Posted to rec.woodworking

Default IKEA, Walmart & wood supply

Check out

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1223954/

Regards,

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
: Check out

: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1223954/

I'm not convinced -- seems like a diatribe to me.

-- Andy Barss, happy Ikea customer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 7:15*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

: Check out

:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ts-so-cheap/ar...

I'm not convinced -- seems like a diatribe to me.

* * * * -- Andy Barss, happy Ikea customer

Me too, Andy. (I'm a Staron fabricator for IKEA)

STEP BACK!!! There are LOTS of SPARKS flying.... I mean.. talk about
having an axe to grind.

They are catching all the dollars that WalMart and Stickley would like
to catch.
It is a niche product for a niche clientele.
It is a success story-and-a-half..... and all that 'green' jibber-
jabber? As IF no other AmeriCanadian corporation would LOVE to have
the same success and NOT caring about 'green' ****.

Let's face it, IKEA is the poster child for capitalism.

Skeeeerew the detractors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-29, Robatoy wrote:

Skeeeerew the detractors.

There's plenty to detract. I was also initially impressed with Ikea. Sure,
I immediately realized I was being herded through its tricky marketing maze
and all was not as it seemed. But, certain items were undeniable bargains.
Four dollars for the same CFLs Home Depot was charging $15 for and $30 for
essentially the same pot hanger rack Macy's was charging $100. I bought
these great deals.

OTOH, I saw plenty of evidence of shoddy mechandise. I was going to buy a
single bed w/ full length pull out drawer. Closer examination revealed
construction similar to most of the rest of their cabinets/furniture,
namely, thin stapled together composite board. IOW, junk! In a piece of
marketing brilliance, they had the returns piled right next to the
end-of-maze store exit for all to see. I know cheap crap when I see it and
seeing exactly where each item failed/broke was more than enlightening.
Poor design, cheap materials, and crappy quality abounded.

There are a few items making Ikea worth a visit. There's also a whole lotta
garbage that's a total rip-off.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-29, Robatoy wrote:

Skeeeerew the detractors.

[...]

Nøt åll their stûff is å bårgøøn. Thåt møch is truu.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
Check out

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1223954/

Regards,

Luigi

River banks...Log it , burn it , pave it grind it up, dry it out, Stick
some paper to the front of it staple it back together
= happy cheap modernism?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I dunno, I think you get what you pay for and their stuff is for the
most part a value for the dollar. No, my daughters bed is not made of
African Mahogany but the laminated press board went together easy, it
has stood up to a few years of abuse and still looks great. This bed
sits right in the floor with no legs, just a heavy frame. Excellent
value.

On the other hand, my ex-girlfriend had a bed for her daughter that
would obviously not last more than a few seconds of "activity" from a
pair of adults even though it was a double. But for the price, fit for
purpose and you couldn't find a better deal.

On 2009-07-29, Robatoy wrote:

Skeeeerew the detractors.

[...]

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
Is wood in short supply? George UK diy 3 August 18th 08 01:50 PM
What Happened to Wood Finishing Supply of Fort Bragg? Michael Danielson Woodworking 1 October 27th 06 01:40 AM
Wood Supply in Missoula or Kalispell, Montana??? rich Woodworking 3 December 30th 05 03:20 AM
IKEA Behandla Wood Treatment Oil Val UK diy 2 April 15th 05 03:04 PM