crj

Default Stanley planes value?

I have a stanley #46 plane and a #48 plane both in excelent condition.
Where is the best place to sell these ?
how is the value determined?
Contact me off list if interested in them.

Thanks
Chuck Johnston

JackD

"crj" wrote in message
I have a stanley #46 plane and a #48 plane both in excelent condition.
Where is the best place to sell these ?

Ebay.com

how is the value determined?

By the highest bidder.

-Jack

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:26:46 -0700, "crj" wrote:

I have a stanley #46 plane and a #48 plane both in excelent condition.
Where is the best place to sell these ?

Open a dealer shop, or use eBay.

Dealers will sell them for considerably more than eBay. But the great
thing about eBay to a seller is that things rarely sell for much below
their real worth. So many people watch it that you can usually rely on
at least two recognising what they're worth. Selling them to a small
audience, or to a price that you set yourself, requires a good idea of
their "market value" before you start.

Of course, many items sell for far in excess of "real worth", if the
conditions are just right for the seller. But that's a political
rant...

how is the value determined?

#46 - $100 - $1000
#49 - $50

Go higher if they're in better conditions, or the market is feeling
generous. The #46 had some early variants with florid decoration -
they're the ones that make the big money (but they're still no bronze
Millers Falls)

The #49 is a bit of an oddity, in that it's actually useful.

Steven Bliss

Uh oh...you haven't heard. They are outlawed in all 50 states. better send
them to me. I have the new banned tool destroying machine, and would be
happy to get rid of the evidence for you. Contact me :-)
"crj" wrote in message
I have a stanley #46 plane and a #48 plane both in excelent condition.
Where is the best place to sell these ?
how is the value determined?
Contact me off list if interested in them.

Thanks
Chuck Johnston

Larry C in Auburn, WA

A quick search on eBay showed the #46 typically going for approx $30-$50
and the #48 for $50-$75. Of course it all depends on the condition and
whether yours are desirable collectors or not. You'd have to spend more
time comparing yours to the 10-15 auctions I looked at to do a better
comparison. For example, the #46 went for a low of $25 to a high of $177,
but it seemed if someone wanted one they could pick one up for $40-50 fairly
easily.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA