Posted to rec.woodworking

Default American Workshop Program

Subject show on a PBS station here.

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and
camera work found on NYW.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Never heard of it. Neither has PBS according to their website.

Was broadcast on one of the secondary digital channels.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default American Workshop Program-Update

Correction:

Should read: American Woodshop with Scott Phillips.

Found in on WBGU which from the looks of it would be loacted at
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green,Ohio.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:BRP4m.2812$9l4.1039
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Subject show on a PBS station here.

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and
camera work found on NYW.

Lew

I've seen it a couple times. It's extremely easy to get lost attempting
to follow the project. I wonder if he needs to take a modular approach,
giving an overview of the project and then later on describing each
section.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I've seen it a couple times. It's extremely easy to get lost
attempting
to follow the project. I wonder if he needs to take a modular
approach,
giving an overview of the project and then later on describing each
section.

Maybe try watching how they do it on NYW.

Reminds me of an engineer trying to make a sales proposal.

Most of the time it is brutal to watch.

I can say that cause I R oneG

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and
camera work found on NYW.

I thought it was only me. I suppose Scott Phillips is a nice man and
all that, but he tends to dumb down much of what he does. Also, his
rhetoric is stilted and his tone is often patronizing. It seems the
show is more about him than the project.

On the plus side, he does exude enthusiasm, and I guess he's popular
enough to stay on the air.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Subject show on a PBS station here.

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and camera
work found on NYW.

Lew

I have to agree with you there Lew, Scott is way toooooooo touchy feely for
me and his relatively brand new shop is a cluttered mess.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 10:36*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Subject show on a PBS station here.

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and camera
work found on NYW.

Lew

I have to agree with you there Lew, *Scott is way toooooooo touchy feely for
me and his relatively brand new shop is a cluttered mess.

I agree with the above comments and need to add one more IMPORTANT
one. I have seen him put a long piece of plywood (4 or 5 feet) on
the table saw and push it through with the short end against the rip
fence. And of course there are no anti kickback pawls or blade guard.
That is a recipe for disaster that I don't think the uninitiated
individuals who might be watching the show need to imitate. Of
course, it may be a fast way to initiate them!

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 8, 2:20*pm, "CW" wrote:
OK. That I have seen *and agree with your take on the show.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Correction:

Should read: American Woodshop with Scott Phillips.

Found in on WBGU which from the looks of it would be loacted at Bowling
Green State University, Bowling Green,Ohio.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lew

I wonder if we should recomend it be discontinued on PBS. If possible
I would like to see the shows by ?? Marks that used to be on HGTV in
its place.

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 10:36 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Subject show on a PBS station here.

Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and camera
work found on NYW.

Lew

I have to agree with you there Lew, Scott is way toooooooo touchy feely
for
me and his relatively brand new shop is a cluttered mess.

I agree with the above comments and need to add one more IMPORTANT
one. I have seen him put a long piece of plywood (4 or 5 feet) on
the table saw and push it through with the short end against the rip
fence. And of course there are no anti kickback pawls or blade guard.
That is a recipe for disaster that I don't think the uninitiated
individuals who might be watching the show need to imitate. Of
course, it may be a fast way to initiate them!

Len

Same as Norm, Scott says you should use all of the guards, he has them
removed for the TV only.
Also says the most important piece of safet equipment is the safety
glasses... brain is optional.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.

That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and
camera work found on NYW.

The American Woodshop is worse than NYW but I liked Woodsmith Magazine
show the best. PBS took it off the air around here? It was really
good, really good HD video, and the guys involved were all wood workers.
I'd be surprised if Scott Phillips ever made anything respectable.

I thought it was only me. I suppose Scott Phillips is a nice man and
all that, but he tends to dumb down much of what he does.

Really! He sucks. I know because I've built stuff using his lazy ass
techniques and it always turns out bad. He also doesn't use good
procedures and often I just shake my head. I truly think someone else
builds his stuff for him, he is that bad. His finishes are almost as
bad if not worse than Norms. I figure I'm the worlds 3rd worse finisher
and my stuff if worlds ahead of both Norm and Scott, but then I'm not on TV.

