Creamy Goodness

Default Panel Sled

So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled after 7
years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web thanks to all of you,
and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one straight and one with a mitre.
I have a few questions though if ya don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

--
[AGB] Creamy Goodness

"220, 221, whatever it takes"

Morris Dovey

Creamy Goodness wrote:

So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled after 7
years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web thanks to all of you,
and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one straight and one with a mitre.
I have a few questions though if ya don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

[1] Makes sense if they'll serve your needs (-:

[2] How about UHMWPE guides to fit the miter slots and some
"slick tape" strips to reduce friction with the table top?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Creamy Goodness

Morris Dovey wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:

So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled
after 7 years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web
thanks to all of you, and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one
straight and one with a mitre. I have a few questions though if ya
don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large
panels and the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have
something really large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely
large mind you.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the
bottom of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

[1] Makes sense if they'll serve your needs (-:

[2] How about UHMWPE guides to fit the miter slots and some
"slick tape" strips to reduce friction with the table top?

Thought about using glides I saw at the BORG. they'll glide over anything
and hold up to 1600 pounds. But they also raise the panel 1/2 inch off the
TS and would slide off the edge when you push it forward (I don't have an
outfeed table, just rollers)

Frank Ketchum

shellac the whole thing to make it stable and wax the underside and runners
in the miter slots. also wax your tablesaw top.

"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:a4210$403e27df$41a9ca42$12293@allthenewsgroup s.com...
So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled after

7
years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web thanks to all of

you,
and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one straight and one with a

mitre.
I have a few questions though if ya don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

--
[AGB] Creamy Goodness

"220, 221, whatever it takes"

Leon

"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:a4210$403e27df$41a9ca42$12293@allthenewsgroup s.com...
So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled after

7
years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web thanks to all of

you,
and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one straight and one with a

mitre.
I have a few questions though if ya don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

ABSOLUTELY... One day you may want to cut compound miters. You will need a
sled opposite side of the blade tilt. I use 2 all the time.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

If you sled is good and flat and you guide bar is straight, it should slide
easily but you can a coat of TopCote to the bottom of the sled and the top
of the saw.

Can you read AutoCAD drawings? DWG format. If so I can e-mail you BASIC
plans to a sled that will cut miters. I have not built the sled and feel
that it has its limitations but you could probably get some good ideas from
the drawing.

B a r r y

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:07:40 -0700, "Creamy Goodness" creamy at
agbf1942 dot com wrote:

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

Sure. I occasionally will build a new sled for a specific project, if
I don't have one that's suitable. Once you make one or two, you'll
see just how quickly they can go together.

I'll usually glue the runners to the panel at the end of a session,
leaving them in place on the saw overnight with weights sitting on
top. The next day, I can quickly screw on the front and back fences.
Not including glue drying, I can knock one out in about 30 minutes of
actual work.

Large architect's triangles are great for aligning the rear fence.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

Shellac or wax will help it slide.

Barry

Jerry Gilreath

I'd like to see that one myself. I only have the one for straight panels.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Leon" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Pat Barber

Miter sliders are the hot ticket...

http://www.woodpeck.com/uhmwtmiterslide.html

You will end up with more than two sleds...

The real big one is a good idea for large plywood
panels and other stuff like that...

A smaller one is also very handy....

You will end up using sleds a LOT....and wonder what
the hell you were thinking earlier....

Creamy Goodness wrote:

So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled after 7
years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web thanks to all of you,
and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one straight and one with a mitre.
I have a few questions though if ya don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large panels and
the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have something really
large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely large mind you.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the bottom
of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

Larry C in Auburn, WA

I like the idea of a couple sizes for the sleds. I built a "medium"
sided one and I should really build a smaller to use most of the time.
I'm not sure how useful a sled would be for sheet goods. I guess it
depends on exactly what you mean by sheet goods. The extreme would be a
sled big enough for a 4x8 sheet which is obviously crazy so it depends
on how much of the sheet you need a sled for.

Never built a sled for mitres so can't comment.

I waxed the bottom of my sled including the tracks and it slides like
snot across the saw. The saw is also waxed of course.

--
Larry C in Auburn WA
[...]

Leon

Its on its way.

"Jerry Gilreath" wrote in message
I'd like to see that one myself. I only have the one for straight panels.

Pounds on Wood

Buildem out of melamine. They'll be slicker than snot on black ice.

