Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Ryobi belt sander repair

I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking Ignoramus20538 wrote:
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

you forgot to plug it in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: you forgot to plug it in.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After you plug it in, if it still does not run, try nudging the rotor
slightly. That may seat the brushes or dislodge some dirt particles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-27, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: you forgot to plug it in.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After you plug it in, if it still does not run, try nudging the rotor
slightly. That may seat the brushes or dislodge some dirt particles.

OK, that sounds like a plan.

Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a
multimeter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
OK, that sounds like a plan.

Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a
multimeter.

If it was working when it was put on the shelf, then I'd start with the
switch and then the brushes. It's possible that accumulated dust has worked
its way into the switch or perhaps the brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Ignoramus20538" wrote:

OK, that sounds like a plan.

Otherwise I will take it apart and will go through it with a
multimeter.

Spend some time with a blow gun first.

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

20538.invalid wrote:
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

I would start with the switch. I have a Ryobi (Craftsman) belt sander
that wore the switch out just last week. It's a German switch that
doesn't have very good dust protection so I'll be sealing it up better
with some Shoe Goo. The switch literally burned one of the contacts
due to dust buildup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-28, LD wrote:
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-28, LD wrote:
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

"tricks" like plugging it in?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: "tricks" like plugging it in?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another "trick:" paying the electric bill. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-28, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: "tricks" like plugging it in?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another "trick:" paying the electric bill. ;-)

Pressing the ON button also helps...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-28, LD wrote:
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have
TV sets in the 60s?
/m
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

news
On 2009-05-28, LD wrote:
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have
TV sets in the 60s?
/m

"SMACK!"
"Try the other side."
"SMACK!"
"That fixed it, but it's a bit fuzzy. Try the tinfoil on the rabbit ears."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 00:43:20 GMT, "LD"
wrote:

news
On 2009-05-28, LD wrote:
"Ignoramus20538" wrote in message
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

Smack it on something first. Then try the other stuff.

I own one. Every now and then it needs a smack.

Yep, "smacking" and several related tricks "did it". Thanks to all.

PM - Percussive Maintenance. Jeez, guys, did you never have
TV sets in the 60s?
/m

"SMACK!"
"Try the other side."
"SMACK!"
"That fixed it, but it's a bit fuzzy. Try the tinfoil on the rabbit ears."

In 1983, my landlady didn't have cable TV, and in order to watch "The
Thorn Birds" I sat and held an aluminum baking sheet at the critical
angle to provide clear reception.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

20538.invalid wrote:
I have a Ryobi belt sander that I used a lot, then it spent a couple
of years on a shelf. Now it does not run at all, nothing happens with
I press the switch.

My question is what is the most likely culprit in that sander? Brushes
maybe?

More likely the power cord. They usually break just where they enter
the appliance - sometimes at the plug if you pulled it out by the
cord.

Otherwise it could be a number of things and a meter is your friend.