Also, his
rhetoric is stilted and his tone is often patronizing. It seems the
show is more about him than the project.

He has little comfort level with his tools and it is obvious to me.
When he uses the table saw, with all that safety crap and goofy push
sticks he looks like an accident waiting to happen. Norm looks more
like a normal craftsman, familiar with his tools, not perfectly safe,
not perfectly scared.

Scott should get his hands on De Cristoforo's Complete Book Of Power
Tools and learn how to use his tools before going on TV to try to
entertain woodworkers.

On the plus side, he does exude enthusiasm, and I guess he's popular
enough to stay on the air.

I watch him out of boredom, but always after watching him work, wonder
how bad his stuff looks in real life. I often see glimpses of his
shoddy workmanship even on TV. I don't particularly like capping on a
fellow woodworkers skill level, but hell, the guy is on TV?

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server:
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

I guess his show will join the Router Workshop. I'm kind of sad
about that.

Show with good ideas but with doink meisters as instructors.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news
"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

I guess his show will join the Router Workshop. I'm kind of sad about
that.

Show with good ideas but with doink meisters as instructors.

Lew

Yeah, Do you really have to show rounding over an edge on 57 pieces of wood?
The first pass should be enough demonstration for just about every one
except that guy the was on, ummmm, the WoodWork Show?, he commonly called
his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. NOT to be confused with David Marks on
Woodworks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Yeah, Do you really have to show rounding over an edge on 57 pieces
of wood? The first pass should be enough demonstration for just
about every one except that guy the was on, ummmm, the WoodWork
Show?, he commonly called his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. NOT to be
confused with David Marks on Woodworks.

When you see the poor quality of many of the woodworking programs out
there, you begin to realize the talent Morash brings to the table with
a program like NYW.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Yeah, Do you really have to show rounding over an edge on 57 pieces of
wood? The first pass should be enough demonstration for just about every
one except that guy the was on, ummmm, the WoodWork Show?, he commonly
called his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. NOT to be confused with David Marks
on Woodworks.

When you see the poor quality of many of the woodworking programs out
there, you begin to realize the talent Morash brings to the table with a
program like NYW.

Lew

And he has had about 30 yers to perfect the process.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Yeah, Do you really have to show rounding over an edge on 57 pieces of
wood? The first pass should be enough demonstration for just about every
one except that guy the was on, ummmm, the WoodWork Show?, he commonly
called his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. NOT to be confused with David Marks
on Woodworks.

When you see the poor quality of many of the woodworking programs out
there, you begin to realize the talent Morash brings to the table with a
program like NYW.

Norm at least appears to take some care with accuracy, even though he
seldom to never shows the steps involved to be accurate. Scott does
things slipshod, and shows himself doing exactly that.

And he has had about 30 yers to perfect the process.

When Norm first started, before NYW on This Old House, I clearly recall
him tearing down part of a house to rebuild it, and specifically stating
the old wood was too dried up to be of any use and was just trash. I
was about ready to jump through the TV because at the time I was
searching out just such wood for its unbelievable patina. Norm has
learned a lot about wood, and cabinetry since becoming a cabinet guy.
He was a good carpenter on this old house, he was not so good a cabinet
maker when he first started the NYW. He still tends to **** off a lot
of cabinet makers with 27 air nailers at his beck and call, but I can
recognize he is a craftsman, more so if he would lose the air nailers.

Also, you would think he would know how to avoid 10 gallons of glue
squeeze out on his joints by now? Whats up with that?

Now that I think about it, the dumb ass, Scott on the American
woodworker show just the other day said, in public, that he prefers
white glue to yellow wood glue because it dries CLEAR and you can't see
it! WTF? He then goes on to stain the project... wonder how all that
clear white glue looked after that? This guy is on TV? Give me a break.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

I guess his show will join the Router Workshop. I'm kind of sad
about that.

Show with good ideas but with doink meisters as instructors.

I was continually disappointed with how little TRW actually
demonstrated in half an hour.

Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad
they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad
fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

God made remotes so you can change the channel!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message
Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad
they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad
fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a small
piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"scritch" wrote in message
Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad
they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad
fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a small
piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.

If you read their posts, they clearly feel that they know more than the
"hacks" that they are complaining about. It's kind of like

"Man, this stuff tastes terrible!"

"Yeah, and there ain't enough, either."

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Upscale wrote:
Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a small
piece of new knowledge ...

Isn't that how Eve caused so much trouble???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote:

Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how
bad they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of
bad fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

God made remotes so you can change the channel!

I started this thread with a comment to the effect that try as I
might, couldn't watch more than about half the program before walking
away.

IMHO, the program is garbage, and I won't be wasting any more time
trying to watch it.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

I guess his show will join the Router Workshop. I'm kind of sad
about that.
Show with good ideas but with doink meisters as instructors.

I was continually disappointed with how little TRW actually
demonstrated in half an hour.

Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad
they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad
fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

Akshully, I haven't watched in almost 10 years. The continuous
beg-a-thons that preempted the shows pretty much killed my desire to waste
time coming into the house to watch Norm or Scott Phillips only to see the
opening for yet another high-donation acquiring installment of "Hannah from
Hoboken" instead of Norm.

God made remotes so you can change the channel!

... and shops to keep the TV off (or let the youngster watch instead)

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
Upscale wrote:

Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a
small piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.

If you read their posts, they clearly feel that they know more than the
"hacks" that they are complaining about.

Upscales right, even if I know 1000 times more than you, It's still very
easy to learn something new, even from a hack.

It's kind of like

"Man, this stuff tastes terrible!"

"Yeah, and there ain't enough, either."

If a man is starving, he'll eat maggots, if sated, he can be picky.
I have over 500 stations and the only woodworking shows are old NYW
reruns and Scott Phillips. I can watch Days of Our Lives or ****ty
woodworking shows, so I pick ****ty woodworking shows. If Scott Phillips
likes white glue because you can't see it when it dries, I'll bitch
about it all I want.

I would like a show, or a shop teacher, or anyone attempting to teach or
publicly display for cash, woodworking, or gymnastics, or surgery (or
anything} to have a handle on what he is doing. Scott Phillips is an
idiot when it comes to woodworking. Norm OK, even good, but still, he
needs someone else to spread the glue, and the nail guns belong in the
this old house series, not the NYW. I see no reason to be quiet about
it, especially on a woodworking news group.

When anyone says something wrong here, he gets trashed. Even if you say
something right, odds are excellent you will still get trashed. Why
the **** would you think guys doing stupid **** on tv for money should
be left alone?

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
When anyone says something wrong here, he gets trashed. Even if you say
something right, odds are excellent you will still get trashed. Why the
**** would you think guys doing stupid **** on tv for money should be left
alone?

Obviously, Philips is a professional. He said so many times, just so we
won't mistake his antics for anything else. Alas, I'm certain his profession
is something other than woodworking and fine furniture. I got hooked on his
show on the very second episode I watched. At the end of that program, he
displayed the antique he had just "restored". He explained that the creaking
hinges gives it instant credibility as a true antique, causing the owner of
the piece to mutter loudly "You've GOT to be joking!" as she stormed off
camera. I've watched it regularly since for the belly laughs. More usually,
though, I just cringe silently at the televised butchery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message
Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a

small
piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.

If you read their posts, they clearly feel that they know more than the
"hacks" that they are complaining about. It's kind of like

Sure there might be a terrible host with an "I know it all attitude" that
really knows nothing. But, eventually he/she is going to use a tool you've
never seen before, or use a construction method that's new to you and there
you go, you now know something new you didn't know before.

If you're bored out of your mind and you're going to watch TV anyway, then
it might was well be some hack on a woodworking show rather than The Young
and the Restless. Look at it this way, at least you get something to
complain about that you didn't have before.

Yeah, yeah, Robatoy, I know, I shouldn't be 'dissin your Y&R show...