Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Roll Top Desk

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
news:6pB3m.2277$9l4.1007 @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Watched an old NTW rerun of Norm making a roll top desk

The construction is pretty straight forward, but still would require
a lot of man hours to build.

Piece looks good to my untrained eye, but it raises a question.

In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

Lew

The monitor is the biggest issue with a roll top. They tend to sit
higher than the roll top rolls, so with a monitor on the desk, it
won't close. If you accept a smaller monitor or a taller roll top,
you might be able to make use of a roll top as a computer station.

Laptops are another option, but be forewarned that frequent opening
and closing can cause the hinges to wear out faster. Technology isn't
progressing as notably rapidly as it did in the old days, so old
machines tend to hang around longer.

Solve the monitor issue, and the functionality of the pigeon hole
system would still work. There's things like CDs and Flash Drives
that ideal for small storage holes.

Puckdropper

I think the monitor issue would be best solved with one of those in-desk
setups. With the current flat panels, it should be fairly easy to make
a slanted in-desk monitor. Of course, you're going to be stuck with the
size opening you make ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 08:40:28 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

The monitor is the biggest issue with a roll top. They tend to sit
higher than the roll top rolls, so with a monitor on the desk, it won't
close. If you accept a smaller monitor or a taller roll top, you might
be able to make use of a roll top as a computer station.

If you used one of the LCD monitors and left an appropriate size opening
in the center of the pigeon holes, the monitor should fit back in far
enough that it would not interfere with the top.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

Unless the usage is simply visual interaction rather than actual work,
my experience w/ constrained surfaces for computer work stations is
"they suck" (professional, technical term ).

There's never enough space to lay out all the necessary paraphernalia
associated w/ actual "work-work".

Additionally, the work surface may be too high for the keyboard and
building in a keyboard drawer may entail much rearranging of the
pedestals, etc., depending on the size of Nahm's desk.

IMO, it's one of those "sounds good but doesn't work so well in
practice" kind of adaptations. OTOH, if the computer is just to surf
the web or such and the idea is to hide it for the most part, it'll
serve that purpose.

Anyway, a viewpoint.

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., of course...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
If you used one of the LCD monitors and left an appropriate size opening
in the center of the pigeon holes, the monitor should fit back in far
enough that it would not interfere with the top.

It would still have to be designed a little bigger (higher) since most roll
tops don't completely slide out of sight with some of the 'rolls' curved
over the top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might stroll through some nicer furniture stores. I have seen
several rolltops designed for computer use - some pretty slick
design. Compared to the traditional desk with nooks and storage
drawers, most are a compromise; but you might find some good ideas.
Of course you should take a sketch pad and tape measure just to
irritate the sales crew.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Upscale wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Unless the usage is simply visual interaction rather than actual work,
my experience w/ constrained surfaces for computer work stations is
"they suck" (professional, technical term ).

Naaaah! You're missing all the fun of woodworking. That's where you modify
as needed to fit your working requirements. My plan would be to design the
desk with enough traditional layout for the work-work paper part of the
equation and then add the integrated computer components. ...

...The only thing lacking right now is the space to build it all.

Essentially my point.

_IF_ (the proverbial "big if") there's enough space to handle as large a
workspace around the computer components there's no reason one can't
make it into a rolltop (or anything else, either, for that matter).

I interpreted Lew's query in the roughly equivalent footprint of a
standard rolltop desk which I think is totally inadequate for the purpose.

I built the workstation here using a 7-ft solid-core door as the
starting point for the top (primarily to speed up the process; I was
newly repositioned into being self-employed rather unexpectedly and
hadn't much time to get going on "real" work). I wasn't thinking and by
the time I had the two bases built w/ sufficient room for printer and
set of file drawers in one, the 'puter unit and drawers in another, when
set it up there wasn't but a foot or so between... So, 10 years
later, the one base sets point to the end and the other forward...and I
still haven't gotten the drawers built! But, it does have at least
marginally sufficient working surface...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

I built the workstation here using a 7-ft solid-core door as the
starting point for the top (primarily to speed up the process; I was
newly repositioned into being self-employed rather unexpectedly and
hadn't much time to get going on "real" work). I wasn't thinking
and by the time I had the two bases built w/ sufficient room for
printer and set of file drawers in one, the 'puter unit and drawers
in another, when set it up there wasn't but a foot or so between...
So, 10 years later, the one base sets point to the end and the
other forward...and I still haven't gotten the drawers built! But,
it does have at least marginally sufficient working surface...

