Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Box joint table saw jig

The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

.... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote:

The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

Don't want to pee on somebody's parade, but looks to me like a lot of
complexity for what is basically a very straight forward task.

I give you Fred Bingham's book for reference.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Here is what you need to build, scroll down to the second project on this
page

http://www.sentex.ca/~mwandel/built/..._machines.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Where are the plans? I went to his website but don't seem to be able
to find them.

Follow the link and go to the bottom of the pages. You find'm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

Careful there Swingman some here will not be able to figure out how to use
Sketchup. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote:

The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

Don't want to pee on somebody's parade, but looks to me like a lot of
complexity for what is basically a very straight forward task.

I give you Fred Bingham's book for reference.

Lew

But it is pretty cool, I'll not be getting rid of my Leigh Jig Box Joint
template any time soon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

But it is pretty cool, I'll not be getting rid of my Leigh Jig Box
Joint template any time soon.

Even that is overkillgrin, and yes it is "cool" if you like
complexity..

I'm trying to remember the comic strip that featured the guy who would
take the simplest task and build the most complex machine to solve the
problem.

Was that Rube Goldberg by any chance?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Apr 16, 9:02 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:
But it is pretty cool, I'll not be getting rid of my Leigh Jig Box
Joint template any time soon.

Even that is overkillgrin, and yes it is "cool" if you like
complexity..

I'm trying to remember the comic strip that featured the guy who would
take the simplest task and build the most complex machine to solve the
problem.

Was that Rube Goldberg by any chance?

Lew

My life's a comic strip like that, except I rarely solve the problems.
And not by any chance. I do it deliberately. (smiley face) Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Was that Rube Goldberg by any chance?

Lew,

That would be the man...

http://www.rubegoldberg.com/

Joe
aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Here is what you need to build, scroll down to the second project on this
page

http://www.sentex.ca/~mwandel/built/..._machines.html

LOL ...but my BB doesn't have a keyboard.

Guy is amazing with his jig making, logical and methodical, two
qualities dear to my own heart.

The table saw "gear cutting" jig is also worth a look ... always wanted
an "Alice in Wonderland" pocket watch ... maybe cocabolo?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

Careful there Swingman some here will not be able to figure out how to use
Sketchup. ;~)

Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-17, Swingman wrote:

Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook.

Hmmm....

Strange that Google, a heavy linux based company, would only make Windows and Mac
versions of this sketchup software. Any linux recommendations?

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-17, Swingman wrote:

Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook.

Hmmm....

Strange that Google, a heavy linux based company, would only make Windows
and Mac
versions of this sketchup software. Any linux recommendations?

They bought the company. That is why it is the way that it is. They may
not think that the investment in making it linux compatible may be worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-17, Lee Michaels wrote:

They bought the company. That is why it is the way that it is. They may
not think that the investment in making it linux compatible may be worth it.

True dat. Thanks for the reply.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Box joint table saw jig - Gear template

Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

Cute. Easy to make too except (for me) the gears. To that end and in case
I actually make one someday here's a link to a gear template
generator...click on same at bottom right, the generator will load.
Unfortunately, you can't save the actual template page or even a working
link to it.
http://woodgears.ca/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Where are the plans? I went to his website but don't seem to be able
to find them.

======
http://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig_plans/index.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

Careful there Swingman some here will not be able to figure out how to use
Sketchup. ;~)

As though I/we needed taunting... Give credit where credit is due. The
man's an obvious genius, and his workmanship is topnotch. I was about to
remark on replacing the gear drive with a DC servo motor, ground ballscrew,
and linear slides, but I see he already did one with a stepper. It wouldn't
take much to put a microcontroller on it to drive it without a PC. I have an
old AVR Butterfly sitting around unused...

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Hmm - if you're going to do that, why not add a second motor to move the
stock over the blade too? Then you could do something else while it
makes the joint for you...

....and if you do that then you might as well add a third motor and build

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

so that it can make about any kind corner joint you can think of.

Pull out that Butterfly and a soldering pencil.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message

The write up was Dec 2007. It could very well work.

Good Point~

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Pull out that Butterfly and a soldering pencil.

Did you see what he did at?:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Everytime I see a Leigh jig, I think an X-Y table, and a router motor for
the spindle. One of these days, I'll actually do something about it. The
last time this came up, I ended up with a boxful of dozukis and waterstones
instead, which obviated the need (for the time being).

The single axis jig, as here in the box joint cutter, is a special case in
simplicity. It should work equally well on the router table, doing the job
of an Incra-style jig. The full set of Incra templates could reasonably be
stored in flash. The more I think about it, the simpler it seems and the
more generally useful (in the same way that an Incra jig is useful).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Did you see what he did at?:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel

http://woodgears.ca/jenga_pistol/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Did you see what he did at?:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel

Here, Sketch this: http://woodgears.ca/schulteiss/index.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Box joint table saw jig (Gears for Dummies)

Swingman wrote:

Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook.

And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable
difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are
(free) tools like

http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/

that produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other software).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 24, 11:33*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook. *

And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable
difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are
(free) tools like

* *http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/

that produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other software).

You'd need a .dxf import function that is pretty robust to take
advantage of that, eh?
:-^

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

You'd need a .dxf import function that is pretty robust to take
advantage of that, eh?
:-^

Who'd ever want to work with an import function that /wasn't/ robust?