--
********
Bill Pounds

[...]

Stephen Meier

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message
s.com...
Buildem out of melamine. They'll be slicker than snot on black ice.

Do they make single sided melamine?

Personally I like to leave the top unfinished (raw plywood). It helps keep
the workpiece from shifting.

Wax for the bottom does it for me.

-s

Mike Rinken

Leon wrote:
[...]

hehe, that made me laugh. I've be a CADD user since AutoCAD release 2.5,
I'm an IT Manager at an architectural firm, and I used to be a CADD Manager.
Not that you needed to know all of that, but yes I can read a CADD file. I
LOVE desiging things in CADD and then building them.

Please email me at mwrinken at comcast dot net

If anyone wants, I just got done with a plan for mission style benches for
our new kitchen table.

--

Mike

Mike Rinken

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:
[...]

I'm sure this has been covered a million times in the NG, but what Wax does
everyone prefer?

--

Mike

Jim

What kind of saw do you have? I made a pretty slick sled for my grizzly
contractors saw, but it isn't likely to work for any other kind since it
uses the round rails to support a secondary guide/support.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:24:50 GMT, Pat Barber
brought forth from the murky depths:

Miter sliders are the hot ticket...

http://www.woodpeck.com/uhmwtmiterslide.html

You will end up with more than two sleds...

The real big one is a good idea for large plywood
panels and other stuff like that...

A smaller one is also very handy....

You will end up using sleds a LOT....and wonder what
the hell you were thinking earlier....

A less expensive source is www.leevalley.com
46J90.15 UHMW strip 3/8 x 3/4 x 24" $3.95
46J90.16 UHMW strip 3/8 x 3/4 x 48" $6.95

I ordered the 48" strip to use on a mitering sled.

In my stock was some slippery (teflon) tape which I used
on the runners of my large sled now. It works and holds
up well if the mounting surface is perfectly smooth.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
codepath

Also at Lee Valley:
25U04.01 UHMW Tape 1" x 18' $12.95

Good for putting on the bottom of the sled.

codepath

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:24:50 GMT, Pat Barber
brought forth from the murky depths:

Miter sliders are the hot ticket...

http://www.woodpeck.com/uhmwtmiterslide.html

You will end up with more than two sleds...

The real big one is a good idea for large plywood
panels and other stuff like that...

A smaller one is also very handy....

You will end up using sleds a LOT....and wonder what
the hell you were thinking earlier....

A less expensive source is www.leevalley.com
46J90.15 UHMW strip 3/8 x 3/4 x 24" $3.95
46J90.16 UHMW strip 3/8 x 3/4 x 48" $6.95

I ordered the 48" strip to use on a mitering sled.

In my stock was some slippery (teflon) tape which I used
on the runners of my large sled now. It works and holds
up well if the mounting surface is perfectly smooth.

.-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---

Creamy Goodness

Jim wrote:
What kind of saw do you have? I made a pretty slick sled for my
grizzly contractors saw, but it isn't likely to work for any other
kind since it uses the round rails to support a secondary
guide/support.

Jet 10" Contractors saw.

Creamy Goodness

Leon wrote:
Its on its way.

"Jerry Gilreath" wrote in message
I'd like to see that one myself. I only have the one for straight
panels.

mwrinken at comcast dot net

thanks Leon.

Pat Barber

I almost forgot, you NEED to look at this site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/jigs.html

This guys seriously knows his stuff...

Creamy Goodness wrote:

Jet 10" Contractors saw.

Eric Ryder

[...]

OT: consider a third for dados (just did that myself).

patriarch

"Mike Rinken" wrote in

snippage

I'm sure this has been covered a million times in the NG, but what Wax
does everyone prefer?

Yes, it has been. The answer seems still to be Johnson's, or Butcher's, or
pretty much whatever your friendly, locally-owned and operated hardware
purveyor has on the shelf. Look for some blend with carnuba in it. One
can lasts a very long time.

Some of us even smear it on furniture now and then. Preferably over
environmentally safe, food-grade, hand padded, shellac.

Patriarch
Bob Haar

On 2004/2/26 8:12 PM, "Mike Rinken" wrote:

Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

I'm sure this has been covered a million times in the NG, but what Wax does
everyone prefer?

I like a paste wax designed for floors, like the classic Johnson product. It
can be found in many stores in the floor care product section. Look for a
pure wax formulation.