Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

"FreeTheBirthCert" wrote:
Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
vendors.

cite?

Comcast pulled their usenet (via giganews) feed last year, aohell did it a
few years ago, same with time/warner and the others.

I wish they would at least maintain some access to text groups, that
wouldn't take much outlay.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
"FreeTheBirthCert" wrote:
Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to
continue reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through
third-party vendors.

cite?

Comcast pulled their usenet (via giganews) feed last year, aohell did
it a few years ago, same with time/warner and the others.

I wish they would at least maintain some access to text groups, that
wouldn't take much outlay.

There you are. We have Comcast cable but our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink
contracts out newsgroup access to Giganews.

If you have Comcast as you ISP, switch to Earthlink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"FreeTheBirthCert" wrote:
Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
offering access to the Usenet Netnews service. If you wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
vendors.

cite?

Comcast pulled their usenet (via giganews) feed last year, aohell did it a
few years ago, same with time/warner and the others.

I wish they would at least maintain some access to text groups, that
wouldn't take much outlay.

http://www.teranews.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.motzarella.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

Yep, that and "piracy". TBH, I've always wondered why usenet servers
aren't held responsible for content.

It's called the "safe harbor" provision.

What it adds up to is that so long as they comply with all proper DMCA
take down notices, they are held harmless for the content of usenet.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

Master Tang wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
(snip)

Usenet and a long-time mail address were about the only reasons I kept my
ATT account active. I have several other mail accounts, and get my DSL
connection from a 3rd-party provider anyway, since ATT does not serve this
neighborhood with anything but crappy dialup. All in all, other than I
can't remember all the places I have passed out this address as how to get
hold of me, not much reason for me to stick with ATT. And since even the
'bring your own' account still costs six bucks a month, well, that six
bucks could go toward a giganews account.

--
aem sends...

I keep ATT because it's the cheapest ISP. I pay about $14 + change/mth. I
really don't care much about Usenet. You can always find a free Usenet
servers. It really isn't that big of a deal.

The ISP portion of ATT is worthless, IMHO. (Who needs their silly-ass
home page with all the toys?) I would also like to get the $14.95 DSL
from them, versus the $42 3rd party DSL I do have, but ATT doesn't offer
that in my neighborhood. If I could do that, I'd definitely keep them.
But since I can't, once Usenet goes away, the only service I will be
getting from them is mail. I have other mail accounts, including from my
DSL provider (who also does not provide Usenet. So that six bucks a
month I pay to ATT will be looking kind of pointless.

What is an actual free (non crippled, not banner-ad-carrying) free
usenet service?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Master Tang wrote:
[...]

If "non crippled" means full access to binary newsgroups then I don't
believe anyone offers that. Motzarella does have free NNTP access to
text groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

Get yourself your own domain for about $8 a year. Then you can have an
email address that never changes regardless of how many times you
change ISP, and it can be something relevant to YOU.

http://www.godaddy.com

Read the fine print. Don't know about godaddy, but some retain
ownership of the domain and/or require you to register your domain under
their name. Either way, they can make it VERY hard to move YOUR domain
off of their servers.

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Sivori wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

Yep, that and "piracy". TBH, I've always wondered why usenet servers
aren't held responsible for content.

It's called the "safe harbor" provision.

What it adds up to is that so long as they comply with all proper DMCA
take down notices, they are held harmless for the content of usenet.

In general, you can't "take down" a usenet posting; it's propagated to the
whole world and exists on tens of thousands of servers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony Sivori wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Yep, that and "piracy". TBH, I've always wondered why usenet servers
aren't held responsible for content.

It's called the "safe harbor" provision.

What it adds up to is that so long as they comply with all proper DMCA
take down notices, they are held harmless for the content of usenet.

In general, you can't "take down" a usenet posting; it's propagated to the
whole world and exists on tens of thousands of servers.

NNTP is designed so that changes also propagate. If your server is
authoritative you can delete a post just as you can add a post and have
it appear or be removed from all other servers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Master Tang wrote:
[...]

Do a Google of "free Usenet" or something like that. There are several.

I'm tired of Usenet so I doubt I'll even bother.

I'm not sure what banners and stuff you're talking about with att. I just
use IE or Chrome, set it up, and hit the internet. It's not the fastest but
for $15 bucks I don't care.

$6.00? You must still be paying for WorldNet? If you have ATT DSL you don't
have to pay the $6.00 (but I did have to tell them they were double charging
me :-?). Too bad you don't have it in your neighborhood.

Good Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:
...snipped...
NNTP is designed so that changes also propagate. If your server is
authoritative you can delete a post just as you can add a post and have
it appear or be removed from all other servers.

In practice there is no requirement that a usenet server respond to a
deletion request, and in fact many or most of them do not.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Master Tang wrote:
[...]

Try here. This is posted from freenews.netfront.net

Even set it's self up in OE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Tang" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]