Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question antique bench drill

Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 10, 9:51*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I
inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main
element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had
the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of
combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a
single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different
tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would
like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental
reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any
idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been
rigged. Thanks much.http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/3520129877/

I think that your drill press would have been setup similar to the
Deltashop (shown near bottom of page):
http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/ch...evelopment.htm
Old advertisement:
http://www.kitschy-kitschy-coo.com/u...men-738841.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

My father-in law had a similar machine in his garage that he used on a
regular basis. The frame on his was a little more ornate but still
similar. I also suspect that your original had a leather belt drive
to a motor; or a central belt drive system that some of the old
furniture shops used to have. The father-in-law had it set up with a
couple of V-Belts and a motor and it worked just fine for him.

I wish we had kept it. I would like to have it in my shop just for a
conversation piece.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks much for the good inputs.

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 11, 5:17*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Thanks much for the good inputs.

Jerry

http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/ma...l_catalogs.htm

jerry, thanks for asking the question. the link above leads to tate's
1931 "how to get the most out of you drill press", where you'll see
him operate your drill press. there may be some info in the pdf
booklet that you can use, if you are interested in restoring your
drill press.

best wishes

ray mcinnis
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/ma...l_catalogs.htm

jerry, thanks for asking the question. the link above leads to tate's
1931 "how to get the most out of you drill press", where you'll see
him operate your drill press. there may be some info in the pdf
booklet that you can use, if you are interested in restoring your
drill press.

best wishes
ray mcinnis

That's a good one. Much appreciated, Ray.