BigManRestless

Default Another Flooring Question

Greetings all!

I've just pulled up all the 1950's style flooring from my living room and
want to lay a laminate floor down in it's place.
Pardon my ''newbie-ness'', but my question is I've got some pretty intricate
moldings around the doors and entrance-ways of my living room (ridges and
scallops) and it's pretty much impossible to cut the laminate precisely to
fit around these moldings. I'm not really wanting to remove the moldings
before I put down the floor as this house has lathe & plaster walls....past
experience has taught me to leave moldings alone!! Any suggestions on how I
could fill those gaps between molding and flooring without it looking
horrible??

Thanks in advance.

It's not impossible. Try harder. Make a pattern with paper. Or bite the
bullet and undercut the molding so the new flooring can go underneath
it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"BigManRestless" wrote in
message .. .
Greetings all!

I've just pulled up all the 1950's style flooring from my living room and
want to lay a laminate floor down in it's place.

My condolences.

Pat

Bob K 207

BigManRestless" wrote in
message .. .
Greetings all!

I've just pulled up all the 1950's style flooring from my living room and
want to lay a laminate floor down in it's place.

I am I correctly assuming it was hardwood flooring? if so, why tear ii up?
that stuff is great

cheers
Bob
BigManRestless

Nope...actually, there were 3 layers of sub-flooring and three layers of
assorted vinyl, the last being this brittle yellow vinyl stuff. The original
tongue and groove floor covering the floor joists has too many cuts and
holes in it to warrant a restoration.

Thanks to all for the suggestion of using an undercut saw! Never knew such
an item existed!

Thanks again!

"Bob K 207" wrote in message
BigManRestless" wrote in
message .. .
Greetings all!

I've just pulled up all the 1950's style flooring from my living room
and
want to lay a laminate floor down in it's place.

I am I correctly assuming it was hardwood flooring? if so, why tear ii
up?
that stuff is great

cheers
Bob

Terry

"Abe" wrote in message
-----------
Yep, an undercut saw will do the best job. You might be able to rent
one. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.carpettool.net/under_cut_...OVMTC=standard

Thanks to Abe and others who post useful information.
Not otherwise involved in this thread.
While I've seen 'undercut saw' mentioned on this news group, never having
seen one had only a vague idea.
So, again, I learned something.
Thanks for your post and the info.
Terry.

JerryMouse

BigManRestless wrote:
Nope...actually, there were 3 layers of sub-flooring and three layers
of assorted vinyl, the last being this brittle yellow vinyl stuff.
The original tongue and groove floor covering the floor joists has
too many cuts and holes in it to warrant a restoration.

Don't restore the floor. Just sand and varnish. You'll have a "distressed"
floor that has CHARACTER!

I've seen people take new, "nude," furniture, beat it with a bicycle chain,
attack it with a propane torch, drive and pull nails, then stain and finish
the abused result.