Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring Question

I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton
of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub
stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint.

What do you guys think?

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 10:31*am, Tanus wrote:

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room...
Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint.

I'd remove it, unless it's something oddly built-in. Typically, there
are two water connections, one drain, and a couple of screws into
the wall for the wooden bits. It's easier to remove than
to work around.

Remember to plug the drain (plastic wrap and rubber bands is OK).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 10:31*am, Tanus wrote:
I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton
of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub
stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint.

What do you guys think?

Tanus

Make life easy on yourself. Pull the vanity. (You may decide you need
another vanity top. I have some super-hot deals with undermounted
Corian sinks. I have many colours of remnants, usually enough to do a
bathroom.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 11:38*am, Angela Sekeris wrote:
On Aug 9, 10:31*am, Tanus wrote:

I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton
of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub
stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint..

What do you guys think?

Tanus

Make life easy on yourself. Pull the vanity. (You may decide you need
another vanity top. I have some super-hot deals with undermounted
Corian sinks. I have many colours of remnants, usually enough to do a
bathroom.)

LOL...I guess that means Angela is going to built it as well?
(Drat...laptop...yaddayadda)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a
ton of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc.
The tub stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much
to add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought
that says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the
vanity cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its
footprint.

What do you guys think?

Me thinks you already know the answer, but wondering if there is a
short cut you forgot.

There isn't.

Pull it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the key is in you comment "...if you ever think you'll need to
alter the size of the vanity
cabinet,...". If that is a real possibility I would remove it and
tile under the footprint. However, tiling around a vanity is no big
deal.

While finishing our house this spring I had put cement board down in
both upstairs baths and got the tile down in a smaller bath. The
cabinet guys were able to move us up in schedule so we let them set
the master vanity on the backer board floor and I tiled around it.
The cabinet shop threw us a little curve because the kick-panels under
the linen closet next to the vanity had rounded (about 4" radius)
corners. But, the tile cutting to the radius was not that tough.

Even if the vanity does come up later, you still have the option of
sizing the new one to the un-tiled spot.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Tanus" wrote:

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a
ton of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc.
The tub stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much
to add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought
that says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the
vanity cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its
footprint.

What do you guys think?

Me thinks you already know the answer, but wondering if there is a
short cut you forgot.

There isn't.

Pull it.

Lew

Amen to that, brother. I was figuring I'd get the answers that I got,
and thanks to all of you who did answer.

I wasn't really thinking I'd find a short cut tho, Lew. There were two
choices here. Pull it or leave it. 100% of the answers say pull it from
people I have a great deal of respect for. I'm pretty much down to one
choice now. And there's more than just the obvious upside to this too.
By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

BTW, SWMBO came home the other day with a ton of antique dining room
chairs that had not been gently enjoyed. Looked like they had been used
in a bar room brawl where the chairs lost.

I think she got all the parts, but when I saw them, the first thing I
thought about was microballoons. You really have perverted my mind.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton of
stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub stays
where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to add
on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that says if
you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity cabinet, it's
better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint.

What do you guys think?

Reminds me of my last house. We were going to change the vanity anyway, so
we removed everything from the room except the toilet and the bath tub. We
did some wiring, installed the new medicine cabinet, put in the new lights
and a new cabinet. Then we picked up the vanity.

It was the wrong one. It opened on the wrong side and would not allow the
pipes and drain to remain where they were. As well as putting the drawers in
a place where we could not get at them. So we took it back. It took six
weeks before we could get it replaced with the right one. And my honey fell
in love with it so a subsitution was not possible.

Soooooo...., we washed and brushed our teeth in the bath tub for six weeks.
I was soooooo happy to see that vanity come in. This was in a one bedroom
house too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 1:31*pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Aug 9, 1:31 pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. G

========
"Pulling it eliminates the need to cut around it. It's one thing less to get
wrong, and one less chance of ruining the work."

BTW, "got" can almost always be eliminated from the sentence without loss of
meaning. Compare "I have got..." to "I have...".

Got it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 3:16*pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Aug 9, 1:31 pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. *G

========
"Pulling it eliminates the need to cut around it. It's one thing less to get
wrong, and one less chance of ruining the work."

BTW, "got" can almost always be eliminated from the sentence without loss of
meaning. Compare "I have got..." to "I have...".

I agree with that wee bit of polish.

"Pulling it eliminates the need to cut around it. It's one thing less to get
wrong, and one less chance of ruining the work."

