Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Does Wood Stain Affect Carpenter's Glue

I want to glue on a piece of molding after staining both pieces, but before
finishing, probably with poly. Does stain affect the glue-up strength? It
doesn't seem like it would, but I just wanted to check.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I want to glue on a piece of molding after staining both pieces, but
before finishing, probably with poly. Does stain affect the glue-up
strength? It doesn't seem like it would, but I just wanted to check.

Depends...what kind of stain? What kind of glue?

Oil stain means the wood has been sealed which means normal (yellow, white)
wood glue won't penetrate which means a lousy glue joint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Depends...what kind of stain? What kind of glue?

Oil stain means the wood has been sealed which means normal (yellow,
white) wood glue won't penetrate which means a lousy glue joint.

Elmer's to Titebond.

Minwax or Cabot stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Depends...what kind of stain? What kind of glue?

Oil stain means the wood has been sealed which means normal (yellow,
white) wood glue won't penetrate which means a lousy glue joint.

Elmer's to Titebond.

Minwax or Cabot stain.

Those are both brands, not specific products. If the oil-based stains,
no, you'll not get a good glue joint at all. If water-based, a chance
although I have not researched closely what the manufacturer says on the
subject.

I would _NOT_ stain the mating surfaces--either assemble first, then
finish or tape or otherwise protect the joining faces or use enough care
to keep them clean.

Why risk the effort expended to date w/ a haphazard approach when get to
the glue-up stage????

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Depends...what kind of stain? What kind of glue?

Oil stain means the wood has been sealed which means normal (yellow,
white) wood glue won't penetrate which means a lousy glue joint.

Elmer's to Titebond.

Minwax or Cabot stain.

If you possibly can, mask the area that will be glued.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I want to glue on a piece of molding after staining both pieces, but before
finishing, probably with poly. Does stain affect the glue-up strength? It
doesn't seem like it would, but I just wanted to check.

Typically any thing you put on wood is going to affect glue strength. Does
that matter? Maybe.

If you are staining first because the piece is too small to easily stain in
its final location glue strength may not be a big worry. If the molding you
are talking about is relatively small or light weight you really dont need a
monster bond. Even a marginal adhesion should hold it in place providing it
is not subject to being banged on knocked loose.
If small you might also consider a gel super glue which will hold better
than your typical yellow glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:28:16 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I want to glue on a piece of molding after staining both pieces, but before
finishing, probably with poly. Does stain affect the glue-up strength? It
doesn't seem like it would, but I just wanted to check.

Most likely. It is best to use carpenters glue with bare unfinished
wood on all mating surfaces. Protect the area to be glued with
painter's tape before staining.