Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maybe OT - cutting granite

Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond
blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markndawoods" wrote in message
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

You can make small cuts in granite with an electric grinder and a suitable
disk. Difficult to be accurate, the finish will be rough and I would never
attempt to smooth or polish even a small piece of edge with ordinary
abrasives.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers and
many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles. A local
installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a fee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers and
many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles. A local
installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a fee.

That is kind of what I figured, just hoping for a solution I could do in my
shop.

Thanks for the reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond
blade or what?

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up
some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge?
Should be good enough for shop use.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markndawoods wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers
and many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles.
A local installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a
fee.

That is kind of what I figured, just hoping for a solution I could do
in my shop.

Thanks for the reply

You might want to take a look at
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/ex...ttingstone.php which has a
couple of nice videos that show how to cut stone with a hammer and chisel
and with a diamond saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond
blade or what?

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up
some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge?
Should be good enough for shop use.

I'd be inclined to visit a local headstone shop, but if the angle
grinder idea has appeal, then something like the fifth and sixth photos
from the top at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

might work as a holder to run along a straight edge.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Chris Friesen wrote:
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up
some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge?
Should be good enough for shop use.

I'd be inclined to visit a local headstone shop, but if the angle grinder
idea has appeal, then something like the fifth and sixth photos from the
top at

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

might work as a holder to run along a straight edge.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

A friend of mine cuts granite using a hand-held circular saw with a special
blade, runs water over the cut to keep things cool, and has a GFI on the
power source for the saw. I'd want pneumatics for this, but he makes nice
cuts, and is still among us.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond
blade or what?

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up
some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge?
Should be good enough for shop use.

Chris

i cut lots of granite slab using an angle grinder with a 4" dry diamond
blade, if it's too large to fit on the table of my tile saw. don't breath
the dust, btw. if you want a polished edge, you need a water-feed
grinder/polisher. i use this one:

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Alp...d-Wet-Polisher

depending upon the size, just find a tile guy. home depot will cut it for
you for not very much/cut.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:37:37 -0700, "Markndawoods"
wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
tanews.com...
Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a
diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers and
many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles. A local
installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a fee.

That is kind of what I figured, just hoping for a solution I could do in my
shop.

Wet saws aren't all that expensive and are useful things to have
around. I bought one a few years back for tile and have used it quite
a bit. HarborFreight has a fairly nice one for what I paid for mine
($250ish).

A case of beer might get an installer to cut it for you. He might
even share. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:31:34 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Markndawoods wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond
blade or what?

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up
some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge?
Should be good enough for shop use.

Ir a diamond blade in an old circular saw. Use a hose to wet down the
granite. Not too wet though (electricity and water don't mix well).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

This appears to be a one shot deal.

Think BARTER.

A case of Little Greenies can accomplish a lot.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 1:16*am, "Markndawoods" wrote:
Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper
sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond
blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

I'm a bit late to the party. Use a diamond masonry blade in your
circular saw. A low-cost one will do fine.
Clamp on a fence, and take 1/4" passes. Dry. And reasonably quickly.
Outside with goggles and dust mask, stay up-wind, because it gets some
dusty.
I do this all the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 01:31:51 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Subject

This appears to be a one shot deal.

Think BARTER.

A case of Little Greenies can accomplish a lot.

Some years back it got me a new ("mud job") tub surround by one of the
best tile guys in the area. ;-)