Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginner Question on Templates

Hi all,

My wife bought me a sign making kit for Christmas and I have had a lot
of fun making signs using the pre-made letters included in the kit.

She also found a DVD that Jim Bartz narrated on the subject of relief
carving and engraving.

He mentioned in his DVD that you could use pretty much any computer
software to create templates to transfer to a piece of wood, but I
have not figured out how to do this with MS Word or even MS Paint.

My problem is that would like to create a template say 36 inches long
and 18 inches in width, but I can't adjust these two programs to give
me that big of a layout or I don't know how?

So my question is, does anyone know how to adjust the page sizes in
these programs to do what I am attempting to do or is there a cheap
software program out there that anyone knows of that will allow me to
do this.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:42:21 -0700, JKSLIDER wrote:

[...]

Word appears to have a limit of 22 x 22 inches, although it may be printer
dependent.

Writer, part of OpenOffice 3.0 (http://www.openoffice.org) doesn't appear
to have the same constraints, I just tried 48 x 96 inches, and it gladly
took that size, no idea how well it will print out, but the program is
free.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Word gets it page sizes from the current printer. Get something like
the free PDF Creator print drive (it makes free PDF's). Then you will
have more sizes and also a Postscript custom page size capability and
you can create any size yu want. Print to PODF then go to Kinkos and
print it big. Or try printing the pdf to your normal size printer and
see if the driver is smart enough or has the option to tile into
multiple sheets.

On Apr 21, 10:42*am, JKSLIDER wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

I used to use a piece of software called "tile print" to resize any
image file to any size. The nice thing is that you can be extremly
accurate about your final output file size. There is a demo version that
you can get from www.blackflight.com/tileprint/ and a fully licenced
copy is only $15. But to be honest if you are only going to use it for
templates then you would probably get away with permanantly using the
trial as the only restriction is that it prints a banner on the final image.

It is a couple of years since I used it but I found it very good.

Only thing is you would need to create your template in an art package
(even windows paint - which comes with windows would do) and then use
that image to create your full sized image.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 21, 2:21*pm, John Picton wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

that image to create your full sized image.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you to everyone who replied to this post, I really appreciate
the help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
[...]

Old slide projectors are a dime-a-dozen and available all over the
place. Print onto a piece of transparency. I think your layout should
be targeted at 2 x 2" then cut to size. Then you can project onto
anything you like and trace. An old overhead is pretty cool too, but a
bit harder to come by.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Try using MS PowerPoint - you should be able to create a large page
size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some printers can print in banner mode. Years ago dot matrix
was king in this - now bubble and laser.

Look at the printer booklet or print queue software.

Martin