Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question To The Group - Wood Turners Migrating Here?

The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

I always figured this group was more of a generic woodworkign group whereas
others (such as r.c.woodturning) were more specific subject specific groups.

My personal feeling is if it's working in wood, it's woodworking and welcome
here.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/user/autodrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking
rjd rjd is offline

On Jun 11, 11:30*am, charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

I go to the woodturning site and it is disapointing to see the drop
off in posts. If they can't easily post there I hope they can start
posting again here. bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

I'm good with it.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

They must certainly adhere to the current standards of classiness and
decorum of this fine forum. No name calling, political demagoguery, and
general bitchiness. Any friend of Turner's is a friend of mine.
yours in hopeful bipartisanship,
jo4hn

p.s. there is no cabal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

I'm good with it.

Uh, when there's already a group for woodturning, why migrate?

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

No way! I hate Turners!

Oh wait; that's my last name... Never mind. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm all for bringing them in. I do some turning but I certainly don't
consider myself to be a turner. However, I have spent some time
lurking in the rec.crafts.woodcarving group. There are some great
resources over there. You don't have to be a turner to get a lot of
practical use and enjoyment from sites like Darrell Felmate's.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

It's wood working ain't it? I never quite understood why there were two
separate groups. I think about half of us turn any way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 8:48*pm, "Leon" wrote:

It's wood working ain't it? *I never quite understood why there were two
separate groups. *I think about half of us turn any way.

That's 'cause they wanted to get away from all the silly political
discussions on the wreck & focus on wooddorking, or, more
specifically, turning in their case.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

They must certainly adhere to the current standards of classiness and
decorum of this fine forum. No name calling, political demagoguery,
and general bitchiness. Any friend of Turner's is a friend of mine.
yours in hopeful bipartisanship,

Long as he leaves Hanoi Jane home . . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:40:07 -0400, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I always figured this group was more of a generic woodworkign group
whereas others (such as r.c.woodturning) were more specific subject
specific groups.

My personal feeling is if it's working in wood, it's woodworking and
welcome here.

Agreed. Seems like a lot of us here do both anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

Fine by me. I do more than woodturning and read both groups, so would
just make it more convenient for me. I sure hope folks stick around.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb writes:

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

Why not crosspost?

That that read the turning newsgroup will see it in the proper place,
and those of the wreck who do not can filter it out?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 11:30*am, charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

seems to me it's all sawdust. Besides, my fathers a turner. Maybe I
can get him to start trolling!

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

Sounds good to me.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 9:58*pm, Tanus wrote:
charlieb wrote:
The usenet newsgroup rec.cafts.woodturning apparently is being
dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to
this group, it looks like The Wreck is still alive and kicking.

So - how does this group feel about turners migrating to The
Wreck - putting "Turning" as the first word in the subject line
of posts here?

charlie b

Sounds good to me.

Tanus

How have you been? Coming this way at any time this summer?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
snip
Sounds good to me.

Tanus

How have you been? Coming this way at any time this summer?

I've been good thanks Rob. I was down to visit my Mom last week, and
expect to be down a few more times during the summer. I saw ads for
Bayfest this year when I was in Sarnia, and will likely try to dovetail
a viist with the festival (note the terminology to keep it wood related)

How've you been?

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 11:26*am, Tanus wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

snip

Sounds good to me.

Tanus

How have you been? Coming this way at any time this summer?

I've been good thanks Rob. I was down to visit my Mom last week, and
expect to be down a few more times during the summer. I saw ads for
Bayfest this year when I was in Sarnia, and will likely try to dovetail
a viist with the festival (note the terminology to keep it wood related)

We buried Jim Stokely this past week. He was the founder and organizer
of Bayfest, restauranteur (Stokes by the Bay, Stokes Inland, Industry
Theater) He was 50. A long family history of heart disease. Dead
before he hit the ground. He was fit as a fiddle, in great shape. Non-
smoker, casual drinker- the odd glass of beer or wine- and never
appeared too stressed about the immense task of running Bayfest. He
had/has an excellent staff.
Only people really close to him knew he had donated $ 400,000 to local
charities from past Bayfest profits. No photo-ops, no plaques, no
appearances.
FIFTY, for chrissakes...
Bayfest will live on, as his wife Michelle was as much involved in the
running of it as Jim was.
The community is still reeling, as I am.

How've you been?

Busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger or a one-legged man at an ass-
kicking contest. The HomeShow really made a difference. Fortunately,
along the bread-and-butter countertop business, people are also buying
interesting stuff like carved fire-place mantels, signs, etc. I am
very happy doing that kinda one-off crazy stuff.
When you roll into town, my phone number is on my web-page www.topworks.ca.
I'll buy you an Erdinger (or two) at Paddy's.

Rob