Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stanley Sweetheart (SW) planes

Heads Up: Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW logo, including
a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. They look interesting, if a bit pricey;
it's not clear from the pictures I've seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.

Could find no information on Stanley's web site, but one of the big mail-order vendors
(with a local store presence) is selling them.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 6:42*pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
Heads Up: * Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW logo, including
a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. * *They look interesting, if a bit pricey;
it's not clear from the pictures I've seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.

Could find no information on Stanley's web site, but one of the big mail-order vendors
(with a local store presence) is selling them.

Stanley...? Starting to make quality tools again...?

Is this a troll?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodcraft is carrying them.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=21287
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:
Woodcraft is carrying them.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=21287
Art

If they're being made in a new factory they may be OK. The last UK Stanley
I bought showed every evidence that the tooling on which it was made was
just plain worn out.

On the other hand if they shipped the worn out tooling from the UK then I
don't expect much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" writes:
Artemus wrote:
Woodcraft is carrying them.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=21287
Art

If they're being made in a new factory they may be OK. The last UK Stanley
I bought showed every evidence that the tooling on which it was made was
just plain worn out.

On the other hand if they shipped the worn out tooling from the UK then I
don't expect much.

I'm not sure what tooling you're referring to, the body is cast then milled,
and CNC milling machines are pretty common.

Regardless, these (from the pictures on woodcraft) look a lot more like L-N
than old stanleys, which would imply new "tooling".

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:10:36 GMT, "Artemus" wrote:

Woodcraft is carrying them.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=21287
Art

I look forward to seeing one of these kits. I'd like to see Stanley making some excellent hardware
again. I have had several of their planes, but kept little that is post WW-II. I like the original
Sweetheart planes, and hope these are as good. If they are, that may reduce the demand (and price)
for user grade originals, which will make bottom feeders like me extremely happy.

My low angle block plane is a pre-1907 #65 that looks like it has been through the war - chipped
cap, chipped body, came pre=rusted so I didn't have to, and overall amazingly ugly. The sole was
flat so it was only a couple hours effort to de-rust it, free up the mouth, flatten the blade and
scary sharpen it. It's a joy to use, and was bottom-feeder cheap. er, I mean frugal..

Yours in fine fettle,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On 16 Jul 2009 01:31:00 GMT, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

If they're being made in a new factory they may be OK. The last UK Stanley
I bought showed every evidence that the tooling on which it was made was
just plain worn out.

On the other hand if they shipped the worn out tooling from the UK then I
don't expect much.

I'm not sure what tooling you're referring to, the body is cast then milled,
and CNC milling machines are pretty common.

Regardless, these (from the pictures on woodcraft) look a lot more like L-N
than old stanleys, which would imply new "tooling".

I thought the 62 looks like the old 62, which looks a lot like the excellent 62-1/2 being sold by
Lee Valley, just smaller. Stanley hasn't made a 62 since 1942, so I imagine it is new tooling for at
least this plane.

The 9-1/2 and 60-1/2 look like the current production, apparently with an upgraded blade. Not a lot
of info available at the Woodcraft site. Since these planes have adjustable mouths, dropping in a
thicker blade is a snap. Considering how small the frogs are on these planes compared to old (as in
around 1900) production, a wider blade is a very good idea.

The #4 doesn't resemble the Bedrock (or the LN bench plane either) other than both have totes and
knobs. The cap iron, lateral adjuster and frog are completely different. The mechanism used in
the new #4 is very similar to that used on the 62.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:01:13 -0700 (PDT), Odeen wrote:

Very interesting. Who knew Stanley would wake up one day and
recognize there was money to be made in the "gentleman woodworker,"
tool market. I wonder if this is a custom shop that's licensed
Stanley's name.

Maybe they'll offer a corrugated sole? I could be tempted if there was not so much good hardware
out there already just waiting to be resurrected. Last week I refurbished three Disston D-20's I
picked up for pocket change. They are still better saws than most others that have been made in
the last 50 or so years.

O'Deen
Just say For now I'll stick with my crispy type-11 #6 (fore plane,
Jeff), equipped with a Hock A-2 blade

Does the Hock blade really make a big difference? I have not upgraded because I'm reluctant to open
up the mouth to accommodate the thicker blade, and there is no going back. Perhaps I need to get an
expendable plane to experiment with, say a type-16 #5 (jack plane, Jeff). Could always turn it
into a big scrub plane if it doesn't pan out.

Regards,
Roy - who is growing more Galootish every day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:
Heads Up: Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW
logo, including a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. They look
interesting, if a bit pricey; it's not clear from the pictures I've
seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.

No, these are entirely new animals with new features. Check out this
article Christopher Schwarz has done on them:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...e+Arrived.aspx

The new #4 smoother has a Norris style adjuster, a lock down for
the lateral adjustment, and adjustable mouth and the frog is cast
as an integral part of the body.

I've had my hands on the 60-1/2 block and the 62 low angle jack.
While the planes are actually made in Mexico, the quality on them is
much better than what Stanley has been doing in recent years. If you
want to see them up close, go to a Woodcraft store and ask to see them
out of the box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 6:42 pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
Heads Up: Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW logo, including
a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. They look interesting, if a bit pricey;
it's not clear from the pictures I've seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.

Could find no information on Stanley's web site, but one of the big mail-order vendors
(with a local store presence) is selling them.

Stanley...? Starting to make quality tools again...?

Donno about planes, but Stanley makes chisels, screwdrivers, hammers,
handsaws and other stuff labeled "BIG MAX" that are pretty durn good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:59:48 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 6:42 pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
Heads Up: Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW logo, including
a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. They look interesting, if a bit pricey;
it's not clear from the pictures I've seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.

Could find no information on Stanley's web site, but one of the big mail-order vendors
(with a local store presence) is selling them.

Stanley...? Starting to make quality tools again...?

Donno about planes, but Stanley makes chisels, screwdrivers, hammers,
handsaws and other stuff labeled "BIG MAX" that are pretty durn good.

Make that "FAT MAX". Allright for WalMart tools. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 10:23*pm, Roy wrote:

Does the Hock blade really make a big difference? *I have not upgraded because I'm reluctant to open
up the mouth to accommodate the thicker blade, and there is no going back.. *Perhaps I need to get an
expendable plane to experiment with, say a type-16 *#5 (jack plane, Jeff). *Could always turn it
into a big scrub plane if it doesn't pan out.

Hmmmm. Mine never needed any modification. (Type-11). I've got the
mouth closed down to a gnat's ass, and it takes shavings so thin and
fluffy, they float up. Also have a Hock carbon steel blade in a
Type-11 #3c and same story.

Best,
O'Deen