Posted to rec.woodworking

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

FrozenNorth wrote in news:iKb2m.234350
:

Andrew Barss wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
: dusty wrote:
: This is what you get with AT&T high speed $19.95 high speed service
: Latest from www.Speedtest .net
: Ping: 108 ms
: Download 0.19 Mb/s
: Upload 0.32 Mb/s

: If your upload is faster than your download something is wrong.

Those measured speeds are strange.

Try another speed test, like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If that doesn't work, you need a line quality check.
Those numbers are just wrong.

Here it is
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
download 191 kbps
upload 320 kbps

I've had a whole bunch of line quality checks and all they
can say is i'm to far from the node
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
: dusty wrote:
: This is what you get with AT&T high speed $19.95 high speed service
: Latest from www.Speedtest .net
: Ping: 108 ms
: Download 0.19 Mb/s
: Upload 0.32 Mb/s

: If your upload is faster than your download something is wrong.

Those measured speeds are strange.

Try another speed test, like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If that doesn't work, you need a line quality check.
Those numbers are just wrong.

Here it is
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
download 191 kbps
upload 320 kbps

I've had a whole bunch of line quality checks and all they
can say is i'm to far from the node

I meant actually call somebody out to you house and check it, if those
are the best you can get, they shouldn't have sold you the service.

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dusty" wrote in message
FrozenNorth wrote in news:iKb2m.234350
:
Here it is
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
download 191 kbps
upload 320 kbps

I've had a whole bunch of line quality checks and all they
can say is i'm to far from the node

I am no expert however I would think that too far from the node would also
affect up load speed. IIRC 320 upload is not that bad. I had a similar
problem about 8-9 years ago, it turned out that the line had a bad shield
"at the telephone office". They had to isolate the line and run me through
a new one. That took about 10 days.
A side from that it used to be that you could be no more than 2 miles from
the telephone office to receive DSL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
: dusty wrote:
: This is what you get with AT&T high speed $19.95 high speed service
: Latest from www.Speedtest .net
: Ping: 108 ms
: Download 0.19 Mb/s
: Upload 0.32 Mb/s

: If your upload is faster than your download something is wrong.

Those measured speeds are strange.

Try another speed test, like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If that doesn't work, you need a line quality check.
Those numbers are just wrong.

Here it is
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
download 191 kbps
upload 320 kbps

I've had a whole bunch of line quality checks and all they
can say is i'm to far from the node

I meant actually call somebody out to you house and check it, if those
are the best you can get, they shouldn't have sold you the service.

Agreed. I've got Fast Access Lite for $19.95 at close to 17,000 feet
from the DSlam, yet it is much faster than dialup. You can complain to
AT&T about your slow speed, and if they can not speed it up, you may
be disqualified from AT&T DSL. My neighbor was disqualified so I'm
lucky to have it for the price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"True DSL" still carries that rule....

Most DSL in homes today is not 100% DSL but a
fancy combo of hardware and software.

ADSL is what most home owners really have...

True DSL is what "was" called dedicated lease line
or full duplex service.

Very few folks are willing to pay for that.

The telephone folks needed a new thing to sell
and along came DSL.

http://www.nexusnet.com.au/knowledge/dsl.htm