Cyberosity!

Default Sears Portalign Tool?

Can anyone out there sell me a Sears Portalign Tool. The company that made them was out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now.
The Portalign tool is a prcision drill alignment tool for 3/8" drills.

Thanks in advance

Doug Miller

In article , "Cyberosity!" wrote:

Can anyone out there sell me a Sears Portalign Tool.

Friends don't let friends buy Portaligns.

The company that
made them was out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now.

There's a good reason for that...

The Portalign tool is a prcision drill alignment tool for 3/8" drills.

I suppose it might be, if you have a *really* creative understanding of
"precision".

I bought one about 25 years ago because I got taken in by the same "precision
alignment" advertising hype. It's a piece of crap. You're *way* better off
buying a cheap drill press.

GTO69RA4

Can anyone out there sell me a Sears Portalign Tool. The company that =
made them was out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now.
The Portalign tool is a prcision drill alignment tool for 3/8" drills.

Thanks in advance

Get it off eBay. They're worthless and tons of them are for sale by folks. What
are you planning on doing with it? I've found that it's useful for drilling
holes outside, like on a contruction project or something, but if you don't
need to be able to carry it with one hand just get a cheap drill press.

GTO(John)
John Crea

Go to HD and buy the General Tools version for around $39

John

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:13:08 -0700, "Cyberosity!"
wrote:

Can anyone out there sell me a Sears Portalign Tool. The company that made them was out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now.
The Portalign tool is a prcision drill alignment tool for 3/8" drills.

Thanks in advance

Jay

I've never used the portalign, but the $27 crafstman drill guide
(Sears item #00967173000
)they are selling isn't too bad. I have one and like it pretty well.
Here are my caveats:

1. Expect some profanity to eminate from your mouth while setting it
up
2. Don't trust the angle guide. Use layout tools to determine your
angles
3. You may want to replace the included depth stop with something a
bit sturdier (Although I use the stock one)
4. You can't use the springs and the depth stop together. This is
pretty annoying.
5. No keyless chuck

Other than that it works pretty well. Comes in handy over a drill
press when working with sheet goods. I'd also recommend dedicating a
drill to the guide rather than switching out.

Jay
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Jay, Pradipta Shome wrote:
Can someone explain how to affix the drill to the Portalign tool. Thanks much
Pradipta

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ol-210083-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-7, Pradipta Shome wrote:
replying to Jay, Pradipta Shome wrote:
Can someone explain how to affix the drill to the Portalign tool.

Most hand drills have 3/8"-24tpi threaded shank, and the three-jaw chuck
is threaded on. Open the chuck jaws fully, and reach down with a screwdriver,
and remove the retaining screw (usually LEFT HAND THREAD and Philips #2 fits)
then the chuck (RIGHT HAND thread) can be unscrewed. If it doesn't unthread easily, chuck up a hex
key and strike with mallet to break the threads loose.

The Portalign shaft screws on in place of the chuck, and the other end of the shaft
takes the three-jaw chuck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pradipta Shome wrote:

replying to Jay, Pradipta Shome wrote:
Can someone explain how to affix the drill to the Portalign tool.

Most hand drills have 3/8"-24tpi threaded shank, and the three-jaw chuck
is threaded on. Open the chuck jaws fully, and reach down with a screwdriver,
and remove the retaining screw (usually LEFT HAND THREAD and Philips #2 fits)
then the chuck (RIGHT HAND thread) can be unscrewed. If it doesn't unthread easily, chuck up a hex
key and strike with mallet to break the threads loose.

The Portalign shaft screws on in place of the chuck, and the other end of the shaft
takes the three-jaw chuck.

If that procedure is above your pay grade, you should prolly "chuck"
it and get a newer model:
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/portabledrillguide.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Cyberosity!, Coffee Tim wrote:
September 22, 2019
I bought mine in the early 80's and it is still working good. Today on Amazon
I found two similar units that are designed to be like the Portalign tool. A
bit more costly for one of them and REALLY expensive for the other one.Unless
you are just collecting tools I would say take a look at the generic brands
there and on eBay. I think the Portalign is great for portable use since a
drill press is usually heavy and stationary. Besides, it is easier to take up
a ladder and use it on the roof.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ol-210083-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Doug Miller, Coffee Tim wrote:
I bought mine years ago and have no complaints. Not everyone needs micrometer
accuracy for our homeowner building projects and repairs.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ol-210083-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Bridger, Coffee Tim wrote:
DITTO!!! Well said!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ol-210083-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Spalted Walt, Coffee Tim wrote:
Sure hope that was a friend of yours that you gave that rude response to.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ol-210083-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Coffee Troll wrote:

Sure hope that was a friend of yours that you gave that rude response to.

Ease up on the caffeine, Troll.
Buh Bye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvXReAHre0