Posted to rec.woodworking

Default handsaw storage - decent tip

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
Leon wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the
teeth.

Chris

Gosh I hope not! Wouldn't that be the same action as ummm sawing a piece of
wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the
teeth.

Gosh I hope not! Wouldn't that be the same action as ummm sawing a piece of
wood?

Nope. As you pull the saw down, the dowel will roll and pinch the saw
teeth sideways.

When sawing, you don't have the sideways pinching.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the
teeth.

Gosh I hope not! Wouldn't that be the same action as ummm sawing a piece
of
wood?

Nope. As you pull the saw down, the dowel will roll and pinch the saw
teeth sideways.

When sawing, you don't have the sideways pinching.

So you have never ever had a saw be pinched by a board? Very interesting to
hear that has not happened to every one. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 12:50 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.

The dowel is wood, isn't it? And while the teeth are designed to cut
on the pull stroke (on Western saws at least), as you know from
starting a cut, they'll also cut on the pull stroke. It's really not
a concern that the dowel will damage the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.

The dowel is wood, isn't it? And while the teeth are designed to cut
on the pull stroke (on Western saws at least), as you know from
starting a cut, they'll also cut on the pull stroke. It's really not
a concern that the dowel will damage the saw.

As I mentioned in my reply to Leon, if you pull down on the saw the
dowel will roll and pinch the saw blade tighter. This would be like
squeezing the teeth sideways in a wooden vise.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2009 12:33 PM Chris Friesen spake thus:

Leon wrote:

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.

The dowel is wood, isn't it? And while the teeth are designed to cut
on the pull stroke (on Western saws at least), as you know from
starting a cut, they'll also cut on the pull stroke. It's really not
a concern that the dowel will damage the saw.

As I mentioned in my reply to Leon, if you pull down on the saw the
dowel will roll and pinch the saw blade tighter. This would be like
squeezing the teeth sideways in a wooden vise.

As others have expressed, I wouldn't sweat it, given the relative
hardness difference betwixt a tool-steel saw and a hardwood dowel.
Besides, you're going to learn to pull up, not down, on the saw to
remove it.

Reminds me of the rather prissy advice not to store planes blade-down on
a wooden shelf. As someone else pointed out, planes spend their working
lives ... cutting face-down on wood. Parking one on a wood shelf isn't
going to damage it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.

The dowel is wood, isn't it? And while the teeth are designed to cut
on the pull stroke (on Western saws at least), as you know from
starting a cut, they'll also cut on the pull stroke. It's really not
a concern that the dowel will damage the saw.

As I mentioned in my reply to Leon, if you pull down on the saw the
dowel will roll and pinch the saw blade tighter. This would be like
squeezing the teeth sideways in a wooden vise.

Surprised nobody's hit on the obvious solution to this problem: cut a
rebate into the dowels at the back end so they won't pinch the teeth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 3:33*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

As I mentioned in my reply to Leon, if you pull down on the saw the
dowel will roll and pinch the saw blade tighter. *This would be like
squeezing the teeth sideways in a wooden vise.

Which would have the exact effect of impressing the tooth pattern on
the wood. Try it. Post a picture.

As Sancho Panza said, "Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the
pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be bad for the pitcher." He was
talking about his wife.

There's also that thing called a learning curve. If you pull down on
the saw it will make it difficult to remove the saw. The steeper your
learning curve, the sooner you will learn to not pull down on the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd use Masonite on the back for teeth - if it cut to much
I'd put a rubber sheet. It might be springy enough to not cut.

I think it was a dangerous way myself. Saw is in the wrong position
when gripping and forehead is a target.

Martin

Leon wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

I would put a lip on the diagonal side of the slot. Otherwise I would
probably drag the dowel out and lose it every time I took out a saw.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I xeroxed a mirror, now I have an
extra copier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

I would put a lip on the diagonal side of the slot. Otherwise I would
probably drag the dowel out and lose it every time I took out a saw.

OOPS! Didn't look twice before I chimed in.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I xeroxed a mirror, now I have an
extra copier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 May 2009 04:18:12 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

hmmmm... obviously designed before rare earth magnets were popular... lol

I keep saws flat against a wall with magnets.. up high with handle down works
for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2009 7:08 AM mac davis spake thus:

wrote:

Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out
and reaching for a different tool...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws/

hmmmm... obviously designed before rare earth magnets were popular... lol

I keep saws flat against a wall with magnets.. up high with handle down works
for me..

I think this solution is more elegant, plus you can store more saws in
the same space.

Recommendations on handsaw for dovetails? DGDevin Woodworking 14 April 20th 08 08:14 PM
Old Handsaw can't figure out what this part is. [email protected] Woodworking 9 October 9th 07 08:36 PM
handsaw recutting in UK graham Woodworking 0 March 8th 06 07:26 PM
handsaw recutting in UK graham Woodworking 3 February 28th 06 02:43 PM
replacement Disston handsaw nuts? grose Woodworking 4 September 2nd 04 08:55 PM