jack

Default Beginner framing question

Finishing my basement, putting up stud walls. I am building the walls
in-place.
When using an air gun, how many nails do I use to toenail the studs. I have
read it is two for the top and two for the bottom.
Questions :
Do the nails go on the same side of stud?
For both top and bottom, do the nails go on the same side ?

Like I said, beginner questions.... Thanks for your time and patience.

jack wrote:

Finishing my basement, putting up stud walls. I am building the walls
in-place.
When using an air gun, how many nails do I use to toenail the studs. I have
read it is two for the top and two for the bottom.

http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page014.htm
has a nailing scedule for most normal things.

Since you're toenailing, and not end-nailing through the plate,
it wants you to put 4 8d nails at each end, two on either side.

Robert Allison

jack wrote:

Finishing my basement, putting up stud walls. I am building the walls
in-place.
When using an air gun, how many nails do I use to toenail the studs. I have
read it is two for the top and two for the bottom.
Questions :
Do the nails go on the same side of stud?
For both top and bottom, do the nails go on the same side ?

Like I said, beginner questions.... Thanks for your time and patience.

Two nails on one side and one on the other at both ends of the
stud. Doesn't matter which side has 2 and doesn't matter if they
are the same or opposite top to bottom.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Joe Bobst

Two nails on one side and one on the other at both ends of the stud.
Doesn't matter which side has 2 and doesn't matter if they are the same or
opposite top to bottom.

Crusty old timers in our area do it that way. They also prefer the sequence
single nail center top and bottom, then opposite side two nails whichever is
handier. The two single nails allow easier fudging of the stud position before
the other nails really anchor it down.
If you dare ask them why they don't use 4 nails, be prepared for a long
harangue about the lousy lumber you're providing. HTH

Joe