Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding the round parts

I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand all
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do it
than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Any ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Any
ideas?

One option:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Set-of-4.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 6:47*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. *It's time to sand all
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do it
than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). *Any ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

Before Upscale gets to it, get one of these LVT sanding grips. That's
what I use.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...83&cat=1,42500

Luigi

PS. Besides I'm ****ed off at him 'cause he ignored my perfectly
simple & elegant solution to his lap joint cutting dilemma. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 9:08*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. *It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). *Any
ideas?

One option:http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Sanding-Pads-S...

Those are some interesting looking sanding sets. I didn't even know
they existed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 9:47*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. *It's time to sand all
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do it
than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). *Any ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

Quality sanding sponges work really well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand all
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do it
than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Any ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

A light quick pass or two with an finish sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 11:01*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:47*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. *It's time to sand all
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do it
than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). *Any ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

Quality sanding sponges work really well.

I looked them up. They're called Dynamic. The sponge part is firm
enough to wrap around on small radii and the abrasive (usually I get
Medium/Fine) is very effective. Beware of imitations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
A light quick pass or two with an finish sander.

Yup. Last time I had a similar job, I clamped my 1/2 sheet finishing sander
in the vise and went at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

karmstrn wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:08 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way
to do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it).
Any ideas?

One
option:http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Sanding-Pads-S...

Those are some interesting looking sanding sets. I didn't even know
they existed.

There used to be a similar foam set that was more flexible--nobody seems to
be carrying them anymore though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Any
ideas?

Puckdropper

Flap wheel

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 19:51:57 -0700, karmstrn wrote:

On Aug 4, 9:08Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. Â*It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Â*Any
ideas?

One
option:http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ncave-Sanding-

Pads-S...

Those are some interesting looking sanding sets. I didn't even know they
existed.

I bought some of those elsewhere a long time ago. IIRC, they were
called, or nicknamed "tadpoles" from the end profiles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote in
:

On Aug 4, 6:47*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. *It's time to sand

ll
16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to do
it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). *Any
ideas?

Puckdropper
--
Upscale, here's your non-political thread. ;-)

Before Upscale gets to it, get one of these LVT sanding grips. That's
what I use.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...83&cat=1,42500

Luigi

PS. Besides I'm ****ed off at him 'cause he ignored my perfectly
simple & elegant solution to his lap joint cutting dilemma. :-)

That looks like it'd tend to cause cramping. For details where contour
is essential, they'd probably be the way to go.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
:

I've got some slats that I've routed the edges on. It's time to sand
all 16 of them (that's 64 edges) and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it than holding the sand paper in my hand (and cramping it). Any
ideas?

Puckdropper

I appreciate the suggestions. After thinking about it for a while, I
took a piece of scrap material and cut a V-shaped notch out of the
center. After that, I stapled a piece of sandpaper to the non-bearing
edge.

To sand the round edges, I simply move the sander up and down the piece
and side-to-side. Done quickly, it doesn't bother the profile much at
all.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote

I appreciate the suggestions. After thinking about it for a while, I
took a piece of scrap material and cut a V-shaped notch out of the
center. After that, I stapled a piece of sandpaper to the non-bearing
edge.

To sand the round edges, I simply move the sander up and down the piece
and side-to-side. Done quickly, it doesn't bother the profile much at
all.

What?!?!?

You turned down the opportunity to buy some expensive shaped foam sanding
blocks? And made one yourself out of scrap?? That is unamerican! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09 Aug 2009 04:35:54 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

That looks like it'd tend to cause cramping.

I get "sympathy cramps" just looking at them, but it probably depends
on how tight you'd have to pinch it to keep the sandpaper from
slipping on the rubber form.

Never having used one, I can't say it would be a problem, but I
suspect it would be, especially for anybody with a touch of arthritis.
Maybe some repositionable spray adhesive would reduce the pinch
pressure required. And/or inserting/gluing that thin, flat grip in a
longitudinal slot in a large diameter dowel would make a handle that's
a little more ergonomically friendly to these old hands..

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:
On 09 Aug 2009 04:35:54 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

That looks like it'd tend to cause cramping.

I get "sympathy cramps" just looking at them, but it probably depends
on how tight you'd have to pinch it to keep the sandpaper from
slipping on the rubber form.

Never having used one, I can't say it would be a problem, but I
suspect it would be, especially for anybody with a touch of arthritis.
Maybe some repositionable spray adhesive would reduce the pinch
pressure required. And/or inserting/gluing that thin, flat grip in a
longitudinal slot in a large diameter dowel would make a handle that's
a little more ergonomically friendly to these old hands..

Use sticky-back sandpaper with them, either store-bought or make your own
with spray adhesive. They aren't nearly as bad as they look.

I don't have that set, I have the Porter Cable detail sander, which item is
pretty much worthless, but it came with a substantial set of formed widgets
very similar to but a little smaller than the 6 buck sets at Woodcraft. and
it turns out that they work a treat. If I had it to do over again I'd skip
the sander and just get the widgets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote
I appreciate the suggestions. After thinking about it for a while, I
took a piece of scrap material and cut a V-shaped notch out of the
center. After that, I stapled a piece of sandpaper to the non-bearing
edge.

To sand the round edges, I simply move the sander up and down the piece
and side-to-side. Done quickly, it doesn't bother the profile much at
all.

What?!?!?

You turned down the opportunity to buy some expensive shaped foam sanding
blocks? And made one yourself out of scrap?? That is unamerican! G

UnCanuckian too.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:
On 09 Aug 2009 04:35:54 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

That looks like it'd tend to cause cramping.

I get "sympathy cramps" just looking at them, but it probably depends
on how tight you'd have to pinch it to keep the sandpaper from
slipping on the rubber form.

Never having used one, I can't say it would be a problem, but I
suspect it would be, especially for anybody with a touch of arthritis.
Maybe some repositionable spray adhesive would reduce the pinch
pressure required. And/or inserting/gluing that thin, flat grip in a
longitudinal slot in a large diameter dowel would make a handle that's
a little more ergonomically friendly to these old hands..

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Fabric/craft stores will have this green foam-ish stuff for real cheap,
which is used for floral arrangements.
http://www.createforless.com/FloraCr.../plid2978.aspx
Make sure you choose the mushy stuff, not the hard styrofoam stuff.

It's very mushy and holds shapes very well. I push it against a shape in
a piece of wood to mold it, then place sandpaper in between, and voila!
instant custom profile sander.

It also has a certain sanding quality when used by itself, without
paper. I don't know what grit.

I've also seen moldable sanding blocks similar to this foam, that are
supposed to be able to conform to a profile and sand away.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" wrote

I appreciate the suggestions. After thinking about it for a while, I
took a piece of scrap material and cut a V-shaped notch out of the
center. After that, I stapled a piece of sandpaper to the
non-bearing edge.

To sand the round edges, I simply move the sander up and down the
piece and side-to-side. Done quickly, it doesn't bother the profile
much at all.

What?!?!?

You turned down the opportunity to buy some expensive shaped foam
sanding blocks? And made one yourself out of scrap?? That is
unamerican! G

Oops! I forgot I gotta put my hard earned money into getting more
things. Gotta get this economy going again, right? The $10 I'd spend on
those blocks means a meal for a congressman. I'll have to correct the
error straight away.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking