fizznotch

Default following a template with a router table

I want to be able to trim an item in half inch ply to an exact fit to a
template.
Ideally i'd use a straight bit with a bearing at the non-shank end, but
the only ones that seem to be available are for trimming laminate.

any advice would be appreciated

Cutters available for templet routing have:
1) Bearings on the distal end
2) Bearings on the shank
3) Bearings on the end and shank.
A reasonable set of serious shank bearing bits at the:
http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.com link.

fizznotch wrote:
I want to be able to trim an item in half inch ply to an exact fit to a
template.
Ideally i'd use a straight bit with a bearing at the non-shank end, but
the only ones that seem to be available are for trimming laminate.

any advice would be appreciated

fizznotch

The pat warner reference appears to show only bits with bearings on the
shank end and unfortunately the leevalley catalog is out of stock on
the double ended one (that sounds just perfect). Any other sources
would be welcome.

The corrected link is http://www.patwarner.com/patternbits.html (not
..com) .....oops! :-)

Bob

Well, they may say laminate but I use them for plywood and mdf without
any hitches. One of my favorites is an oldham viper bit I picked up at
a show. It cuts especially cleanly because of the triple flutes and
1/2" shank. I have the one with 1 1/4" length flutes.

http://www.oldham-usa.com/DBScripts/...eFlushTrim.asp

Bob

Earl Creel

Whiteside offers a catalogue page full of flush trim bits. You can find
them at http://www.routerbits.com/ or at many other suppliers.
Earl Creel

"fizznotch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to be able to trim an item in half inch ply to an exact fit to a
template.
Ideally i'd use a straight bit with a bearing at the non-shank end, but
the only ones that seem to be available are for trimming laminate.

any advice would be appreciated

Robatoy

In article . com,
"fizznotch" wrote:

I want to be able to trim an item in half inch ply to an exact fit to a
template.
Ideally i'd use a straight bit with a bearing at the non-shank end, but
the only ones that seem to be available are for trimming laminate.

any advice would be appreciated

I'm a loyal bushing/bit user. I use pattern bits too, but the
versatility of a box of bushings and a handful of straight bits gets me
where I want to be most of the time... and I can plunge.
Trying to find a base-plate with a hole centre-aligned to the bit,
forced me to make my own.

I'm sure Pat Warner has some nifty solutions.

I sure am starting to really like those Milwaukee 5616 routers.... to
the point that I have lost my appetite for that Festool router.

Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
Router table - Bench dog or Rockler? toby Woodworking 7 November 20th 04 04:27 PM
Help with router table Highspeed Woodworking 3 October 18th 04 06:08 AM
Router table Alexander Galkin Woodworking 2 November 13th 03 01:18 PM