to verify that, but if it even comes close, I'll never
exceed its' output with anything I do.

Joe

aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

What kind of CFM do you get out of it? That might be worth asking
HD to
extend my credit limit for.

It will run a jitterbug wide open all day long.

It cannot support a sandblaster on a continuous basis.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/7/2009 4:39 AM 10x spake thus:

I know most of us take great pleasure in bashing Home Depot for their
frequent ineptness, and Craftsman for their... well just because :-)

Well, I'm one of those "most". But I will say this about Home Despot:

1. They're cheaper on a lot of stuff (but not everything, so one needs
to comparison shop).

2. It's a hell of a lot easier picking up things like tubafours and
plywood there, assuming they have what you want (in the quality you can
tolerate): no problem sorting through the bins, within reason.

3. Their return policy is very good, to the point where it can be abused
(not saying I've ever done that ...).

4. They're open on Sundays, unlike my favorite local hardware store
(Ace), which is not only closed Sundays, but also promptly at 5:00
weekdays, which often sucks.

So as long as you don't need help (beyond "where is _____?"), you're fine.