Posted to rec.woodworking

Default R.I.P Dremel Stylus

A couple of years ago I bought one for my wife. I inherited after she
lost interest in the hobby it was for. Now it is dead. Opened it up
and it had two non-standard lithium cells hardwired in. I took it to
the battery place and he declined, saying he was trained in replacing
lithium batteries but the company would not let him do it because of
insurance issues. Sounded like I had brought in an IED.

Dremel would not give a price for replacing the batteries. I would
have to ship it along with the charger to them insured, then wait for
the dreaded phone call telling me where to leave the money in small,
unmarked bills.

My other options were to trash it, call the bomb squad or bury it
beside the road at night. Trashed it.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Monday is a depressing way to spend
one-seventh of your life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dremels are a rip off in general.

1. There is almost always a better tool for the job.

2. Electric hand held chain saw sharpener is the same thing including
variable speed for $16.00 +/- at Lowe's or HD.

cm

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 02:45:36 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought one for my wife. I inherited after she
lost interest in the hobby it was for. Now it is dead. Opened it up
and it had two non-standard lithium cells hardwired in. I took it to
the battery place and he declined, saying he was trained in replacing
lithium batteries but the company would not let him do it because of
insurance issues. Sounded like I had brought in an IED.

Dremel would not give a price for replacing the batteries. I would
have to ship it along with the charger to them insured, then wait for
the dreaded phone call telling me where to leave the money in small,
unmarked bills.

My other options were to trash it, call the bomb squad or bury it
beside the road at night. Trashed it.

The battery-operated ones die faster than the corded ones. I have a
variable speed Dremmel, about $60, and it is going on its 7th year of
low-level abuse. My brother burns them up in less than a year, he
prefers to hang the Dremmel up and use the pen powered by the cable. I
guess it depends on how it is used. Very handy useful versatile tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I too have found that Dremel lacks a customer service attitude, so I choose
to use a different brand.
I make the assumption that their customer service will continue with any of
the their product releases, so I ignore them. I only buy that brand at
clearance sales where no warranty no service is implied.

Lately, there have been clones sold by Canadian Tire for $10 - corded
variable speed.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

He should get a compressor and a die grinder.