Posted to rec.woodworking

Default saving some oak veneer off mdf board

Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak veneer,
which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the mdf board
to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 12:23*pm, "john royce" wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); *i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. *it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak veneer,
which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the mdf board
to be able to re-use it? * Thanks for advice

Nope.

What's wrong with using the veneered MDF?

Posted to rec.woodworking

john royce wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak
veneer, which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the
mdf board to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

Quick answer, no. At least not a practical way. just use the whole thing
as is if it hasn't gotten rained on to the point of ruination--there's
nothing wrong with MDF as a cabinetry material as long as you understand its
limitations, the most important of which being KEEP IT DRY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

john royce wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak veneer,
which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the mdf board
to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

A large enough bandsaw could resaw the veneer off the MDF but it's
doubtful it would be worth the effort.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
john royce wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak
veneer, which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the
mdf board to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

Quick answer, no. At least not a practical way. just use the whole thing
as is if it hasn't gotten rained on to the point of ruination--there's
nothing wrong with MDF as a cabinetry material as long as you understand its
limitations, the most important of which being KEEP IT DRY.

At first I thought you could re-use it in the fire pit, but then I
remembered that it's full of glue, which is bad to burn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 12:12*pm, scritch wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
john royce wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); *i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. *it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak
veneer, which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfy thin veneer off the
mdf board to be able to re-use it? * Thanks for advice

Based on recent experience and my recent post I can't imagine getting
anything off of a piece of veneered MDF. On the sample I saw at the
lumberyard yesterday the veneer was so thin you could practically rub
it off. Can't believe you could salvage it. Just use it as is as
though it was a piece of veneer plywood.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

john royce wrote:
Taking out of the builders skip, thrown away timber (as one does); i
thought i had struck lucky with a huge shelf sized piece of oak.

No such luck. it was mdf (i.e. compressed fibre board) with an oak
veneer, which is all of 0.5mm thick.

Is there any way a novice could get this verfythinveneer off the
mdf board to be able to re-use it? Thanks for advice

Based on recent experience and my recent post I can't imagine getting
anything off of a piece of veneered MDF. On the sample I saw at the
lumberyard yesterday the veneer was sothinyou could practically rub
it off. Can't believe you could salvage it. Just use it as is as
though it was a piece of veneer plywood.

RonB

I cut thin veneers off plywood and mdf to have a matching veneer on
the edge of the sheets.
All you have to do is make a sawblade dado at the width you need the
strip- up to a couple of inches high, then cut the plywood on edge
(vertically) on the table saw to release the veneer.
You have to hold the sheet very solidly very close to the blade and
after the blade, and have both a zero clearance insert and an outfeed
table.

The guy demonstrating the Grip-tite magnetic featherbord at the
woodworking shows has done it for 10 years in his demo. I saw a
picture of Frank Klausz doing the same cut with a Grip-Tite on the
edge of a 5' x 3' tabletop in American Woodworker back in 1994. THe
used one old wood one.
Here is a video of the cut at the Seattle Woodworking show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJRVZ...e=channel_page