For out right speed in completing the building task, it's tough to
beat a 36" wide solid core door for a desk top and a couple of 2 high
file drawers to rest it on.

Cheap and fast, if you buy the F/Ds from a used office furniture
outfit.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Watched an old NTW rerun of Norm making a roll top desk

The construction is pretty straight forward, but still would require a
lot of man hours to build.

Piece looks good to my untrained eye, but it raises a question.

In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

I wouldn't, in spite of how much appeal some of the nicer roll-tops have
had for me.

What's worked best for me has been a 3' x 6-1/2' Formica-topped desk,
with a 4' x 6' bookcase (for reference books) on one side and a
three-drawer lateral file on the other (because there hasn't been any
way to completely escape the paper-handling bit).

On one consulting trip I bought a 36"-wide door and used that for a desk
top in my temporary digs, and that worked out fairly well. One pedestal
was a bookcase and the other held a full-sized tower computer.

After 50 years of "electronic manipulation", my dream setup would be a
walk-in, 12' diameter desk with a 6' "hole" in the center (for the most
comfortable posture-enhancing swivel chair on wheels that I could find).

I've even fantasized about building a round room to put it in.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Unless the usage is simply visual interaction rather than actual work,
my experience w/ constrained surfaces for computer work stations is
"they suck" (professional, technical term ).

Naaaah! You're missing all the fun of woodworking. That's where you modify
as needed to fit your working requirements. My plan would be to design the
desk with enough traditional layout for the work-work paper part of the
equation and then add the integrated computer components. That means a slide
out keyboard (could even slide out from the side of some slot), a slide out
or swing out monitor and the rest of the system is hidden with relatively
easy access to the case for cdrom/dvd use if necessary. Not much else in the
way of access is needed except maybe a USB hub for plugging stuff in and an
easy to reach power switch for turning it all on.

I've long dreamed about building an entire wall unit/desk unit/computer
system integrated setup for myself. Closed up, it would like simple finely
polished, panelled doors. Opened, it would look like the bridge of the most
recent starship Enterprise. The only thing lacking right now is the space to
build it all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
Of course you should take a sketch pad and tape measure just to
irritate the sales crew.

No need to irritate them. You just say that you need to measure for fit (fit
for internal components *and* placement of entire unit). Digital camera
images taken for wife's approval.

It's all in the wording.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:
Hah, got you beat speed wise and money wise there. My first unit was
hollow core door with two stacked on their side milk crates each
end. The
door was scrounged from a demo job and the milk crates were $2.29
each from
a local dime store.

Two questions:

1) You paid for milk crates?
2) How do you hang Penteflex file folders in milk crates?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
After 50 years of "electronic manipulation", my dream setup would be a
walk-in, 12' diameter desk with a 6' "hole" in the center (for the most
comfortable posture-enhancing swivel chair on wheels that I could find).

Similar to my dream setup with one overriding criteria. That criteria would
be that when it was all closed up, it would look like a simple panelled
piece of furniture with absolutely no hint of the vast array of electronics
contained therein.

That would be pretty, but I'd rather have two adjacent rooms for
electronics - a rack room for "stable" electronics, and a lab for
circuit work to (as much as possible) keep the clutter out of the "think
space".

As long as I'm engaging in a fantasy, I suppose wastebaskets could be
connected up to a dust collector/trash compactor through a 2hp shredder
- which should be enough to handle the usual paper, PC boards, wire
ends, solder splats, cats,...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
For out right speed in completing the building task, it's tough to
beat a 36" wide solid core door for a desk top and a couple of 2 high
file drawers to rest it on.

Cheap and fast, if you buy the F/Ds from a used office furniture
outfit.

