Mike Rinken

Default Panel Sled

Leon wrote:
"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:a4210$403e27df$41a9ca42$12293@allthenewsgroup s.com...
So I'm finally (I know, don't kill me) building my first panel sled
after 7 years of wwing. I've found different plans on the web
thanks to all of you, and I've settled on a design for 2 sleds, one
straight and one with a mitre. I have a few questions though if ya
don't mind.

1. Does it make sense to have 2 different sleds, one for large
panels and the other for smaller stuff? Idea being I'd like to have
something really large for helping with sheet goods. Not insanely
large mind you.

ABSOLUTELY... One day you may want to cut compound miters. You will
need a sled opposite side of the blade tilt. I use 2 all the time.

2. If I make a large panel sled, is there anything I can do to the
bottom of the sled to make it slide easily on the TS?

If you sled is good and flat and you guide bar is straight, it should
slide easily but you can a coat of TopCote to the bottom of the sled
and the top of the saw.

Can you read AutoCAD drawings? DWG format. If so I can e-mail you
BASIC plans to a sled that will cut miters. I have not built the
sled and feel that it has its limitations but you could probably get
some good ideas from the drawing.

hehe, that made me laugh. I've be a CADD user since AutoCAD release 2.5,
I'm an IT Manager at an architectural firm, and I used to be a CADD Manager.
Not that you needed to know all of that, but yes I can read a CADD file. I
LOVE desiging things in CADD and then building them.

Please email me at mwrinken at comcast dot net

If anyone wants, I just got done with a plan for mission style benches for
our new kitchen table.

--

Mike