Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Cleaver Idea

Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the other
night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel pins
projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align dowels
with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Lew

I never found it hard or necessary to align the holes that precicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Have had one for years ... got the idea in a magazine at least 15 years
ago, maybe more. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post a link.
Mine is a double, with holes in a plywood cover that mirrors the three
dowels that hold the sandpaper/guide the ROS onto same.

A picture oughta be worth at least a couple of hundred words ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
[...]

Gee sounds neat. You got plans for that sucker??
:-)
j4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:43:14 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the other
night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel pins
projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align dowels
with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Lew

I never found it hard or necessary to align the holes that precicely.

Quite. If there is a problem, just stick a pencil into one hole on the
ROS and drop the sandpaper over that, through the corresponding hole
in the sandpaper disc. Aligning all the other holes is now merely a matter
of rotating the sheet.
Remember to remove pencil before operating the tool.

If that's too difficult (then maybe you shouldn't be using power tools :-),
just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all you'd
ever need.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pete" wrote in message
just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all you'd
ever need.

Not quite. You have to find some way to not put the sandpaper on upsidedown.
A $6000 optical reader should be sufficient.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"pete" wrote in message
just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all
you'd ever need.

Not quite. You have to find some way to not put the sandpaper on
upsidedown. A $6000 optical reader should be sufficient.

You could also add a CNC machine to make the holes in the sand paper
yourself. Not only would the holes be perfectly aligned, they'd fit any
hole pattern!

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 03:20:34 -0500, Upscale wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
just use another pencil in another hole - 2 reference points is all you'd
ever need.

Not quite. You have to find some way to not put the sandpaper on upsidedown.
A $6000 optical reader should be sufficient.

you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velco side).
Hmm, maybe there's a $100 tip-of-the-week in there somewhere.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).

Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 20, 10:18*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper *on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

Lew

When I 'have to' make holes, I use a 1/2" hole punch, like one you buy
in a cheap kit from HF etc. The difference is, I stick mine in a drill
press, and at run at slow speed.... about 5 sheets at the time. Works
like a beauty, eh?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pete" wrote:

you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velco side).

Shades of "Green side up".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 20, 9:18*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper *on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

My Bosch pad sander came with a widget (though of inferior plastic) to
do the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

I think a few missed the point here, the object is "not" to make holes in
regular paper rather to align the holes on the paper to the holes on the
sander pad. I have a friend that ownes a DeWalt finish sander and the
sander kit provided a paper stamp to punch the holes in the paper in the
correct locations for that sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

pete wrote:
[...]

Which direction is best, clockwise or counter clockwise?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).

Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO
confusing.
nobody to home
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 12:18*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).

Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). *Whatever shall I do? *Now I am all atwitter. *This is SOOO
confusing.
* * * * nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).
Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO
confusing.
nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.

Is it reversed if you are in China?
And how do they decide which side to mark on exports?

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 10:33*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).
Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".
but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). *Whatever shall I do? *Now I am all atwitter. *This is SOOO
confusing.
* * * * nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.

Is it reversed if you are in China?
And how do they decide which side to mark on exports?

That's Australia, not China, you dummy!

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" writes:
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

So what do you use the Cleaver for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 1:55*pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" writes:
Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

The dowels were arranged in a geometric pattern that just happened to
match the dust pick up holes of his ROS.

Application:

Place sandpaper *on gadget aligning holes with dowels, then align
dowels with holes on ROS and seat paper.

Neat idea IMHO.

So what do you use the Cleaver for?

What a cleaver might look like:

http://epguides.com/LeaveIttoBeaver/cast.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).
Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO
confusing.
nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.

Hmm - this sounds akin to the blonde who used a marker to write "TGIF"
inside all her shoes...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2009 7:18 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

I thought you were going to tell us how to make a knife.

Don't you mean "clever"?

(How many others think Usenet is contributing to the decline and fall of
basic spelling abilities?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My Bosch pad sander came with a widget (though of inferior plastic)

do the same.

Must be something rather recent with Bosch.
My last 3727, about 3 years old, didn't have one.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
you mean your sandpaper discs don't come with the text:
"other way up" on them?
(or better: "this side down" on the velcro side).
Actually, when you're using your sander, the velcro faces up, so it should
be "this side up".

but but but... when I put new paper on, the sander is upside down (he
wailed). Whatever shall I do? Now I am all atwitter. This is SOOO
confusing.
nobody to home

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.

There is a down-side to everything...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 1:16*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
wrote:
My Bosch pad sander came with a widget (though of inferior plastic)

do the same.

Must be something rather recent with Bosch.
My last 3727, about 3 years old, didn't have one.

R1297DK. It's the "PunchPlate" used to punch the 1/4 sheet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

(How many others think Usenet is contributing to the decline and fall of
basic spelling abilities?)

I don't think it's actually Usenet. I'd chalked it all up to the
increasing scarcity of trollbane.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I didn't think it was that useful when I saw it in an old "methods
of work" compilation from Fine Woodworking about 10 years ago.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter which
side you're on.

Designers should avoid that kind of ambiguity.

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hmm - this sounds akin to the blonde who used a marker to write "TGIF"
inside all her shoes...

Tits go in first?

A perfect illustration of why this doesn't work for guys.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 21, 12:18 pm, jo4hn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Try Toes, see if that works for you.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As seen on a Claymore mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter
which side you're on.

Designers should avoid that kind of ambiguity.

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As long as it also has the essential caveat "do not eat".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:57:44 -0400, dadiOH wrote:
pete wrote:
[...]

Clockwise in the northern hemisphere, anti-clockwise in the southern.
What you do on the equator will probably invalidate your warranty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter
which side you're on.

Designers should avoid that kind of ambiguity.

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As long as it also has the essential caveat "do not eat".

Or, for some military munitions, "Not a step"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As seen on a Claymore mine.

someone who had a spa

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/art...2landmine.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default UPDATE: A Cleaver Idea

HeyBub wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

There is always a down-side to marking things 'up-side'. The up-side
is that when marked 'up-side', the downside is that the down-side
isn't marked 'downside' in most cases. That holds true no matter
which side you're on.

Designers should avoid that kind of ambiguity.

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

------------
"Somebody seems to have got the wrong idea about charitable donations -
after they left a land mine in a charity donation box, forcing the
evacuation of a mall in Colorado.

"The rectangular, olive-green box with the words 'Front Toward Enemy' raised
the suspicions of Goodwill workers...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...9&in_page_id=2

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:23:50 -0700, the infamous "CW"
scrawled the following:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"This side toward enemy" is one example of doing it right.

As seen on a Claymore mine.

Claymores are my favorite "BB gun!" arr, arr, arr

--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:14:31 -0700, the infamous David Nebenzahl
scrawled the following:

On 7/20/2009 7:18 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Was watching an old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the
other night.

A viewer had sent in a working prototype of his idea.

A circular piece of wood 1/2"-3/4" thick with a group of 3/8" dowel
pins projecting about 1/2" from a flat face.

I thought you were going to tell us how to make a knife.

Don't you mean "clever"?

I thought it was very Cleaver, Wally. (NOW do you get it?)
[OK, so you didn't get it. Wally Cleaver was The Beave's brother in
Leave it to Beaver, a '50s TV program.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Cleaver

(How many others think Usenet is contributing to the decline and fall of
basic spelling abilities?)

Nah, I wouldn't say it was contributing, just _exposing_ all the
maroons out there. (Bugs Bunny slang for "morons")