I had the door from a "couldn't resist" trip to the salvage freight
store one time ($10 for unused exterior oak slab w/ no penetrations) and
built furniture-looking pedestals. Used 3/4 ply instead of panels for
the sides, but has shaped solid base and (nice enough, anyway if
relatively simple) fronts so it does look like a piece of furniture (or
would, anyway, if I had ever finished the drawers and built another
narrow pedestal so both could face the front)...

Point I'd make is if you want a rolltop desk, I'd recommend building a
rolltop desk for a desk and use something else as a computer workstation
_unless_ the computer function is a sidelight not the focal point. I
think it's doubtful you'll be completely satisfied w/ the functionality
of the two together for either if it's to be a "real" workstation.

Then again, if there is essentially unlimited room to deepen and
lengthen, sure...

Or, if you want simply the appearance when closed, dispense w/ much of
the normal entrails (but what's the fun of a rolltop w/o all the
cubbyholes, etc.?) as they'll end up getting blocked and not being all
that useful anyway in a conventionally-sized desk.

Again, just some viewpoints/considerations, reject at will...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
For out right speed in completing the building task, it's tough to
beat a 36" wide solid core door for a desk top and a couple of 2 high
file drawers to rest it on.

Hah, got you beat speed wise and money wise there. My first unit was a
hollow core door with two stacked on their side milk crates each end. The
door was scrounged from a demo job and the milk crates were $2.29 each from
a local dime store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
As long as I'm engaging in a fantasy, I suppose wastebaskets could be
connected up to a dust collector/trash compactor through a 2hp shredder
- which should be enough to handle the usual paper, PC boards, wire
ends, solder splats, cats,...

Hey, this is fantasy right? Might as well go with the French maid in long
black stockings handling the trash.

Oh yeah - I just remembered how it happened that I never did get around
to building any of that...

....and you know, it /might/ be more fun to make in Paris.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Two questions:
1) You paid for milk crates?

Neighbours had a pair of viscious Dobermans protecting their milk crates. It
was either pay for milk crates or use concrete blocks from the demo job.
But, it did lead me to wonder how the milk man managed to make his
deliveries unscathed. Maybe he bribed the dogs with milk bones.

2) How do you hang Penteflex file folders in milk crates?

I wasn't worldly enough to know about Penteflex folders. Standard cardboard
folders for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Point I'd make is if you want a rolltop desk, I'd recommend building
a rolltop desk for a desk and use something else as a computer
workstation _unless_ the computer function is a sidelight not the
focal point. I think it's doubtful you'll be completely satisfied
w/ the functionality of the two together for either if it's to be a
"real" workstation.

Which is the basic reason I asked question with this thread.

A roll top desk would be, in the words of Norm, "a fun project", but
after it was done, would probably go "wanting" for a job to do in this
day and age.

Maybe a bit of immortality desire hidden in here someplace as in 2110,
someone would say, "Great grandpa built that desk over a hundred years
ago."

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

After 50 years of "electronic manipulation", my dream setup would be a
walk-in, 12' diameter desk with a 6' "hole" in the center (for the most
comfortable posture-enhancing swivel chair on wheels that I could find).

I have had similar fantasies. I may even end up building something like this
someday as I build and design systems for financial research/trading with
lots of monitors and workspace. I presently use eight monitors spread over
two tables. And lots of modules, shelves, electronics, etc.

Sooooo........, this isn't exactly a circular desk, but it can be arranged
in a circle. And it costs way too much.

http://www.biomorphdesk.com/1-888-30.../overview.html

As for the chair,,,,,,, I know there are some good chairs out there, but my
vote for the ultimate ergonomic wonder chair is the Verte'.

http://www.ergonomichome.com/ercoch.html

It has a back that is similar to your spine. And it adjusts so your spine
aligns properly. And it trains your spine to acheive proper alignment even
when away from the chair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

A roll top desk would be, in the words of Norm, "a fun project", but after
it was done, would probably go "wanting" for a job to do in this day and
age.

Maybe a bit of immortality desire hidden in here someplace as in 2110,
someone would say, "Great grandpa built that desk over a hundred years
ago."

