Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Handsaw can't figure out what this part is.

On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever

have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

If it has a hole thru it, a handle mount.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 11:13 pm, "
wrote:
On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

You're probably referring to the "nib", the purpose of which is often
debated. Some think it was for starting the cut. Some think it was a
sample tooth, to shape the working teeth to when sharpening. Some
think it was a warning that indicated your saw was almost ready to
pull out of the cut. Some say it was a marker to scratch a cut line.
Some say it was purely decorative. Probably some other guesses that
I've forgotten. Take your pick.

John Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 5, 11:13 pm, "
wrote:
On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

You're probably referring to the "nib", the purpose of which is often
debated. Some think it was for starting the cut. Some think it was a
sample tooth, to shape the working teeth to when sharpening. Some
think it was a warning that indicated your saw was almost ready to
pull out of the cut. Some say it was a marker to scratch a cut line.
Some say it was purely decorative. Probably some other guesses that
I've forgotten. Take your pick.

John Martin

It's probably a splitter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Some time ago there was a long thread on this. Some one even contacted

Diston and asked them. There was no concensus. You might search the
archives.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.woodworking

news

wrote:
On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

You're probably referring to the "nib", the purpose of which is often
debated. Some think it was for starting the cut. Some think it was a
sample tooth, to shape the working teeth to when sharpening. Some
think it was a warning that indicated your saw was almost ready to
pull out of the cut. Some say it was a marker to scratch a cut line.
Some say it was purely decorative. Probably some other guesses that
I've forgotten. Take your pick.

John Martin

It's probably a splitter.

Sounds more like a riving knife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 2:57 am, John Martin wrote:

You're probably referring to the "nib", the purpose of which is often
debated. Some think it was for starting the cut. Some think it was a
sample tooth, to shape the working teeth to when sharpening. Some
think it was a warning that indicated your saw was almost ready to
pull out of the cut. Some say it was a marker to scratch a cut line.
Some say it was purely decorative. Probably some other guesses that
I've forgotten. Take your pick.

John Martin

The OldTools Archive has a thread in which someone puts forth the
theory I like best - that it was a little nubbie for one of the
strings of a blade protector. The front string goes over the nib and
the back one goes over or through the handle.
http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle...ubmit_thread=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:13:55 -0700, "
wrote:

On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

That's a subject that will be debated until the sun runs out of fuel.
Here are a couple of references that indicate the nib is a
traditional, vestigial decoration that dates back to the late 1600's.
Believe them or not, your choice.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/glossary.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=T4m...CEx9EMGiF9LXkb

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On some of my old saws (really old ones). On the top about 6 inches
back from the tip there is a small piece about the thickness of a
nickle that sticks up does this part have a name, and did it ever have
a function. You don't see it on saws made these days.

Marty

That's a subject that will be debated until the sun runs out of fuel.
Here are a couple of references that indicate the nib is a
traditional, vestigial decoration that dates back to the late 1600's.
Believe them or not, your choice.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/glossary.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=T4m...lpg=PA169&dq=h...

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Its called a kewpie point. It was to initiate a cut so the saws teeth
did not splinter the wood on the edge. My grandfather worked in a saw
factory that made them when he was a kid. It was originally the Union
Saw and |Tool company and was later bought out by Frackville Saw. Time
frame was 1908-1915 or so, and he was hired to clean up and help the
fella that cut and carved the saws applewood handles. He installed
handles on saws as well.for the sum of 50 cents a week..He had been a
carpenter all his life so I sort of take him at his word what it wa
for. I have also seen some folks use it to cut or nick through an
embedded nail........which it is more than capable of doing. However
ontodays saws where only the teeth are hardened, those kewpie points
woud not hold up. Anyone looking for original old time hand carved
apple wood saw handles complete with brass fasteners. (5 per
handle)........I have em by the bucket fulls...................Brass T
stub fasteners are embossed Frackville Saw Co, and a few are listed as
Union Tool and Level or something along those lines.