"Pulling the vanity eliminates the need to cut around it. It is one
less thing to go
wrong and one less chance of ruining the work."

There, turned it into English for ya. G
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message ...
On Aug 9, 1:31 pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. G

What's with the "Grammar Police" thing.

Whyfor are you trying to keep an eye on your Grammar when everbody knows she's upstairs entertaining the preacher??

BEG

P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 9, 1:31 pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. G

Somehow I feel 'cleansed'. Trust a Canuck to find the appropriate syntax
and grammer to fit in the word ****. I think it's in our blood - or just
on our minds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

I think she got all the parts, but when I saw them, the first thing
I thought about was microballoons. You really have perverted my
mind.

Who?
ME?
Naw.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

Somehow I feel 'cleansed'. Trust a Canuck to find the appropriate
syntax and grammer to fit in the word ****. I think it's in our
blood - or just on our minds.

Remember the old English lesson?

There are 8 parts of speech.

Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Adverb, Verb,Conjunction, Objective,
Exclamation, as I remember.

"****" is the universal word.

It can be used as a part of speech by each of the types.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton
of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub
stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its
footprint.
What do you guys think?

Depends on the flooring.

If you're putting down tile, I'd leave the vanity where it is, but stash in
the bathroom's closet sufficient extra tiles to cover the area of the
vanity. If, someday, you want to replace the vanity, you'll have matching
tile to accommodate the change.

If, on the other hand, the house burns down next year, you can take solace
in all the extra work you avoided.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:03:58 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Tanus wrote:
I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.

I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton
of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub
stays where it is.

Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to
add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that
says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity
cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its
footprint.
What do you guys think?

Depends on the flooring.

Yep. Carpet? ...and yes, the master bathroom in my last house was
carpeted, red.

If you're putting down tile, I'd leave the vanity where it is, but stash in
the bathroom's closet sufficient extra tiles to cover the area of the
vanity. If, someday, you want to replace the vanity, you'll have matching
tile to accommodate the change.

You won't match the grout.

If, on the other hand, the house burns down next year, you can take solace
in all the extra work you avoided.

That's good enough reason to not change the floor at all. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tanus wrote:
[...]

Good point - and it calls for a revision to my suggestion:

"Stash in the bathroom's closet sufficient extra tiles, and the remaining
grout, to cover the area of the vanity."

Of course if we're talking about stick-on tiles, there won't be any grout.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tanus wrote:
[...]

Grout goes bad in sort order. Suck it up and tile under.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down
cushion flooring.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

Laminate would be easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:52:42 -0400, Tanus wrote:

wrote:
wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

In a bathroom? Nothing but tile around water for me, ever again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down
cushion flooring.

Laminate would be easier.

I know. And so do you. SWMBO says no. Cushion it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
HeyBub wrote:

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down
cushion flooring.

Laminate would be easier.

I know. And so do you. SWMBO says no. Cushion it is.

"Cushion" flooring??? Is that like pillows? And it sounds like something
that the missus would isnist upon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 12:01*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 9, 1:31*pm, Tanus wrote:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing to cut around and **** the whole
thing up with.

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.

Correction:

By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to **** up the whole
thing.

That's better. More of a 'ring' to it.
I hope you don't mind. *G

Robatoy is engaging in the kind of pedantry up with which I will not
put.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
HeyBub wrote:

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down
cushion flooring.

Laminate would be easier.

I know. And so do you. SWMBO says no. Cushion it is.

"Cushion" flooring??? Is that like pillows? And it sounds like something
that the missus would isnist upon.

Cushion floors... mirrors on the ceiling... has potential in my opinion.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:32:35 -0400, the infamous "Mike Marlow"
scrawled the following:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
HeyBub wrote:

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down
cushion flooring.

Laminate would be easier.

I know. And so do you. SWMBO says no. Cushion it is.

"Cushion" flooring??? Is that like pillows? And it sounds like something
that the missus would isnist upon.

Cushion floors... mirrors on the ceiling... has potential in my opinion.

Break out the Crisco! and hose it down later.

---

Another Flooring Question Kate[_4_] Home Repair 1 September 10th 08 10:50 PM
oak flooring question rb Home Repair 3 January 6th 07 04:21 AM
oak flooring question RB Home Repair 2 December 28th 05 09:47 PM
Flooring Question Brad Woodworking 6 July 28th 05 10:00 AM
Another Flooring Question BigManRestless Home Repair 10 December 27th 04 04:03 PM