I know. I alway admired rolltop desks. And in their day, they were a top of
the line workstation. When an inkpot and quill pen were in common use.

I always admired the big dictionary and dictionary stand at use in the
libraries I visited as a youth. I used to run into my jr high library to
look up words all the time. When I got older, I bought a big dictionary and
planned to build a stand for it. I never had the space and then this thing
called the internet came along.

Now if I need to look up a word, definition, etc, I just click onto
www.dictionary.com .

It is a lot faster and getting out that old, monster sized dictionary. And
if I should ever build a nice dictionary stand, for nostalgia's sake, it
would still get little use. The online version is much faster and more
convenient to use. Sice it most likely when I need to look up a word, I am
working on the computer anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a roll top desk and can't wait to get away from it.
The modern ones are junk. They are set up for a few things and a
computer and CD's. How about drawers - I have a few but most are tiny.

I have a flat screen monitor that fits within and isn't very hot. Monitor is hot.
Consider the depth for an arm reach screen to keep the eyes good. I have a TV
to the right and it is at another depth - eyes re-focus and keep the muscles
functional.

Make sure you want one before putting a lot of work into it. Can you replace
what you have or will it hold what you have.

Martin

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Maybe a bit of immortality desire hidden in here someplace as in 2110,
someone would say, "Great grandpa built that desk over a hundred years
ago."

You snipped the rest of the conversation...

"Yeah, Great Grandpa was a great woodworker. Too bad we never use it now
because wood is only found now in museums. Now, let's fly over to your place
and finish our Zombie Shootout homework programming we were assigned. You
can use the solar powered programming console and I'll use the mind
controlled interface module."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

I have a roll top desk and can't wait to get away from it.
The modern ones are junk.

I resemble that.G

I've been accused of building stuff like a brick out house, but never
junk.

Any desk I'd build would have to have at least a hanging file drawer
on one side with a drawer above.

But like others have pointed out, just can't see how a roll top desk
and current computer hardware are compatible.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:6pB3m.2277$9l4.1007
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Watched an old NTW rerun of Norm making a roll top desk

The construction is pretty straight forward, but still would require a
lot of man hours to build.

Piece looks good to my untrained eye, but it raises a question.

In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

Lew

The monitor is the biggest issue with a roll top. They tend to sit
higher than the roll top rolls, so with a monitor on the desk, it won't
close. If you accept a smaller monitor or a taller roll top, you might
be able to make use of a roll top as a computer station.

Maybe one could make the roll top part of the desk on the lowish side
and hang an LCD monitor on the wall above and in back of it; or else
place it artfully on top of the pigeonhole box. With some care in
design, this may not look too terrible. It would work out nicely for
tall persons, at least, where the usual monitor height on the desk
surface is annoyingly low.

Laptops are another option, but be forewarned that frequent opening and
closing can cause the hinges to wear out faster. Technology isn't
progressing as notably rapidly as it did in the old days, so old machines
tend to hang around longer.

Some laptop designs have much sturdier hinges than others. On my
(work-provided) Thinkpad, I suspect the interconnecting cable between
the halves would fail long before the hinges themselves, which appear to
be machined out of solid metal. Other bits on the machine are somewhat
more fiddly.

In my opinion, it makes little if any sense to get a laptop if the only
place you're going to use it is on a single desk. You pay a premium (in
money and in other limitations, like keyboard and screen size) for
portability that doesn't get used. With a laptop, I find the La-Z-Boy
or equivalent makes my favorite "desk."

Solve the monitor issue, and the functionality of the pigeon hole system
would still work. There's things like CDs and Flash Drives that ideal
for small storage holes.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Point I'd make is if you want a rolltop desk, I'd recommend building
a rolltop desk for a desk and use something else as a computer
workstation _unless_ the computer function is a sidelight not the
focal point. I think it's doubtful you'll be completely satisfied
w/ the functionality of the two together for either if it's to be a
"real" workstation.

Which is the basic reason I asked question with this thread.

A roll top desk would be, in the words of Norm, "a fun project", but
after it was done, would probably go "wanting" for a job to do in this
day and age.

Maybe a bit of immortality desire hidden in here someplace as in 2110,
someone would say, "Great grandpa built that desk over a hundred years
ago."

A quick search finds the expected numbers of links -- here's a link to a
compendium of some commercial attempts at solving the problem.

http://www.bizrate.com/desks/products__keyword--roll+top+desks.html

All have (imo) the problems I outlined above of restricted working space
and limited "neatness" of the features for which one admires the rolltop
design in the beginning. I've no really better ideas on how to modify
the idea to not end up w/ what I'd think would be a dissatisfying kludge
that one would probably regret having invested the time into when done.

If I had the room, I'd love a huge old rolltop--we have the old office
desk of wife's grandfather which isn't rolltop but does have lots of
cubbies in one of the pedestals and a (semi-)hidden side-panel area. It
takes up about the only available place and because of the connection,
can't be replaced. A cousin and her husband, both research
medical-professor types found an old barrister's double rolltop I covet
greatly...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 12:04*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and
such arrive regularly.

Second, I would suggest you Google "Computer Roll Top Desk" as sveral
firms have come up with designs to accomplish what you're wondering
about and perusing their ideas may answer your many questions.

I like the flexible screen idea myself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

======================================
Well, first off, there's plenty of paper left in my world - bills and
such arrive regularly.
======================================

Hardly have any monthly bills left that are not handled
electronically.

These include, utilities and bank cards.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 10:04*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Watched an old NTW rerun of Norm making a roll top desk

Piece looks good to my untrained eye, but it raises a question.

In this day and age of computers, how would you adapt what is
basically a paper handling operation into an electronic manipulation
station?

Data and power sockets would replace part of the pigeonholes, and
the flat screen would fold down onto the writing surface
before closing the dustcover/rolltop.

Among the 'data and power sockets' would be charging stations for
phone, PDA, etc., and at least one drawer would be fitted with
a lid, so the snarl of cables you keep there wouldn't keep it from
opening.

One old solution, that might be appealing, is the glass desktop with
the
monitor underneath.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
One old solution, that might be appealing, is the glass
desktop with the monitor underneath.

Maybe something even a little more exotic ~ a glass/plastic desktop with the
monitor attached to it in some fashion, that folds up on an angle for easier
viewing and folds back down flat when paper matters or writing is needed to
be done.

I think if it was my design, I'd make some type of simple roll top desk that
was higher and deeper than original roll top units. A LCD screen would sit
fine in the back of such a unit and it would still allow for all the cubby
holes and miscellaneous paraphenalia one would want that the original roll
top design incorporated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There seem to be plenty out the

* Measures 54"W x 28-1/2"D x 53-1/4"H overall.

* Monitor area measures 21-3/4"W x 16-1/2"D x 18-3/4"H.

* Beautiful rounded slat solid oak tambour door locks for security.

* Four slide out cubby drawers in top section with label holders.

* Three angled hinged door cubby drawers (one 10"W x 9-1/2"D x 1-1/2"H
and one 10"W x 10"D x 2"H).

* Desk top clearance under cubby drawers is 12".

* Solid wood pencil/supply organizer included for behind keyboard.

* Left dictation slide/mouse area measures 12-1/2"W x 13"D.

* Right dictation slide/mouse area measures 13-1/2"W x 12-3/4"D.

* Slide out keyboard drawer measures 22"W x 14"D x 2-1/2"H.

* Keyboard shelf is 27" from floor.

* Writing surface is 30" from floor.

* Leg area under keyboard drawer measures 22-3/4" wide x 25" high.

* Mail slot in both sides of rolltop.

* Locking CPU compartment with cable access and ventilation has slide-
out 3-cubby storage, 12-1/2" high vertical storage and optional
storage shelf.

* Ventilated CPU compartment has 9-1/2" wide x 17-1/2" high side door
for easy access to cables in rear of CPU.

* CPU compartment with roll-out shelf is 10-1/4"W x 25"D x 22"H
maximum and includes a removable shelf.

* Two box drawers with three interior dividers and locking letter/
legal hanging file - all on smooth rolling ball-bearing drawer
suspensions.

* Raised panel sides. Back is completely finished.

http://modernoffice.stores.yahoo.net...8 wpAodyU5QAg

And a list with pics and prices: http://www.bizrate.com/desks/product...top+desks.html

And another list: http://www.nextag.com/computer-roll-.../products-html

Here's a guy who makes them for a living:

Hand Made Custom Built Roll Top Desks
I have been creating roll top desks built "one at a time" since 1976.
These limited production roll top desks are custom tailored to the
client's needs and wishes. I am a one person shop and produce no more
than seven desks in solid walnut, cherry, oak, or mahogany per year.
I have conducted extensive research into the history and development
of the roll top desk over the past 30 years and applied all of the
features of the historical top line desks to the hand built ones I now
produce. A few of these traditional features include: extensive pigeon-
hole arrangements, hidden compartments, raised panel construction,
cabled tambours, swing arms, locking drawers.
More contemporary options include: computer adaptations, interior
lighting, ball bearing roller drawers, and phone/electrical outlets.
Pricing for the traditional or computer adapted Clark model starts at
$4,000.00 in a 60" wide, 51" high, and 35" deep version. The desks can
be crafted up to 6' 2" wide.
Please enter the site and browse the available styles, options,
pricing.
Start out by taking a look at the PHOTO GALLERY for examples of
previously built Roll Top Desks

http://www.rolltopdesk.com/

Here's an AMISH Desk w/pics

6" Dimensions:
30" D x 56" W x 51" H
Kneehole Height: 25 1/2"
Kneehole Width: 20"
Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4"
Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/4" Wide

62" Dimensions:
30" D x 62" W x 51" H
Kneehole Height: 25 1/2"
Kneehole Width: 26"
Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4"
Center Cubby Width at Top: 18 1/2" Wide

68" Dimensions:
30" D x 68" W x 51" H
Kneehole Height: 25 1/2"
Kneehole Width: 27"
Height Inside Desk at Middle: 17 3/4"
Center Cubby Width at Top: 24" Wide

Wood:
Oak (Standard)
Cherry
Walnut
Hard Maple
Quarter Sawn White Oak
Hickory
Rustic Hickory

Drawer Slides:
Full Extension with 100 Pound Weight Capacity

Standard Features:
Cooling Fan in Pedestal
Plain Back
Raised Panel Sides
Lock Standard on Tamber but Not Drawers
Dovetailed Drawers
Cord Grommets
Full Extension Drawer Slides

Optional Features:
Raised Panel Back
Locks on File Drawers
Drawers on Top - Adds 4" to Height

http://www.dutchcrafters.com/product...intprodid=3356

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

There seem to be plenty out the

snip all the research

There certainly does, so maybe there is hope.

Thank you for the effort.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, once you've decided it is worth your trouble:

How about making the monitor that folds up. That is, you attach the
monitor to a solid board, which makes up the worksurface when the
monitor is folded down. The board is attached to two spring loaded
hinges, and some air resistors (important!), and when you use the
monitor, it folds up (and can end up being taller than the roll-up
top)

Then, the front middle drawer would be nothing but a false front,
which folds out of the way when you are using the computer. A height
adjustable keyboard tray, and fold out mouse tray would be in there.

The CPU would be hidden in the drawer sides (make sure there's enough
ventilation, so it doesn't overheat). The other side drawers should
have a pull out scanner, and potentially a pull out printer...

Man, that would be one unique, and nice piece of furniture! (This is
me wishing I had more time...)

John

Dassault.Systemes.P3.CATIA.V5R17, GibbsCAM.2006.v8.0.17, Copra Roll Forming v2007, Ubeco Profil Roll Form v4.3, Mazak CPC, FANUC Robotics Simulation, Lantek, AMADA, other ... kashumoto_tokugawa UK diy 1 November 10th 06 07:18 PM
Building the roll part of a roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 24th 06 02:26 PM
Refinishing roll part of roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 June 2nd 06 02:31 PM
On a roll Weatherlawyer UK diy 14 April 25th 06 01:26 AM
ROLL TOP DESK J T Woodworking 1 January 18th 06 06:33 PM