(Says the guy who went "Phew!" when he successfully imported his first
gear dxf into his ancient DesignCAD Pro 2000)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have multiple cad packages that can do that.

I have a excel spread sheet that generates gears and the output
can be imported for a gear in my cad. Kinda neat. I made some
spiral gears that hang from a line and dangle below.

Martin

Swingman wrote:
Their problem ... this guy nicely illustrate that more than a few
intelligent, resourceful woodworkers have snapped to using SketchUp on
their own hook.

And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable
difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are
(free) tools like

http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/

that produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other software).

You'd need a .dxf import function that is pretty robust to take
advantage of that, eh?
:-^

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[...]

Now, exactly what, from ALL my posts in that thread shown above, brought
on this **** about "precise involute gear teeth with SU"??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Morris Dovey wrote:
And for us unintelligent, non-resourceful folks, who have unreasonable
difficulties drawing precise involute gear teeth with SU, there are
(free) tools like

http://www.forestmoon.com/Software/GearDXF/

that produce DXF files of gears for use with DummyCAD (and other
software).

Now, exactly what, from ALL my posts in that thread shown above, brought
on this **** about "precise involute gear teeth with SU"??

Probably the mistaken presumption of a shared understanding that the role of
the gears in precisely positioning the work implies a free turning, backlash
free mechanism. I think I would have just cut a hob on the knee mill and
made the plywood gears that way. Very little drawing or figuring involved,
obviating the obvious problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Now, exactly what, from ALL my posts in that thread shown above, brought
on this **** about "precise involute gear teeth with SU"??

My apologies - I was experiencing an adversity/frustration overload and
shouldn't have posted anything anywhere...

....and MikeWhy was right that one of the headaches involved backlash in
a trough-type reflector tracking mechanism subject to (mostly)
unpredictable wind loading.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 11:30*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Now, exactly what, from ALL my posts in that thread shown above, brought
on this **** about "precise involute gear teeth with SU"??

My apologies - I was experiencing an adversity/frustration overload and
shouldn't have posted anything anywhere...

...and MikeWhy was right that one of the headaches involved backlash in
a trough-type reflector tracking mechanism subject to (mostly)
unpredictable wind loading.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Meshy business, that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
...and MikeWhy was right that one of the headaches involved backlash in a
trough-type reflector tracking mechanism subject to (mostly) unpredictable
wind loading.

I haven't actually ever made a hob, but know of the general principles. If
your gears are non-metallic, wood or GRP, the problem might be even simpler.
Better still, if the geartrain is a worm gear, a simple tap -- the things
used to cut internal threads -- are perfectly serviceable hobs for cutting
the worm wheel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote:

I haven't actually ever made a hob, but know of the general
principles. If your gears are non-metallic, wood or GRP, the problem
might be even simpler. Better still, if the geartrain is a worm
gear, a simple tap -- the things used to cut internal threads -- are
perfectly serviceable hobs for cutting the worm wheel.

Hobbing is the least accurate but highest production rate process for
making a gear.

Least back lash is with a worm/wheel drive.

The higher the ratio, the less the back lash.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
...and MikeWhy was right that one of the headaches involved backlash
in a trough-type reflector tracking mechanism subject to (mostly)
unpredictable wind loading.

I haven't actually ever made a hob, but know of the general principles.
If your gears are non-metallic, wood or GRP, the problem might be even
simpler. Better still, if the geartrain is a worm gear, a simple tap --
the things used to cut internal threads -- are perfectly serviceable
hobs for cutting the worm wheel.

Your suggestion is appreciated, but this thing needs to be thermally
driven (as opposed to motor driven) - and if I need to use a geared
approach, it will probably be a sliding rack with one or two simple spur
gears.

It's one of those problems that /seems/ like should have a simple and
inexpensive solution, but every attempt so far has led to unacceptable
complexity and/or cost.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 2:27*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
MikeWhy wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Toothed belt? A la printhead on an inkjet? Bicycle sprocket
parts....VERY universal and cheap.
Or

Those nodding oil pump things I see all over the country-side around
Petrolia?
Your reciprocal motion on one end, the same, but fulcrummed (LOL) on
the other as a pump?

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
[...]

Locking against heavy loading would seem to suggest a worm. PV? A
Stirling pumped "hydraulic" motor/water wheel? I know... complexity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Bicycle sprocket parts....VERY universal and cheap.

Hmm - I hadn't though about this, but will.

Those nodding oil pump things I see all over the country-side around
Petrolia?

This comes closest to what I'm working on - except that that the power
source is solar heat. I think I can make it work with a flat panel, but
the efficiency (which translates into ROI here) goes way up if
high-temperature heat is used. That requires a collector aiming
mechanism to track the sun.

Recently I got a video of the first engine actually pumping water (not
doing a very good job yet, but still not bad for a first try) in Pakistan.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Elsewhere/

The sight glass on the piston shows the pump displacement, and the
pumped volume should match that. I think their problem is check valves
with too-strong springs.

The sun-tracker will, of course, need to make one (controlled) cycle per
day, and somehow (automagically) start out facing east in the morning.

Your reciprocal motion on one end, the same, but fulcrummed (LOL) on
the other as a pump?

Exactly! The same, only different! (ROFL)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar