Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need source for hard-to-find hinge

I'm working on a version of a portable desk, one of those old-style
boxes that opens up to a wrting surface. Several examples can be found
at http://www.hygra.com/visualwrite.html.

Thing is, I need hinges that enable the box to open flat, and I'd like
them to be similar to the hinges on the antique boxes. A photo of this
hinge can be found at http://hygra.com/uk/wb2/WB143/images/hygra%20(14).JPG.
As you see, theyr'e maybe an inch or two long, maybe a half-inch wide.

The closest I could find to these hinges are ones sold for humidors
and jewelry boxes, but they're made so they hold the lid open at 95
degree or so. I'd like to find hinges that open _flat_. Van Dyke's
offers hinges that do this, but they'd require some cutting and filing-
down to remove cerrtain parts. I'd like to find hinges that fit the
bill without my having to scratch and mangle them.

Can anyone point me to a source? (Oh, and if there's a source for the
brass "corner pieces" seen in those photos at Hygra, i'd be grateful.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

BrianSiano wrote:
[...]

These are two that I have dealt with that have a lot of these things.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=

http://www.rockler.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Try here. http://robinsonsantiques.com/

I e-mailed pictures of an escutcheon I needed for an old desk I was
refinishing. Got an exact match. Cost more to ship the little thing
than it cost for the part.

Tried another time for an old pull for another desk but they couldn't
help that time.

Worth a try.
George (aka Bumhead)

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:50:22 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

BrianSiano wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:13:00 -0700 (PDT), BrianSiano
wrote:

[...]

Horton Brasses

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...rassdeskhinges

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/furnituretrim

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bingo! The WDH-10 is almost exactly what I want. (It's a bit wider
than I'd want, but it's the closest I've found to ideal, so I'm buying
it.)

On Aug 19, 3:02*pm, Kevin wrote:

Horton Brasses

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...ges/brassdeskh...

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/furnituretrim

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 19, 1:13*pm, BrianSiano wrote:
[...]

Not knowing much about them, I saw these at Rockler and they looked
pretty sharp.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1182

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking