Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shallow Template Bit for Router

I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern
onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut all
the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some
wood for an inlay. Regular flush-cut bits are simply to deep to do
this. (also, I want an exact copy of the pattern -- not something
that is 1/4" smaller than the pattern, etc). I would not have
pictured this as being that exotic a practice, so I'm perplexed as to
why I can't find this bit anywhere

Has anyone seen anything like this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote:
I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is
on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern
onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut
all
the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some
wood for an inlay.

Use existing pattern to make a duplicate from 3/4" MDF, then use the
new 3/4" MDF pattern with a standard 1" long pattern bit to copy 1/4"
deep cut in plywood..

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern
onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut all
the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some
wood for an inlay. Regular flush-cut bits are simply to deep to do
this. (also, I want an exact copy of the pattern -- not something
that is 1/4" smaller than the pattern, etc). I would not have
pictured this as being that exotic a practice, so I'm perplexed as to
why I can't find this bit anywhere

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I think one of these might do:

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1030

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1

Sorry, I read that as diameter, not depth, but these may help you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow! Good find.

I was going to suggest just using a bushing setup and over or
undersizing the pattern depending if it is an inside or outside
pattern. Seems bushings have fallen somewhat out of common use no?

On Jun 24, 2:23*pm, Woody wrote:
John wrote:
I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern
onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut all
the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some
wood for an inlay. *Regular flush-cut bits are simply to deep to do
this. *(also, I want an exact copy of the pattern -- not something
that is 1/4" smaller than the pattern, etc). *I would not have
pictured this as being that exotic a practice, so I'm perplexed as to
why I can't find this bit anywhere

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I think one of these might do:

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1030

~Mark.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

Take a 1/2" diameter 1/2" depth hinge mortising bit

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1

and add a 1/2" bearing

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46180&ap=1

and lock ring:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46180&ap=1

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another option would be to add a spacer under your MDF pattern
to raise it up so you can use your existing bit.
Art

"John" wrote in message
I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit

I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on
the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep

I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern
onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut all
the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some
wood for an inlay. Regular flush-cut bits are simply to deep to do
this. (also, I want an exact copy of the pattern -- not something
that is 1/4" smaller than the pattern, etc). I would not have
pictured this as being that exotic a practice, so I'm perplexed as to
why I can't find this bit anywhere

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I have such an animal, for exactly that purpose - it's either an Amana or a
Whiteside bit, and I can't remember right now which one, but I'm pretty sure
it's Amana. The bit depth is 1/4", I think. You ought to be able to find it
on their web site - I did.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:37:44 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

Has anyone seen anything like this?

http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=66
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/bt_dado.html
http://www.acetoolonline.com/category-s/4608.htm

etc.

In 1/4" shank sizes, the cutting length is a short as 1/8". Perhaps
one of those would work for you.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the responses. I was looking for this bit because
bushings require a special template, and raising the pattern is a
pain, and error prone in my experience. The bits suggested by Tom and
Woody (there's a joke in there somewhere...) are exactly what I'm
looking for. Thanks again.

John