Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Replacing missing capacitor?

I bought a Delta grinder that needs a new capacitor, but I don't have
the original one to take into my local motor shop to replace.I don't
want to order one off the internet from a parts shop there because
it'll cost me 3x as much, and I'll have to wait weeks to get it. My
local guy usually has this kind of stuff in stock.

If I just take in the motor specs, will they be able to hook me up?

Thanks,
Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
I bought a Delta grinder that needs a new capacitor, but I don't have
the original one to take into my local motor shop to replace.I don't
want to order one off the internet from a parts shop there because
it'll cost me 3x as much, and I'll have to wait weeks to get it. My
local guy usually has this kind of stuff in stock.

If I just take in the motor specs, will they be able to hook me up?

Thanks,
Nathan

Why wouldn't you just call the local guy you refer to? Why ask a question
here, about his capability there?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 10:09*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote in message

I bought a Delta grinder that needs a new capacitor, but I don't have
the original one to take into my local motor shop to replace.I don't
want to order one off the internet from a parts shop there because
it'll cost me 3x as much, and I'll have to wait weeks to get it. My
local guy usually has this kind of stuff in stock.

If I just take in the motor specs, will they be able to hook me up?

Thanks,
Nathan

Why wouldn't you just call the local guy you refer to? *Why ask a question
here, about his capability there?

--

-Mike-

Well, it was a general question as to whether or not a motor capacitor
is something you can derive from the motor specs.

You're right though. I should have called. The problem is that I don't
know what they're called. I've only ever driven there, and I got the
directions from someone else who had used them in the past.

Thankfully I found the capacitor tucked away in a "safe" place, so I
can just do what I did last time and take the capacitor in for a
replacement. I'm not too concerned about size of the new one, because
there's plenty of space in the grinder base for the new one, and
there's no screw-on cover for it like on ones you see on a drill press
or whatever.

Thanks again, and consider me properly chastised about looking to the
'net instead of doing my own homework. :-)

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

nhurst wrote:
On Aug 18, 10:09 am, "Mike Marlow"

Why wouldn't you just call the local guy you refer to? Why ask a question
here, about his capability there?

Well, it was a general question as to whether or not a motor capacitor
is something you can derive from the motor specs.

Besides that, when you ask your guy on the phone, only you benefit from
the answer instead of the whole rec...

You're right though. I should have called. The problem is that I don't
know what they're called. I've only ever driven there, and I got the
directions from someone else who had used them in the past.

Thankfully I found the capacitor tucked away in a "safe" place, so I
can just do what I did last time and take the capacitor in for a
replacement. I'm not too concerned about size of the new one, because
there's plenty of space in the grinder base for the new one, and
there's no screw-on cover for it like on ones you see on a drill press
or whatever.

Thanks again, and consider me properly chastised about looking to the
'net instead of doing my own homework. :-)

Always, always ask questions here. The answers can help most everyone.
Anyway, if you have a local Grainger handy, you can find most
replacement capacitors there. Even if you don't, you can check out
whats available and reasonable prices on there web site. Here is a link
to their capacitor page: http://tinyurl.com/mxtlya.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:17:16 -0700 (PDT), N Hurst

If I just take in the motor specs, will they be able to hook me up?

I would expect they could determine what size capacitor is needed, but
pick up the phone and call them, and you'll know for sure. You may
need to give them the dimensions of the motor's capacitor cover/cavity
since it must fit physically as well as electrically.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 8:17*am, N Hurst wrote:
I bought a Delta grinder that needs a new capacitor, but I don't have
the original one to take into my local motor shop to replace.I don't
want to order one off the internet from a parts shop there because
it'll cost me 3x as much, and I'll have to wait weeks to get it. My
local guy usually has this kind of stuff in stock.

*If I just take in the motor specs, will they be able to hook me up?

Duh! Ask "your local guy."